Cottage Cheese!! (the food lol)

Options

Replies

• devan44
    devan44 Posts: 130
    Options
    I put Franks RedHot Buffalo Wing sauce in mine - but seriously I put that **** on everything!
  • lwanbaugh81
    lwanbaugh81 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I put a big thing of it in the blender with some ranch dip powder and make alot lower calorie dip for veggies or baked potato chips!!
  • tlkrallman
    Options
    Bump
  • AbbyCar
    AbbyCar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Pineapple and chopped nuts.
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I cut the top off a large tomato, scoop out the seeds, fill it with cottage cheese that has been mixed with some salt, pepper, italian herbs and a dash of parmesan cheese. Mmmmmmm....
  • brits111383
    Options
    I have been eating so much cottage cheese lately because it's so good for BCAA's and strength training recovery!

I have made a pretty yummy no-guilt broccoli cheese soup with ff cottage cheese and nutritional yeast. The super duper secret is I boil whole carrots and the icky part of the broccoli without the florets, then puree the veggies and the water from the boiling (so that any "lost nutrients" from boiling still end up in the soup) to make a nice thick base, then I add ff cottage cheese, vegetable base, nutritional yeast, seasonings, etc. -- no cream or bad stuff needed! You really have no idea there are carrots in the soup base -- promise!

I also second the ice cream working well -- my current favorite is an Orange Julius sort of flavor made by blending a bag of clementines I wasn't very impressed with (so sad! dry/weird consistency), stevia, ff cottage cheese, half of a clementine peel, vanilla extract, and a few packets of orange Emergen-C, then throwing the blend in the ice cream maker. The clementines definitely found a good use instead of ending up in the trash!
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I like cottage cheese with cucumbers and I have started using it as a replacement for salad dressing on salads.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Tried it for the first time a couple of weeks back and was surprised that it tasted salty, wasn't expecting that especially since people suggested eating it with fruit.

Cottage cheese has lots of added sodium ..... you can find low sodium (no salt added) varieties too.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Any type of fruit is pretty good with it. Some granola on top and a smidge of maple syrup makes it dreamy.

I also found this protein eggnog recipe around xmas: On this youtube channel which makes good use of it. My blender doesn't really blend the curds very well, sadly.

I'll have to try the cheese pasta recipe, it sounds yummy. I haven't had mac n' cheese in sooo long!
  • caffeinel
    Options
    Bump! Awesome thread, I'm a newcomer to cottage cheese and I love it ! :)

Enjoying all the new ways to prepare it :DD
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I love it and eat it plain, but for a little kick, I'll add a flavor enhancer, some sweetener (if I want sweet) or sriracha, if I want a bite.
  • hamonk
    hamonk Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    For a meal I like it on whole great wide noodles with lots of pepper and some salt. The cottage cheese gets gooey with the hot noodles and turns into yummy goodness. I'm Hungarian so my mom used to make that for us a LOT when we were kids. Our version of Mac N Cheese.
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I hated cottage cheese (except for in a shake) until I tried it with diced grilled chicken, franks hot sauce and celery and carrots on the side. Talk about amazing, it's like a chicken wing party without the guilt!
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Love, love cottage cheese!

Plain on top of tomato slices
    Scooped with RF Wheat Thins
    In a bowl with tomato sauce on top (or on top of sourdough bread)

I seriously have a craving now! Grocery store, here I come! Favorite Brand is Knutsen Low Fat (in the pink tub). Every other brand or fat version just doesn't taste the same.
  • nadz6012
    nadz6012 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I like adding sugar free jelly in mine. Kind of mimics these:

Oj01VYP.jpg
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I use mine with pita chips.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    When I want salty I add sea salt, black pepper, and chopped tomato and scallions.

When I want sweet I add either fresh pineapple, strawberries, or blueberries. Or all three.
  • johnnyhuff790
    Options
    I hated cottage cheese (except for in a shake) until I tried it with diced grilled chicken, franks hot sauce and celery and carrots on the side. Talk about amazing, it's like a chicken wing party without the guilt!

Nothing new from what has already been mentioned...I am so going to try this though ...sounds really good...
  • pamcuster
    pamcuster Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a "breakfast sundae:"
    dice 1/2 banana
    1 scoop (about half cup) cottage cheese
    2 tsp strawberry jam (I make my own low sugar freezer jam - I love it on cottage cheese!)
    and sprinkle granola on top for some crunch.

It's my go-to when my boys are having ice cream sundaes, or when I want something sweet for breakfast with some protien.

I love all these ideas!

YES!!!
    I just had a bowl with:
    1/3 of a banana, mashed
    1/4 cup of cottage cheese (made it myself for the first time a couple of days ago!)
    1/4 cup of greek yogurt
    1/2 tablespoon of Smucker's Simply Fruit Blueberry
    2 tablespoons of my Maple Cashew Granola

I *LOVE* this combo! And thanks for all these other great ideas!