Logging food ahead of time

Options

Replies

• ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I log my meals/snacks for the day in the morning and adjust later if I need to. (ie. portion sizes) This keeps me from getting to the end of the day and seeing I'm 500 calories over/under my daily goal.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I log it after I eat it. Sometime I eat more than I thought, or less than I thought.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I will pre-log dinner. That helps me figure out what I need to load with during the day, or keep away from, in order for it to balance out a little better. Once I started doing that I found that I was better able to hit my macros.
  • daniellegwilliam
    daniellegwilliam Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I do ALL the time. It keeps me accountable, and if i dont pre plan, I rush in the morning/evening and make bad choices. I usually Log 2-3 days in advance most of my meals.
  • elena0559
    elena0559 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Wow thank you so much for all of the great advice! This has been working for me lately and I see that a lot of you suggest doingit a week ahead to not waste you already have. That is a great idea! So I glad I am here with you all!
  • originalkazila
    Options
    I almost always prelog. It helps me know what portion sizes I need and how it relates to what I can eat later.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I normally log before I eat if not right after. If I plan on being away for the day and have my food planned I will log it the night before.
  • Biitchstix
    Options
    I still live at home, so if my mum is making food (she makes family dinner almost every night) I just ask her to write down the ingredients so I can log them and portion out how much I plan on having.
    Otherwise I'll just log in on my phone while I'm cooking.
  • tlesa88
    tlesa88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I also prelog before eating. It gives me a sense of whether or not I need to cut out anything because of going over my calorie limit. It's also nice to plan because if I don't want to cut anything out I can just workout a little longer to keep the foods in the meal :) I think it's a great idea!
  • skeeter2584
    skeeter2584 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi, elena0559. I think that's a very smart idea because you can see in advance how many calories, fat grams, etc it's going to cost you. Once you eat that food, there's no turning back! If you're dissatisfied with the nutritional info, you still have a chance to change your mind and/or compensate with exercise.
  • phykes203
    Options
    I pre-log, especially if I know I'm tempted to eat something I shouldn't. Eating what I haven't entered means more work so I tend not to eat it. Whatever works.
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I swing both ways, most times log after but not infrequently log before. Depends on timing and mood. But no matter what I log the day.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I don't pre-log breakfast, but I do sometimes make calculations and recipes according to my macros and micros for lunch and dinner. I always pre-log after dinner snacks.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I log in food ahead of time--it helps. The only thing I find a nuisance is if I forget to eat something I have already logged.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Options
    When I'm going to be out all day long, I weight my food, log it and do modifications (if required); then I cook it (in the morning or the night before) after that I store it in tupperwares. I just cook for me so it's not a big deal.
  • ShaunDen
    ShaunDen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I USUALLY LOG IN MY FOOD FOR A WEEK AND ADJUST AS NEED UNLESS I HAVE TO GO GROCERY SHOPPING BUT I MAKE SURE ALL MY MEALS FOR THE DAY AR LOGGED SO I DON'T GO OVER:laugh:
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    That's what I do, and it's been working great! I figure out my whole food menu for the day while I have my morning coffee. It keeps everything really simple that way. Good luck :D

That ^ is exactly what I do, then if I need to I adjust if I make changes throughout the day and hit the "complete" button when I know I'm all done.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I pre-log anything at all that I know I'll be eating in the next few days. If there is something that needs using up in the fridge I add that in so I have less waste and know what I'm having beforehand too!
  • AmyBecky74
    AmyBecky74 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I usually always pre-log my food so I know what I can and can't eat and how much I have to work-out.
  • Jean251
    Jean251 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I pre-log both my food and exercise in the morning. And then I follow through. Pre-logging my workout helps me figuring out how many calories I have that day. Next, I plan what I'm gonna eat based on the number. I will adjust my meals as necessary but try to stay within the goal. It works for me so far! Good luck!