Logging food ahead of time

Options

Replies

• MimiCro
    MimiCro Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    i see a lot of people who have their meals planned do it, and they stick to it...
    i tried it few times, but my lifestyle is so spontaneous, and changing every hour, i cant really keep up with it
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I pre-log a week in advance! It makes it easier for me to plan my food shopping. But I normally change a couple of snacks a day
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I can't really do that because my food choices are almost entirely based on craving. I'm not the type of person that can stick to specific meals on specific days; if I don't want it, then I won't make/eat it.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I've done it for today. I'm going to a beast of a circuit class tonight and wanted to make sure I eat enough to fuel. Its sometimes useful for making sure I'm going to hit macros,
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    It's a personal choice. I log it all in the morning, because I eat essentially the same thing every day, and know what I will add in if I work out.

My husband logs at the end of the day and always wonders how he got this or that number.

Your results may be different.
  • momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I always log everything ahead of time. Usually the night before but definetly before I eat it. I try to keep my macros in check and I find that if I log first it keeps my chioces better.
  • auntiejack
    auntiejack Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I log breakfast and dinner in the morning. Then I know what I have left for the rest of the day and can play around a little during the day.
    Seems to be working at the moment
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yep, i do it, then you stick to it.
  • wmstormvet
    Options
    I do log food ahead of time once in a while. I don't do this for daily meals, even if I have the same thing. I only do it if I know we are doing something out of the ordinary, like beer and buffalo wings. I log that early in the day so that I can watch how much I eat the other meals of the day before going, and also so I can make sure to exercise enough so I don't gain from my splurgee. As I said, this isn't often, once or maybe twice a month, just when we have our cheats.
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I usually log breakfast and lunch the night before so I can plan ahead for dinner. Very helpful!
  • jzebracki
    jzebracki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I often do that so that I stay in my calories! It helps give you a road map for the day - as long as you stick to what you put down and make any necessary changes.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I log ahead too. I usually do it while I'm eating breakfast or right after. It really helps me to stay on track through the day. And if any changes come up (sometimes hubby doesn't want leftovers, lol) I can always go in and see if the changes would fit in with my day. It seems to work a lot better for me than logging each meal at a time.
  • LacyJean1
    LacyJean1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    my work schedule is crazy. I often times have to make my meals a day or two in advance. I always log them in when I make them.
  • lkeverett1
    lkeverett1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I always try to pre-log my food and exercise for the day. This helps me to stay on track. Otherwise I tend to want to skip excercise "just that day" and if I pre-log I know I have to exercise to keep my numbers straight.
  • CathyDW95
    Options
    Huh. I seem to be the lone person here that doesn't pre-log my food. I log it after I eat. I had asked my doctor when I was at my heaviest weight how many calories I need to lose weight. I keep that number in my head and as I log in my food, I make adjustments for breakfast and lunch. I stay a little under the number he gave me so that I can splurge a little on dinner. Seems to be working for me! :)
  • SlvrBluGoddess
    SlvrBluGoddess Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I don't always prelog... but on weekdays I tend to prelog my lunch & snacks that I have for work.
  • norghost
    Options
    I log/plan the next day sometimes. Frees up some time that next day and also minimizes the chance of impulse snacking when everything's already set up.
  • _Tara_R
    _Tara_R Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I always pre-log. It really helps me stay on track!
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I log everything the night before during the week and usually on weekends I'll log as I go since I sometimes sleep in and miss breakfast, or don't eat much lunch, etc. During the school week though, I log the next day the night before.
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I find that logging ahead of time.. sometimes gives me the time to reconsider whether I really want to be eating what I'm about to eat :happy:

This, and it makes me happy when I can say at the end of the day, "Yay! I can delete that!"
    This! I have started pre-logging kcals only for the entire week, and then add meals when I've decided what to eat. Ingenious.