Please read and help...very discouraged

Options
13»

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I actually DID just pick up a yoga DVD yesterday to try...we will have to see i guess! My fitting is mid-march, so i have about a month until then. I WAS wondering about cutting out bread, but it's just so tough. I've cut it out of dinner though, so that's a start!!

With the gluten...I did think that maybe the gluten could be a problem, but when I was tested for IBS i was also tested for gluten intolerance and it turned out negative. could gluten still be the problem even without an intolerance?

Did they test you for gluten intolerance or coeliac? most of the time they test for coeliac but it is possible to have anegative test for coeliac but still have problems with gluten. I would suggest cutting it out for a month and see how it goes.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Looked through your diary. You need to change your macros. Your carbs are way too high. Go to you home page, goals, change goals, custom. Keep your calories, enter 35% protein, 35% carbs, 30% fat.

Or 35% fat and 30% protein.

This has worked for every single person I've not to try it. I'm 99.9% sure your only problem here is the carbs. Get plenty of protein in. Will help you recover from training and keep you full. Don't be scared of fat. Good fats are essential. Of you want any further advice PM me. Give it 4 weeks by then you'll see how it is working.

If not doesn't work I will eat my hat!

Also look at eating back 50% of your workout calories instead of all of them and extra.

Zara
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    I actually DID just pick up a yoga DVD yesterday to try...we will have to see i guess! My fitting is mid-march, so i have about a month until then. I WAS wondering about cutting out bread, but it's just so tough. I've cut it out of dinner though, so that's a start!!

With the gluten...I did think that maybe the gluten could be a problem, but when I was tested for IBS i was also tested for gluten intolerance and it turned out negative. could gluten still be the problem even without an intolerance?

If you are considering cutting out bread, you could still have your muffin in the morning, just eat the inside and not the bread, and your sandwich at lunch could be wrapped in lettuce instead of bread. That would let you still eat what you normally do but with a couple of small tweaks. Also, for that late night snack you could get almonds instead of a cookie. They make chocolate covered almonds that only have 10 calories more than plain ones - so yummy. You appear to be doing all the right things as far as exercise goes, you just need to relax a little more and try not to stress about the little things. Thats really the best advice I would give.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I checked your diary and I would suggest switching some of those sandwiches with something healthier - salads for example. Instead of the egg on english muffin, have an omlette with mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes, etc. and skip the bread. Have veggies with dinner as well. I noticed that there are very few fruit or vegetables entries in your diary (granted, I only went back 1 week) - also, you skipped a couple of days of logging - being consistent is really key - even if you had a really "bad" day eating wise, you should log it.

Drink lots of water and you should lose by your wedding date!
  • danzlake
    Options
    Stick to it girl. I also started a very similar routine around the first of the year. I have cut back on carbs, but not radically. What has worked for me, FINALLY, was increasing my walking from 30 minutes to 90 minutes. At 30 minutes I wasn't seeing much progress. At 90 minutes, the weight is literally PEELING off.

For me though, it isn't about the weight loss. It's about getting more fit again. I try not to pay any attention to the scale, although I weigh every day. I try to remember, "if you do the right things, the right things will happen."

My track coach friend says that to lose weight you have to go to 90 minutes as much as possible. It's hard to schedule, but it's worth it. Hang in there.

Reid
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I can also open up my diary, although after reading replies i know exactly what's wrong with it...I'm counting CALORIES but not WHAT i eat...for example i will eat less during the day so i can have a cupcake or something...WRONG IDEA. embarrassing!

No I think you had the right idea! Calories in vs. calories out is the main factor in weight loss. If you save the calories and want a cupcake, then I don't see the harm in that.

I had a nice long 6 Month plateau doing in calories in vs calories out. Looked at the macros and off comes another 50lbs...
  • gennafer731
    gennafer731 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Based on what you said I would recommend you double the amount of water you drink, it will help with water weight, bloat, and help you digest. Do not eat anything for 3 hours before you go to bed, especially sweets because it turns to fat faster and can keep you up late worrying if you are already stressed. If you NEED the sweets eat them early in the day when you have a chance to work them off. I will say chocolate milk and a cookie are not really a night time snack, maybe you could eat half of one or the other and count it as a snack. Also pizza in any form other than homemade from flatbread with veggies is totally wreck your diet. On my cheat day my husband and I eat sushi or eat at seafood restaurant. You still have to stick close to your proper calorie count on cheat days, you can just eat more "unhealthy" than idea but you can't blow the calorie count out the window or the rest of the week didn't make any difference.
  • You are doing great but I know from experience that I have to get rid of the bread and more carbs to lose better. Keep up the good work and you'll reach your goal in no time!:smile:
  • brbell1103
    brbell1103 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure a woman, without the benefit of testosterone and in a calorie deficit is not "building muscle". That would be physiologically impossible.

Really? I find that statement funny.

Glad I could amuse. What would be so funny about it?

I think its the testosterone part. Or, that at 155 lbs and 1600 cals a day, she's not in that much of a deficit. And that what men consider "building muscle" and what women do are two toally different things. That she loses inches, but not pounds shows a change in body composition. That's all.
  • JasonP5150
    JasonP5150 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bridetobe;

You should also realize many who have undergone laparoscopic appendectomies struggle with changes to metabolism and weigh gain. I think you have zeroed in on why you have plateaued and have a good plan going forward. I would encourage you to increase water intake as have others posting before me and echo that regardless what you eat you should log it. knowing what you are putting in your body is critical to health, many foods packaged today are simply poison. I am willing to bet if you are like me the reason you aren't logging the days you cheat it's because you don't want to know..:wink:

I also sensed a little hostility toward the fiance regarding him eating pizza in front of you.... I was divorced and had to learn some hard lessons about boundaries and communications. If you need support, ask for it and tell him you cannot eat with him if it's affecting your goals. I may be off base but it sounded like you were harboring some resentment over that and I would encourage you not to. Speak your mind or come to peace with it because those little things can suffocate a marriage.

I think you are a winner and you will undoubtedly be a beautiful bride!
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I would reconsider the whole idea of "Cheat." Do you want to create a lifestyle that you can sustain, feeling great and maintaining a size you are happy with, or do you want to "diet" for a time? If cookies are a happy part of your life, then find a way to fit them in (I do think you should try getting rid of wheat, though- maybe some dark chocolate will fill that spot?)

"Cheat" implies you are doing something wrong, that you are struggling to be "good" and then food is a reward. You mentioned you felt embarrassed about your diary. It sounds like you are really falling into a dieting mindset, which is not the way to create a healthy, balanced lifestyle!

My experience: This fall, I wasn't logging on the weekends, or days where I had a "bad" day, and I saw no movement on the scale. (I only had 15 to lose, as well) I resolved to just log everything, no matter how ridiculous (yes, my friends, that DOES say one BOTTLE of champagne) and it helped me to see that yes, I really can undo my whole deficit in one day!

I'm looking at the weekly averages more now, and logging everything, and I'm finally experiencing slow but steady weight loss. The first three weeks after New Years I dropped 8 pounds fast, and now it's a slow .5 per week. It's more exciting when it's fast, but if .5 pounds per week means I can eat in this great and sustainable way, then I just have to be patient.

Also, make sure if you make changes you wait a few weeks before deciding it did/didn't work. Good luck!!!!

As a reply to everyone...

YES i agree with the yoga suggestion! will start trying it tonight :)

I can also open up my diary, although after reading replies i know exactly what's wrong with it...I'm counting CALORIES but not WHAT i eat...for example i will eat less during the day so i can have a cupcake or something...WRONG IDEA. embarrassing!

I did not really know that watching what exactly goes in can influence more than calories...i will have to keep a closer eye on my sodium, and try to cut down on gluten and sweets!

and the cheat day...oh gosh this is awful! i listened to my friend who said that one unlogged, unlimited cheat day a week is good because it throws your body out of its routine...? now that's sounding like a load of bull****. I don't even log my cheat days, and i think i will. and I think you're right...no cheat "days", just a cheat "meal" or two! and I guess i have to stop with the sweet bedtime snack too huh :/

i feel encouraged reading that some people gained or stayed the same before losing. really helpful!

looks like i will have to maybe keep the exercise the same, add yoga, and modify my diet to cut out the "cheat day", add fluids, lessen gluten and sodium, and take out those sweets!

it's hard not being super educated about the body and trying to lose weight! i will keep every suggestion in mind, thank you all for your help.
  • anbegley
    anbegley Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Looked back through your diary and yes, I would totally watch sodium. It is a killer. Your ham, eggs, cheeses, celery, etc are all high in that.
    Also, I have always had a cheat day and never logged it. Yes, since you are wanting to lose by a certain date, either ditch it or log it. I am down almost 50 pounds without that logged cheat day, but I didn't have a deadline.
    Anyway, keep it up and hope you get the results you are looking. and Congrats on getting married.
    Ang
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Custom BMR Calculation

Thanks for checking your BMR here on Fat 2 Fit Radio. If you're not already subscribed to Fat 2 Fit Radio, consider doing so today. Please visit the Subscribe page to get the podcast delivered automatically to your iTunes, Juice, e-mail inbox or the podcatcher of your choice for FREE.

Entered information: 23 year old female, 63 inches tall, weighing 155 pounds, BMI of 27.5 (Overweight).

From the information that you entered, you'd like to weigh 140 lbs.

Harris-Benedict Formula

There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1517 calories.

SOOOOOOO many people think eating 1200 and 1300 is enough......GET OFF THE Scale take measurements input your data and EAT.....YOUR BMR (in a coma) is 1500 Your TDEE is probably around 2000 SOOOOOO....Eat at least 1500 BMR calories and add your exercise calories burnt on top of that......Try to burn a TDEE of approx 2000-2200 and you will lose inches first and %BF first....Chicks always do...GET OFF THE SCALE. Your workouts seem fine. GOOD LUCK
  • TerriAnne53
    TerriAnne53 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I also recommend ditching the wheat and reading "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis.
    I totally agree. I have also read "Wheat Belly" and totally agree with most of what he wrote. I have not ate any wheat products for atleast 5 weeks. I have lost 17.2 lbs. since Jan 6th 2013. I only walk and shovel snow for excercise. so nothing really strenuous. I have lost 1 inch on bust, 1 inch on waist, 1 inch on hips, and 1/2 inch on each thigh-so total of 4 inches since Jan 6th. I do not eat back my excercies calories, because I don't feel I need them with my type of excercies. I ususally have breakfast within 1 hr of getting up, along with a glass of warm water with the juice of a whole fresh squeezed lemon. I also drink 1/2 my body weight in oz. of water daily. I will have a morning, afternoon or evening snack depends on how I feel after my walks or shovelling snow. I have 2 sisters that have cut out gluten, one lost 80 lbs over a 1 year period and has kept it off for over 2 years. 1 sister has lost 55 lbs in 4 months. neither one of them eat gluten anymore and are doing great. just have patience and you will succed. good luck
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure a woman, without the benefit of testosterone and in a calorie deficit is not "building muscle". That would be physiologically impossible.

Really? I find that statement funny.

Glad I could amuse. What would be so funny about it?

I think its the testosterone part. Or, that at 155 lbs and 1600 cals a day, she's not in that much of a deficit. And that what men consider "building muscle" and what women do are two toally different things. That she loses inches, but not pounds shows a change in body composition. That's all.

Well building muscle is building muscle. It's not different for men or women. It is called hypertrophy as opposed to atrophy which is losing muscle mass. Makes no difference whether she is in a small or a large deficit. muscle building is an anobolic process and requires a calorie surplus. Also, the reason testosterone helps is because it is an anabolic hormone. This is why men in a calorie surplus can gain muscle tissue faster than women in a calorie surplus.

With a few excpetions, neither men or women can "gain muscle", as in hypertrophy in a calorie deficit. The exceptions are an obese or overfat person or a newbie starting strength training. The gain is a couple of pounds at most. Losing inches but not pounds shows some fat loss, but not likely any muscle gain other than water and glycogen storage from starting an exercise program. FTR, body recompostiion is possible but it is a very lengthy and tedious process and requires eating a caloric maintenace and strength training.

The OP could certainly be experiencing slight newbie gains or improving her existing muscle structure but is not likely to be gaining muscle beyond newbie gains.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    You should realize that anything worth having is worth working hard for.....alllllllll the way until you get there. And then you start working toward the next thing and the next thing and the next thing.

You can't start working toward something and a month into it say, 'well this is harder than I thought, so I'm probably going to give up, even though I really don't want to, because I don't think I can reach my goals.'

You can't aim for a goal haphazardly without a plan and without knowledge and comprehension of what it will take and expect yourself to make consistent progress, much less reach where you are aiming.

You could save yourself some pain, agony and frustration and learn the best way to go about reaching your goals, by trying this, trying that, moving on to this, moving on to that, this doesn't work after a month - so try this, etc - THEN settle in with the idea that it is going to take a WHILE. Yes more than 3 months - if it takes less- awesome! If it takes more - well, you're YOU - you can totally handle it.

If you are doing the correct workouts to reach your goal, and eating within the proper nutrition and calorie window to be able to handle those workouts and your everyday life, then you're doing it right.

If you are trying to give equal concentration to strength, cardio, flexibility and rest - then you're doing it right.

Keep doing it right. Think Big Picture - not micro managing each day.

What will get you closer to where you want to be in April? Being consistent. Doing what you know you need to do, even if you aren't seeing the results yet. Because you might be one of those people that will work at something every day for three months and see nothing and in the fourth month see all the progress you ever wanted! (That's how it is with me). How sad if you dropped out when you were 3 or 4 weeks from meeting your goals....

Learn - especially that your body is going to have a secret sweet spot in all of this - specific just to you- and you will find it only through research, trial and error. Accept that today.
    Work hard.
    Be patient.
    Keep going....
    Don't stop unless it is for your victory dance.
    Then keep going.

Decide today that it is going to take a hell of a lot to stop you. You're no weak pushover and today is the day you're going to start proving it to the world.

And decide it is still important after April or all this is for nothing but pictures.
  • beanerific518
    Options
    You are trying to lose vanity pounds and this can be very difficult. I will tell you what worked for me to lose those last 10 pounds and keep them off.

I highly recommend figuring out your TDEE and doing a 15-20% cut max. Using http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ I ran your numbers based on the information you provided. You should be hitting about 1880 calories per day (this includes your exercise over the week) for fat loss. I agree with the others about adjusting your macros to get more protein. I look and feel my best at 30-30-40 protein-fat-carbs. I limit my grains and try to get my carbs from fruits and veggies. I eat lean proteins and get my fats from nuts, seeds and avacados.

For exercise, focus on heavy strength training. The term "heavy" is subjective. 4-5 reps to failure for strength and 8-10 reps for muscle growth. I recommend 4 or 5 sets of 8-10 reps to failure for you. You will not get bulky. Spend about 45 to 60 minutes doing strength training and follow it with 20 minutes of HIIT cardio.

Going this route takes time and commitment. You will probably not hit your goal for your April wedding. That being said, if you go this route, the potential to gain it back is minimized.

I am 5-4" as well, weigh 10 pounds less than you, 22% body fat, wear a size 6 and happily consume 2100 calories each day to maintain.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    You only drink 32oz of water per day? That is not nearly enough. Double it.