Does this seem correct to you?

Options
2»

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Regardless of whether what she says is true or not (although I call BS on most of it), this also sounds like way too much hard work to be sustainable.

You can only eat a certain cheese 3 times a week, you can only eat x amount of carbs per meal, you can only eat x amount of fat per meal but only if it is x amount of ADDITIONAL fat - what???

Just eat at a calorie deficit and have done with it.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you'd lose weight following those guidelines, but would you be miserable? Probably. This is a very strict regimen. It seems like you agree with some of those suggestions, so just pick one or two to start with, and add in more later if you still want to follow her plan. If you limit yourself too much too quickly you're more likely to get discouraged. Successful diet changes happen gradually.

I think she's a bit off saying your body 'can't distinguish' between fast food and nuts, avocados, or other natural fat sources. It's true that fat in any form should be eaten sparingly, but that doesn't mean you should never eat nuts or avocados. Quite the opposite actually. Context is everything when it comes to food. Avocados and cheeseburgers may have similar fat levels but vary on all other nutritional facts. Given the choice, I'd pick the avocado every time. If you don't LIKE fatty foods like that, that's one thing. But for her to say that you should avoid them based on fat content alone is silly.

I'm also confused as to why Laughing Cow spread (which is tasty to be sure) is somehow more okay than regular cheese. That almost sounds like a product placement. Everything in moderation, and if you like Laughing Cow then go for it. If you want different cheese though, eat your cheese.

I don't have anything to contribute to the white/brown rice debate in terms of which is healthier or lower carb, but unless rice is a large part of your daily diet I would agree that scrapping it altogether (for now at least) will make things simpler on you. If you enjoy it, try switching to brown. If you're like me and you think brown rice tastes awful, then keep your white rice portions small and spread out over the course of the month, not multiple times a week.

TL;DR, all I'm trying to say is that eliminating any one food group (group, not individual foods-- and she's basically nixed fat, carbs, cheeses and rices) is going to be problematic for you and not conducive to success. The nutritionist has some good suggestions, but that's all they are-- suggestions. She can't tell you what works for you, you'll have to figure that out as you go. But in my opinion changing too many things in your diet at once will just get too frustrating. Best of luck to you.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    If the rest of your diet has already provided sufficient fibre then there is no reason to eat brown rice instead of white rice unless you are diabetic.
  • JackiePenner
    JackiePenner Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ya, i second your BS call!
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    She sounds a bit silly to me....
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Never trust anyone that's a nutritionist and not a dietician. I could go out tonight, rent an office space, put a sign on the door that says I'm a nutritionist and start charging people to listen to my advice. No certification or degrees are needed for someone to call themselves a nutritionist in an official capacity, so really, she could just be (and is) spouting a lot of nonsense and charging you for it.

She works in my doctor's office, and my insurance covered it. So I guess that means she is legit? I don't know.

Regardless of where she works from, she's still a nutritionist, which requires absolutely no classes, degrees, or certification of any kind for someone to say they're a nutritionist. Tell your doctor that you would prefer that they refer you to a dietician if they must refer you to someone in the future.

No one telling anyone about how to lose weight will ever just have a blanket correct answer since everyone is functionally and mentally different when it comes to weight loss. But at least a dietician has actually gone to school to learn about the human body and earned a degree in the field that you are paying them to instruct you on.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Never trust anyone that's a nutritionist and not a dietician. I could go out tonight, rent an office space, put a sign on the door that says I'm a nutritionist and start charging people to listen to my advice. No certification or degrees are needed for someone to call themselves a nutritionist in an official capacity, so really, she could just be (and is) spouting a lot of nonsense and charging you for it.

She works in my doctor's office, and my insurance covered it. So I guess that means she is legit? I don't know.

Regardless of where she works from, she's still a nutritionist, which requires absolutely no classes, degrees, or certification of any kind for someone to say they're a nutritionist. Tell your doctor that you would prefer that they refer you to a dietician if they must refer you to someone in the future.

No one telling anyone about how to lose weight will ever just have a blanket correct answer since everyone is functionally and mentally different when it comes to weight loss. But at least a dietician has actually gone to school to learn about the human body and earned a degree in the field that you are paying them to instruct you on.

Agreed; this is certainly the case in the UK, where any person can call themselves a nutrition expert or nutritionis even if they have no training or qualifications in nutrition. In the UK the title of dietician can only be used by people who have met specified professional requirements and almost all of them belong to the British Dietetic Association, which gives them legal protection.

It makes me so mad when I see that people like the OP are genuinely trying to get well and proper advice and are taken for a ride. Not fair at all.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Is this a registered dietician or someone who calls themselves a nutritionist? Because nutritionist isn't a protected term, meaning ANYONE can call themselves a "nutritionist." There are websites where you can pay $50 and they'll send you a very professional looking certificate declaring that you are a certified nutritionist.

Dieticians have to attend school and pass a credentialing exam. No such requirement for "nutritionist."
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Seems like 50% of your diet will need to be protein while keeping fat around 15%. That will be real hard to do. I hope you enjoy eating a lot of canned tuna fish.

Any professional who recommends a fat free salad dressing over olive oil doesn't seem to be worth their weight. The only reason to recommend this is to force you to eat less calories, but it isn't better for you.

45 pounds over weight is quite a bit, but not so much that you need drastic measures to lose weight, unless you have other health risks/conditions going on. Just my opinion I am not a doctor.

I would seek out another nutritionist.