Is the South Beach Diet a good idea?

124»

Replies

• susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    I think the whole point of recommending a 'diet' is that thee seem to be a lot of people who have no clue how to eat. They need some direction. Plus everybody could use a menu suggestion now and then.

Also the word diet has lost it's true meaning. Diet is defined as "The kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats." Everybody is on a diet. It was probably back in the late 50s, early 60s when it gained the weight loss connotation.

So my ultimate point is that SB is pretty healthy and gives those of us who need it some guidance.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    I think it's acceptable, although unnecessarily restrictive for those that know better. If it gives you the confidence that you can change your eating habits and allows you to begin your own journey then that can only be a good thing.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    I think it's acceptable, although unnecessarily restrictive for those that know better. If it gives you the confidence that you can change your eating habits and allows you to begin your own journey then that can only be a good thing.

lol "those that know better"? i'm not sure i see the problem in cutting out refined grains...
  • spruitt417
    spruitt417 Posts: 101 Member

If you believe SBD is unnecessarily restrictive, you've never tried Atkins. I couldn't do it for 2 days, let alone 2 weeks!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    As far as "diets" go, I think SB is a great one...I also like the Mediterranean diet a lot. Both of these are lifestyles that you adopt more than they are a diet to go on and off of though...

In RE to the quick initial weight loss...you do lose some fat obviously, but most of the weight is water. In phase I you eliminate carbs other than veg. Carbs require your body to retain a lot of water to metabolize them...thus, when you eliminate them, your body lets that water go as well. Cutting the carbs also creates a calorie deficit in that many carbs are also calorie dense.

I tried SB a number of years ago and bailed...just couldn't get through phase I of no carbs. My wife and I pretty much follow stage 3 guidelines mixed in with some Mediterranean lifestyle with some good old junk food mixed in from time to time and eat at a deficit. Overall, the SB lifestyle is a very good one.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    I started SB in 2005, weighing 245 lbs. After one year of SB living I was at 170. I did gain back some, but in mine and SB's defense, I had two kids since then, and depression from the loss of my daughter. I wasn't healthy mentally and just didn't care to fuel my body with good foods.

It does restrict during the first phase.. but for me, I needed that restriction to retrain my body not to constantly pack in the sugar and carbs. By the time I was eating more carbs, I naturally did not crave them. SB saved my life honestly. It has taught me healthy ways to eat. I was a chips and coke gal., since 2004 I naturally limit junk food, and read EVERY label before buying it. ( also taught me how to read labels.) I eat only lean meats, whole grains, low fat dairy... all things sb encourages. I eat like a SB'er still, even here on MFP. Just varies now... some days my log looks like phase 1... some days its like phase 2, other days phase 3. I don't follow strictly now, I don't feel I need it, but THEN... I did. :) Any way of living that you dedicate at least a year to sticks with you, and carries over years later, even when you don't realize it, so choose wisely. Just because it is my idea of healthy living doesn't mean it's everyone's.

I believe you would have accomplished and learned to do all of that on your own.. but congrats on your success!
  • dixiewhiskey
    No
    why?

Cause it has the word diet in it.

A good idea is a permanent lifestyle change. That won't have a name (unless you give it one) and its something you follow for the rest of your life.

Another good idea is to work your a-- off, train hard and lift heavy. Your body will thank you for doing that and not following anything with the word diet in it.
    YOU are on a diet. Everyone here is on a diet. body builders are on a diet....

Actually I'm not but nice try :)
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Anything that excludes anything that is not a poison is too restrictive for me ;) ... It's just not necessary. Following macros, eating at least 80-90% whole foods (including lots of vegetables, fruit and water) and following a sensible exercise program will never sell a book though.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    I think it's totally decent from Phase 2 on. I think Phase 1's unnecessarily restrictive from a weight loss POV, and is really a bit of trickery - you do lose weight, which is motivating, but most of it's water, and yeah Phase 2 seems very doable in comparison to Phase 1, if you're coming off the standard american diet. It's like training wheels I guess.

If you don't need all that motivating (and don't want to punish yourself), ie you just want a decent quality of life and some actual weight loss, just go to Phase 2, which is sustainable and easy to follow & doesn't give you brain fog.
  • aynhagenbarth
    aynhagenbarth Posts: 75 Member
    You know what - I'd always just assumed this was another fad diet ala Adkins that was unsafe/unhealthy/etc because I never felt like it was worth looking into, and thus I was ignorant about it. But thanks to this thread, I did a little research, and turns out that it's a pretty awesome approach to eating!

The only thing is that it's a brilliant piece of marketing, because it slapped a name on the diet I already do on my own - only good carbs and good fats, etc. Is there anything else about it that makes it "unique"?

Also, I'd avoid the SBD brand foods for the simple reason that they're all made by Kraft Foods (ie: heavily processed), but overall I'm glad I learned something new today.

Rock on South Beachers!

That is awesome! Good for you for actually researching! I think people get caught up by the 2 weeks with no grains and fruit, but the intention of those 2 weeks are to rid your body of cravings. Which it completely works because I don't crave sweets at all. Then when you start slowly adding them in it teaches your body how to respond to fruit and grains without your body craving sweets right away. I love that slow process. Eventually I am now able to have a treat without getting out of control. It's a wonderful feeling. I love that during the initial 2 week period they encourage lots of vegetables. I am very leery of a diet that is so lo-carb they want to limit your veggies! that is just wrong.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I think it's totally decent from Phase 2 on. I think Phase 1's unnecessarily restrictive from a weight loss POV, and is really a bit of trickery - you do lose weight, which is motivating, but most of it's water, and yeah Phase 2 seems very doable in comparison to Phase 1, if you're coming off the standard american diet. It's like training wheels I guess.

If you don't need all that motivating (and don't want to punish yourself), ie you just want a decent quality of life and some actual weight loss, just go to Phase 2, which is sustainable and easy to follow & doesn't give you brain fog.
    I don't think it's necessary for most folks either (and nor does the diet itself say you HAVE to do phase 1). Phase 1 is for folks who WANT that jump start or who eat a lot of sugary carbs and crave them. A "detox" works for them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Anything that excludes anything that is not a poison is too restrictive for me ;) ... It's just not necessary. Following macros, eating at least 80-90% whole foods (including lots of vegetables, fruit and water) and following a sensible exercise program will never sell a book though.
    I find counting calories pretty restrictive.
  • dixiewhiskey

Agreed

It's all in your outlook.. counting calories can be a very informative process, not indicative of restriction unless you make it that way. Counting calories also doesn't have to sell anything on its own, compared to South Beach Diet.

There is a user on here by the name of sara2uk or something like that.. she has a thread called 1 year of Ice Cream and Barbells, you should check it out.
  • honeylissabee
    honeylissabee Posts: 217 Member
    My best friend and I tried South Beach a few years ago. We were only like 16 at the time, so going into Phase 1 was probably not the wisest decision. We were SO weak and tired after only a day. I remember on that first day, we decided to go out and get something to eat. Since neither of us could drive, we went somewhere local: McDonalds. I ordered a grilled chicken salad and picked shredded carrots out of the salad because carrots aren't "phase 1 friendly." THAT was depressing.

Needless to say, we both gave in by day two, but I've considered giving it another go on occasion. One of my personal problems is that they only allow sugar-free sweets. I can't eat "sugar-free." I also have not quite adjusted to the taste of plain Greek yogurt. I LOVE Chobani, but even if I get plain I have to add a teaspoon or two of honey- berries just don't sweeten it QUITE enough for me. I generally go for the flavored ones- including the tubes and new "Bites". Honestly, that would probably be one of the hardest things for me to give up. One of my standard breakfasts is 6 oz of Chobani with berries, old fashioned oats, and chia seeds.

I still consider it on occasion, but the fact that I can't enjoy my favorite yogurt until I get to phase 3 (in about 45 pounds) is a little depressing.
  • Sabine_Stroehm

Agreed

It's all in your outlook.. counting calories can be a very informative process, not indicative of restriction unless you make it that way. Counting calories also doesn't have to sell anything on its own, compared to South Beach Diet.

There is a user on here by the name of sara2uk or something like that.. she has a thread called 1 year of Ice Cream and Barbells, you should check it out.
    Learning about foods, about carbs, about blood sugar is informative as well. A question, though, does South Beach require you to buy something, other than maybe book, or a web subscription.

I've read her thread, she's impressive. I don't want to eat that way,however.

btw, if you've read my posts, you'll see that I've not DONE south beach. Just read up on it.
  • MarieG2023
    MarieG2023 Posts: 61 Member
    For me, I believe South Beach is safe. It's based on the glycemic index of foods. I've lost a total of 25 pounds since the first of the year (this was aided by regular exercise too). I was also diagnosed as pre diabetic this week, and my physician whole heartedly supports my decision to follow the South Beach plan.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Learning about foods, about carbs, about blood sugar is informative as well. A question, though, does South Beach require you to buy something, other than maybe book, or a web subscription.
    I couldn't agree more. The only SB products I buy are the protein bars and I only eat them when playing golf or when I miss lunch, and it's certainly not required. I don't find eating this way at all restrictive.
    For anyone interested I have a bunch of SB friendly recipes on my Pinterest page: www.pinterest.com/issypal
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    I couldn't agree more. The only SB products I buy are the protein bars and I only eat them when playing golf or when I miss lunch, and it's certainly not required. I don't find eating this way at all restrictive.
    For anyone interested I have a bunch of SB friendly recipes on my Pinterest page: www.pinterest.com/issypal
    imho, buying the south beach bars isn't much different than the various shakes etc that folks buy.
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    "Everyone I've known that has tried it couldn't sustain it. Several of them lost significant amounts of weight. Everyone of them gained it back plus some.

I've never done it. I don't like diets that tell you to eat certain things or don't allow you to eat certain things. I'm more of the mindset all things in moderation while making healthier choices.

Edit: for someone with a lot to lose 14lbs in the first 2 weeks is common when they enter any type of restrictive calorie change. Whether or not they keep it off depends on what they are doing and if they keep doing it.

See above....worked for me several years ago, lost 50#....then gained it all back plus. Might not have been the diet though.