WEIGHTS vs CARDIO

Options
2»

Replies

• alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    They are both worthwhile, neither should be the primary focus in fat loss.

Weight loss shouldn't happen quickly, it should happen pernanently.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I read on another forum that women take longer work outs to burn sufficient calories to lose weight. The trainer said that women do not start to burn stored calories until after 20 minutes of activity. So if your work out is 30 minutes, the first 20 is basically a warm up. So even though my circuit training is 30 minutes, I try to keep active after i finish it by doing house keeping or something like that.

Also, something else that I read, was that strength is important because weight training reshapes your body by improving muscle tone. Cardio helps burning the fat that is over the muscles to help them show through.

I don't know if either of those things help you or answer your questions, but they are things that stick in my mind.

You are thinking of burning glycogen stores, NOT calories.

Anyway.... Here's the difference.

Cardio is GREAT for the following- overall health and heart health, creating a caloric deficit

Assuming you are already in a caloric deficit the second becomes null and void.

Strength traing is GREAT for the following- PRESERVING MUSCLE MASS (which means you have a higher BMR or metabolic rate), CONTINUING TO BURN CALORIES when you are done with the exercise (You continue to burn calories for up to 14 hours, so even though you may burn more INITIALLY in your cardio session, you stop when you stop that exercise), and lastly FEELING STRONG.

I personally do a mixture of both, but i focus on strength training. I actually hate cardio..... alot. I ONLY do it for the heart benifits.
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 264 Member
    Options
  • gennafer731
    gennafer731 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you are doing workout videos a lot as your cardio you might just need to do them with dumbells. A lot of those exercises rely on you using body weight, when you get smaller obviously the body weight is not as challenging as it would be if you were 60 lbs overweight, so the closer you get to your ideal weight and the more fit you get the harder you need to make your workouts in order to get a decent burn from it. 3-5lbs dumbells, hand or ankle weights might help when you are doing cardio (videos or cardio machines)

Also check your body fat%, 10 lbs is not so much that I would worry unless your body fat is high. If your body fat % is low then you just need to build up the muscles that are in your body and being flabby, it's not the same thing as having 10 lbs of fat.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Quote :

The 20 pounds of muscle I’ve gained through years of hard work equate to an added 120 calories to my RMR. Not insignificant, but substantially less than 1,000. However, I also engaged in a lot of aerobic activity and dietary restriction to lose 50 pounds of fat, which means I also lost 100 calories per day of RMR. So, post-physical transformation, my net caloric burn is only 20 calories higher per day, earning me one-third of an Oreo cookie. Bummer.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-many-calories-does-muscle-really-burn-and-why-its-not-about-calories-anyway/#ixzz2KkxCJa66
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Do both. I do.

Nothing stopping you from doing cardio & weights. I do mine all in one session as well. Even my PT at the gym says it's goo what I do.

I do ALL my cardio with some kind of weight. Zumba with hand & ankle weights, I even dance around the house with hand & ankle weights.
  • curvykilla
    Options
    In order to lose weight and keep it off....you need both weights and cardio. Every body is different though so what might be a good combination of weight training and cardio for me could be totally different for you.

Do not be too terrified of increasing the caloric intake if you are on a weight and cardio regime.........if the doctor is telling you to increase, there must be a reason. Try it for a few weeks and see what happens.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I read on another forum that women take longer work outs to burn sufficient calories to lose weight. The trainer said that women do not start to burn stored calories until after 20 minutes of activity. So if your work out is 30 minutes, the first 20 is basically a warm up. So even though my circuit training is 30 minutes, I try to keep active after i finish it by doing house keeping or something like that.

Also, something else that I read, was that strength is important because weight training reshapes your body by improving muscle tone. Cardio helps burning the fat that is over the muscles to help them show through.

I don't know if either of those things help you or answer your questions, but they are things that stick in my mind.

You are thinking of burning glycogen stores, NOT calories.

Anyway.... Here's the difference.

Cardio is GREAT for the following- overall health and heart health, creating a caloric deficit

Assuming you are already in a caloric deficit the second becomes null and void.

Strength traing is GREAT for the following- PRESERVING MUSCLE MASS (which means you have a higher BMR or metabolic rate), CONTINUING TO BURN CALORIES when you are done with the exercise (You continue to burn calories for up to 14 hours, so even though you may burn more INITIALLY in your cardio session, you stop when you stop that exercise), and lastly FEELING STRONG.

I personally do a mixture of both, but i focus on strength training. I actually hate cardio..... alot. I ONLY do it for the heart benifits.

Ahhh... Thank you for clarifying that. I always appreciate finding new information.