Replies

• rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I only count water.
  • DanceFittDiva
    DanceFittDiva Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I asked my Dr about this and she said... only water can be counted as water. But I know that there's a lot of debate on this topic. I don't count anything as water, but water when I'm tracking.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    medically speaking the drink 8-8oz glasses a day has no science behind it. It is one of those things that if we say it enough it becomes fact. I teach my patients that it is fluids in general that your cells need. We tell them that anything with caffeine does not count as fluid consumption because caffeine is more dehydrating. While water may be the best even fruit juice has water as main ingredient. I also don't like to count sweetened drinks such as soda and sweet tea.

I agree. Although I've found that I feel better, in general, and have less issues with chapped lips, when I drink about 8 cups of water a day. But the body has a certain amount it needs and the rest basically passes right through. Drinking more water won't "wash away the fat" or anything like that.

I think the tracker is there because proper hydration is part of a healthy lifestyle, and because often thirst disguises itself as a sweet-tooth (at least for me), so when we aim for 8 glasses a day, we're probably going to be doing better than if we don't. But there is nothing at all that says it has to be plain, unflavored, water.

And, there's no prize for hitting your 8 glasses, so it's not like you're "cheating" by logging Crystal Light, Mio, herb tea, or even (gasp!!) Diet Coke. And you're not necessarily cheating yourself either, because again, 8 glasses is ARBITRARY - it doesn't take weight, height, or activity level into account. Go by how your body feels. Floating away? drink less. Chapped lips or dry skin, or feeling thirsty or lethargic? You might need a bit more...

Agree!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goal is. If your goal is "to drink 8 glasses of water" then only water would count. If your goal is to stay hydrated then anything that hydrates you would count toward that goal. There are many other ways to set a goal, which is probably why there are so many views on how to achieve it.

The "water only" mentality is IMO much like people whose goal is only to change a number on a scale even if it means temporarily losing water weight by reducing sodium intake or taking off your clothes to weigh in. As opposed to "getting healthier by shedding excess body fat." I think it's a result of having lost sight of the real goal.
  • amyrun77
    Options
    I only count water as water. I measure it by each 8oz I drink. I have a 32oz bottle so every bottle is 4 cups.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I count my unsweetened coffee as water. I know I'm very well hydrated and I hate leaving that stupid cup counter at zero, so I just put 12 or so glasses in every morning because I know perfectly well I'll get that much by the end of the day.