Anyone Doing Low-Carb High-Fat?

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    What are the benefits of adding it? Avoiding constipation?
    coconut oil is composed of 65% medium chain triglycerides. Unlike long chain triglycerides, which make up the majority of the fat in common cooking oils, MCT's can be easily processed by the body for nutrition. Lots of evidence out there that coconut oil is good for you as a source of energy and good, healthy fats for your diet. I have a cup of coffee with butter and coconut oil every morning as my breakfast, as odd as that sounds.

Um--coffee with butter? Why not have coffee with cream? My husband is allergic to dairy and has full-fat coconut milk in his coffee every morning (he has lost 10 pounds without even trying since he started the coconut milk).
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    The only prob with this diet is that Im constipated a lot.

More veggies will solve the problem. Veggies are naturally low in carbs. :smile:

I am currently dealing with this problem. I have not had a problem with constipation until about a month ago. I've done a lot of reading regarding low carb, keto, paleo diets and constipation. Fiber is not the answer. Based on what I've read supplementing with more fiber can actually make it worse. The issue is the lack of sugars is starving out the good flora in the tummy. The answer is probiotics. I just ordered some. If you eat dairy, add yogurt or kefir into your diet. If you don't eat dairy, raw sauerkraut adds good bacteria into your stomach.

I take a tsp of coconut oil in my coffee every day. I don't usually have a problem if I do this.

On the rare occasion, I'll drink Smooth Move tea (avail in health food stores).
    I consume a lot of coconut oil and other fats daily. I also consume a lot of fiber. I drink tons of water and other fluids. I take magnesium every day. I have resorted to taking stool softeners regularly. It's still a problem. Every indication is that it is due to a lack of flora in my tummy.

Are you sure it is that and not a slower metabolism? I used to have terrible problems that way until they discovered that I was hypothyroid. Sugar actually kills the "good bacteria" in the gut and feeds nasty things like candida albicans (a fungus). That is why it is a bad idea to eat flavored, sugar-sweetened yogurt (after it sits for a couple of weeks dosed in sugar, most of the beneficial organisms have died). Much better to eat plain yogurt (the full-fat variety tastes pretty much like sour cream). The lack of sugar could be causing some of the intestinal flora to die off, that is true, but overall, it should be helping the lactobacillus (the good bacteria) to proliferate. I'd get my thyroid levels checked if you haven't already.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I am on a low carb (20g net carbs) and high fat diet. Its working for me as well, but I am trying to make it good fats though - so no more eating the skin on the chicken or buying fatty biltong.

Actually, there is nothing wrong with eating the skin of the chicken (if you like it). There are several immune-boosting factors that are stored in chicken skin (so it really is true that chicken soup will cure "anything"). :wink: I would just make sure that the chicken is, at least, "naturally raised" (but organic is even better) to avoid getting nasty hormones and antibiotics.
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Is it important to keep track of my net carbs or just carbs as a whole when doing LCHF?
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Is it important to keep track of my net carbs or just carbs as a whole when doing LCHF?
    Fiber doesn't impact insulin response or affect ketosis, thus you only want to pay attention to the carbs minus fiber to understand if you are achieving low carb and how it is impacting your glucose, insulin response and ketosis.
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Late to the discussion here and ran into this thread looking for suggestions on my issue: I am 5 pounds from reaching my target weight but really want to see a flatter belly. My belly is not budging much.

My question for the LCHF group is this: if you are working out on a daily basis, can you still do LCHF successfully. More specifically, if you are lifting weights to add muscle, carbs seem to help a lot with that. I dont know if fat can help me be as efficient at the gym. So Im thinking this LCHF is for people who are ONLY using diet to reach goals, and not adding exercise to the program.

Thoughts?
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Late to the discussion here and ran into this thread looking for suggestions on my issue: I am 5 pounds from reaching my target weight but really want to see a flatter belly. My belly is not budging much.

My question for the LCHF group is this: if you are working out on a daily basis, can you still do LCHF successfully. More specifically, if you are lifting weights to add muscle, carbs seem to help a lot with that. I dont know if fat can help me be as efficient at the gym. So Im thinking this LCHF is for people who are ONLY using diet to reach goals, and not adding exercise to the program.

Thoughts?
    If your goal is purely weight loss, then LCHF and no exercise is the best bet. If your goal is primal fitness, then LCHF and exercise is what you want. Seriously, cavemen were seriously fit dudes to be able to hunt and kill a wooly mammoth in an ice age. And they weren't exactly munching on a bunch of pasta and bread.

Your carbs probably should go up from the 20g of net carbs that really hardcore LCHF types are doing, but 50g of carbs a day can easily be done WITHOUT eating whole grains, pasta, bread, potatoes, rice, etc. That's probably more daily carbs than the typical paleolithic wooly mammoth hunter got. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to go toe to toe with him.
  • NormInv
    Options

Thoughts?
    If your goal is purely weight loss, then LCHF and no exercise is the best bet. If your goal is primal fitness, then LCHF and exercise is what you want. Seriously, cavemen were seriously fit dudes to be able to hunt and kill a wooly mammoth in an ice age. And they weren't exactly munching on a bunch of pasta and bread.

Your carbs probably should go up from the 20g of net carbs that really hardcore LCHF types are doing, but 50g of carbs a day can easily be done WITHOUT eating whole grains, pasta, bread, potatoes, rice, etc. That's probably more daily carbs than the typical paleolithic wooly mammoth hunter got. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to go toe to toe with him.

Have you seen the Flintstones? Fred Flintstone is not exactly in prime condition.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Yeah, but Wilma is pretty hot!
  • NormInv
    Options
    I personally for me prefer Lois Griffin.
  • sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

Yes, you can do LCHF if you work out regularly. I do boot camp m/w/f and spin t/th and yoga whenever I can fit it in. This is not just a diet for me, it's my response to a shift in my understanding of eating for performance. A great book is The Art and Science of Low-Carb performance by Volek and Phinney.

It instructs you on how to permanently change the way your body burns energy - converting it to a reliance on burning fat stores in your fat cells rather than quick carbs. Do this, and the authors argue, you will be a BETTER athlete.

If you want to see how a triathlete does it, google Dr. Peter Attia's blog eating academy. He's a doc that as a triathlete was working out 4 hours a day and yet could not lose belly fat, until he read Volek and Phinney.
  • NormInv
    Options

Thoughts?

Yes, you can do LCHF if you work out regularly. I do boot camp m/w/f and spin t/th and yoga whenever I can fit it in. This is not just a diet for me, it's my response to a shift in my understanding of eating for performance. A great book is The Art and Science of Low-Carb performance by Volek and Phinney.

It instructs you on how to permanently change the way your body burns energy - converting it to a reliance on burning fat stores in your fat cells rather than quick carbs. Do this, and the authors argue, you will be a BETTER athlete.

If you want to see how a triathlete does it, google Dr. Peter Attia's blog eating academy. He's a doc that as a triathlete was working out 4 hours a day and yet could not lose belly fat, until he read Volek and Phinney.

Will certainly check out your references.

I was leading a low carb/slow carb, high protein life until recently, but would have bad cravings for junk food especially chips and beer. When I joined this site, I also started adding carbs to my diet. I added a baked potato and a slice of wheat bread in my daily diet. Voila, I have no cravings for chips and beer. I feel like I was depriving myself so long and it would result in insane weekend or late night binges. Now I got that under control. And have lost 5 pounds thus far. Nevertheless, I will do more due diligence.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

lol, 300g of cho is a little bit more than 50g...
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    20% Carbs 30% Protein 50% fat @1,600 calories for me ^_^
  • wswing
    wswing Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was exercising 5 days a week and watching my diet religously and could not drop a pound as I don't have much to lose. In fact I seemed to be gaining. After switching to a low carb high fat diet 2 weeks ago I have lost 3 pounds and my cravings are completely gone! I'm not constantly thinking about food anymore and I feel fantastic.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I eat a good amount of fat but not as a "diet" and not following any plan. I'm just addicted to coconut milk and all natural PB lol
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Balance...35% protein, 35% carbs, 30% fat and in the best shape of my life and never hungry!
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I started out doing Atkins, but after stumbling on the work of Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt and his LCHF diet, I am switching over.

I was a bit wary adding so much fat that it would stall me, but I stepped on the scale this morning, and I'm down another .6.

The biggest benefit is I'm not hungry/no cravings.

Is anyone else eating MORE fat to lose weight? It seems so contradictory, but I can't deny it's working.

Not familiar with Eenfeldt, but now will look her up. Also, on the more populist front Kat James began touting the benefits of good fats several years ago. Her empirical observations were interesting, so I did some more research on my own and permanently gave up fat restriction. I had switched to de-emphasize grain carbs about 10y ago, in favor vegetables & legumes.
    /I have set my nutritional ratios on MPF as follows: 95-115g carbs (35%) //60-75g protein (25%) //50-70g fat/ (40%) //25g fiber //20-30g sugar (a carb, but it helps me to keep my fruits in proportion).

I continue to research and improve my diet. What is new for me since joining MPF in January 2013 is filtering my drinking water and taking digestive enzymes. What I am finding is that I now can lose weight at a more less predicatible tractory and RA episodes are no longer being triggered.

I do not think any one piece is a magic pill. What I think is that I finally have found what is balanced nutrition for me. A clean diet and exercise was not enough.
  • NormInv
    Options
    Something else occurred to me: perhaps the body loses weight when confused. For one poster above, the weight loss happened when they stopped eating carbs. For me , it happened when I started eating carbs. So switch it up now and then eh.