Can't seem to consume enough to meet 1200 calories... Help!

Options

Replies

• Caligrl4052
    Caligrl4052 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Quick question that I don't seem to be getting - Is it a MUST to make it to 1200 calories everyday? I thought the goal was the less calories the better?
  • welshgirl53
    welshgirl53 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I must be odd in that I find 100 calories for a main meal portion of chicken ridiculously low - the chicken breasts I use are usually about 150 - 170 g. Any less doesn't fill me up.

I also eat salmon fillets - more calories but good for you.

Can't get over how peanut butter is recommended so much on this site - I find it gross, but then I'm from the UK.

I think the OP has loads of good and bad advice, she just need to learn and relax and eat more.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Quick question that I don't seem to be getting - Is it a MUST to make it to 1200 calories everyday? I thought the goal was the less calories the better?

Short answer: YES.

Longer answer: If "the less calories the better" were true, we'd all simply stop eating entirely until we reached our goal weight. :wink: But we still need nutrition, and 1200 is generally accepted as the minimum anyone should eat to get proper nutrition unless under medical supervision.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Ugh...not the coconut oil thing again.

Nuts are a good source of calories, fiber and healthy fat...add some walnuts or slivered almonds to your salads.

Fruit-banana was a good choice-small amounts pack a punch. Apples, grapes, dried fruits like apricots and craisins...all good choices for salads too.

Some bread is not a bad idea. Whole grain (The heavier/denser, the better. Stuff with seeds and nuts and high fiber content. Keep you full-healthy carbs)

Peanut butter? LoL it's my go-to high calorie food and it tastes good.
  • rivphoenix
    Options
    I do not understand how adding high fat foods works...I am reaching the fat% too easily..but have actually stopped eating all the nuts and nut butters...stop using coconut oil...how can one incorporate so much fat and still not go over the fat limit? I am missing the protein %...but other than eating chicken, meats, eggs and protein drinks, I can not figure out what foods are high in protein but not fat. I can not eat 3 egg whites and 1 yolk. The only way I will get that egg down is with the yolk. Which brings on the fat again! See the cycle here?
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Really? Sheesh. Wish this was my problem.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Elrond-Facepalm.jpg

As for the OP, snack more. You'll get there.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I'm finding it very difficult to reach 1200 calories a day (and I feel like I'm eating a lot!) Any suggestions?

Today I had:
    Breakfast:
    2 hard boiled eggs (130 calories)

Lunch:
    1 slice of Domino's Hawaiian pizza (280 calories)
    2 cups romaine lettuce (15 calories)
    1 tbsp Caesar dressing (40 calories)
    Parmesan cheese 1 tsp (20 calories)

Dinner:
    2 cups romaine lettuce (15 calories)
    1 tbsp Caesar dressing (40 calories)
    Parmesan cheese 1 tsp (20 calories)
    Diced grilled chicken breast (100 calories)
    Diet Pepsi (0 calories)

Snack:
    1 medium banana (84 calories)

Other:
    10 calories from crystal light
    8 cups of water

The dinner salad was to help consume more calories but I wasn't hungry. I have 463 calories remaining. Help?! As it stands currently, I feel like I am having to force myself to eat more often... and that's rare for me. My diet had been piss-poor, I won't lie, and my calorie intake was probably massive. I would eat once a day and maybe munch on a few things here and there. Perhaps my body is just trying to adjust to 3 meals+ a snack?

Any food recommendations would be fantastic. It isn't healthy to eat less than 1200, and it shouldn't be a struggle to hit that! I am just over paranoid and want to make healthy decisions. I obviously want to lose weight, but I want to do it in such a way that it's 1) healthy, 2) safe, and 3) something I can sustain long-term. There's no need to drop a ton of weight without being able to maintain it once it's gone!

umm, diet coke is 0 calories? Since when? That stuff is poison anyway, should't have it at all!

and are you sure about the serving size of chicken? remember, measurements are important!

Maybe try snacking on some nuts, they have many good things in there for your body and the fats are GOOD fats so don't get scared! Or some more fruit, as long as you don't get toooo much sugar from it. .And I don't agree with others that you should add bread/pasta. Gluten just 'aint that good either so if you don't feel you have to have it, please just don't. Nothing wrong with that :)

But you need to watch your protein intake, looks like it would probably be quite low which can be a concern :S

Good luck :)

Diet coke and diet pepsi are both 0 calories. Always has been.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I see lots of people on here have really good suggestions. My suggestion is to check out Pinterest and food blogs for ideas. It might help to actually see how to put different foods together and it'll give you lots of ideas so you don't get bored with what you're eating.
  • corchy23
    corchy23 Posts: 41
    Options
    I'm having the same problem, so I'm loving all of the tips in this thread! I'm going to bookmark it.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Ugh...not the coconut oil thing again.

I hate to derail the topic, and I'm almost afraid to ask... but what's wrong with coconut oil? :huh:
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I do not understand how adding high fat foods works...I am reaching the fat% too easily..but have actually stopped eating all the nuts and nut butters...stop using coconut oil...how can one incorporate so much fat and still not go over the fat limit? I am missing the protein %...but other than eating chicken, meats, eggs and protein drinks, I can not figure out what foods are high in protein but not fat. I can not eat 3 egg whites and 1 yolk. The only way I will get that egg down is with the yolk. Which brings on the fat again! See the cycle here?

Your body needs fat. It provides the essential fatty acids that your body cannot produce itself, which are used to control inflammation, blood clotting, and promote brain development. It also helps lubricates your joints and increases the amount of absorption of fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K. Plus if you need to hit a calorie goal, it provides double the amount of calories per gram than carbs or protein
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have found that a small handful of mixed nuts helps when I can't get to my required calories, and it is a good source of protein!
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through all of these so I don't know if this suggestion was made, but try to have protein at every meal. Maybe 6 ounces of chicken instead of 3. Also, choose full-fat options instead of low-fat. Use butter, full fat salad dressings, peanut butter. You could have an apple and 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and there's 250 calories.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options

Your body needs fat. It provides the essential fatty acids that your body cannot produce itself, which are used to control inflammation, blood clotting, and promote brain development. It also helps lubricates your joints and increases the amount of absorption of fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K. Plus if you need to hit a calorie goal, it provides double the amount of calories per gram than carbs or protein

You probably need to readjust your macro settings. They are pre-set from MFP and they have the carb setting WAYYYYYY up. If you balance out fats and carbs and have your protein higher than either of these, then you shouldn't hit fat so easily. In my opinion, I would rather go over in fat than in carbs.
  • manique45
    manique45 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    add nuts to your diet they are a small snack and high in calories. Are you measuring your protein? 4 oz is 120 cal. so maybe eat 6 oz serving. I am wheat and glueten free eater and I can eat 1200 cals so I wouldn't advise to add bread. It will cause your sugar to rise and that creates cravings... Any ways yeah snack more, add pnut butter, the good fats, and avacado to your salad or snack on hummus and peppers! Make sure you are weighing everything because you may be not calculating the correct amount.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

You probably need to readjust your macro settings. They are pre-set from MFP and they have the carb setting WAYYYYYY up. If you balance out fats and carbs and have your protein higher than either of these, then you shouldn't hit fat so easily. In my opinion, I would rather go over in fat than in carbs.
    [/quote]

/truth
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    almonds
    beans
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to read all 8 pages to see if this has been said before, but here's my 2 cents:

Add more healthy fat. Avocado, coconut oil, butter, olive oil.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I really don't get the whole "there's no way I could possibly eat 1200 calories" crowd. Is this like an MFP thing?? I know I am a guy, but I could eat 1200 calories in about 5 minutes without even thinking about it.

How about a PP&J:

2 Slices of whole wheat bread: 200 cals
    2 Tbsp peanut butter: 200 cals
    2 Tbsp jelly: 100 cals

That's 500 cals right there and I could eat 2 with a glass of milk. There's your 1200 cals.

This 20 somthing girl I work with is about 5' nothing 100 and nothing and eats at least 1200 cals for lunch every day.

You don't have to only eat salad to lose weight.