Can't seem to consume enough to meet 1200 calories... Help!

Options

Replies

• HF35420
    HF35420 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love my carbs, hence my size :smile: the daily food you posted showed little in the way of fiber or calcium (being female you need calcium) try adding something that will give you these pulses ie lentils or beans are great for fiber and act as a healthy choice as they are usually secondary protiens as well. Also there are nuts/seeds that will give you calcium and whats more it doesn't take masses of them to boost your calorie intake, though if you choose wisely they give masses back health wise. Check on the internet as some are better than others.
  • doasyouwill
    Options
    peanut butter
  • Suezii_Q
    Suezii_Q Posts: 6
    Options
    I would add some dairy or some protein.

Skim milk, greek yogurt, chicken or turkey breast, tuna...If you're working out you need the protein to help your muscles repair. These all have protein and will help boost your calories for the day.

The dairy also helps you keep your bone mass so you don't end up with osteoporosis later in life.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    maybe add some carbs?
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Add more things to your salad.

Nuts, cottage cheese, meats, eggs, fruit...all good with salads.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    peanut butter

THERE IS ALWAYS ROOM FOR PEANUT BUTTER!
  • aedan77
    aedan77 Posts: 11
    Options
    definitely add some low sodium nuts to your diet, nuts are high in calories (eat only the serving size on the package) BUT they are an excellent source of protein and healthy fats
  • aedan77
    aedan77 Posts: 11
    Options
    peanut butter makes the world go round
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I never understand these "I can't eat enough threads." You're here to lose weight right? So you've at some point gained weight. which means at some point you had no trouble eating MORE than enough calories. Do some of whatever you did before just not to the point where you go over your needs. Heck, have a chocolate milk. I had 12 ozs tonight and that was 340 calories.
  • heyshaker
    heyshaker Posts: 13
    Options
    Nuts, peanut butter, full fat dairy, oils, avocado, eggs, cheese, food in general. Losing weight doesn't have to be all lettuce and chicken breasts.

This...
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    My calories have never been set to 1200 since I started - I do understand your dilemma though. It's like, when I first started out with all this newfound willpower, even though I had no intention of trying to eliminate all junk food, I was afraid if I got started on the junk food, I'd binge or something. So even though my calories are higher than yours OP, I was under quite a bit in the first month or so. That made working out progressively harder because I began feeling tired and run down.

Now, if I have calories left to eat at the end of the day, I will eat something just because I like it :wink: That's how I get my ice cream, chocolate, whatever in my diet.

If the willpower thing is what has you concerned, I will tell you that I decided to keep certain things I like in the house if I know I won't binge on them. I have amazing self-control over ice cream - I really can eat just 1/4 cup and be happy. It's certain salty greasy snacks that get me, so I usually don't keep them around.

For day to day - you've already had tons of advice there of foods to add. And you can always make your salads bigger, more veggies, add more dressing, croutons, cheese, etc.
  • hamer007
    hamer007 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Drink a coffee with cream and sugar, lots of calories there lol
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Add a protein shake. You probably could use some more protein. Syntha-6 is really good.
  • Chariautumn
    Chariautumn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well people tend to drink the majority of their calories with sodas, if you're struggling to eat because you're full, how about you take that idea in a healthy way by drinking juice with your meals? If you stick with juices that are %100 juice and don't have extra sugar, you can meet a healthy calorie goal. Orange juice especially; it's high in potassium which helps if you have a high sodium intake, so you'll reduce bloating too!
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil, olive oil, peanut butter, almonds... Eat some healthy fats!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Have some nuts. They help you live longer, and they're high in calories. Or have dessert if you want something not so healthy.

I normally never have a problem eating at least 1200 calories a day.
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I swear this site gives me the warm fuzzies. My best friend thinks I'm disgusting for my love of all things peanut butter. It's like... the best thing that ever happened to food.

Then to see so many on here who love it as much as I do. I've found my community.

But everyone has already said what I would suggest. Peanut butter, avocados. Full fat everything, including ice cream. I don't go a day without eating ice cream in some form and I have no trouble hitting my 1900.

But mostly peanut butter.
  • walkinon_sunshine
    Options
    First thing: Kick the diet soda. If you need more cals and your gonna drink soda anyways, drink the real thing. Sugar is better for you than aspartame. >.< (In my unprofessional opinion.)
    Second thing: Get some super-dark chocolate. The darker the better, dark chocolate has its health benefits and it is high in cals. (Plus super delicious, so easy to eat.)
    Last thing: It is not likely that nuts are making your skin breakout unless you are allergic. (which would be rashes anyways) It could have to do with the oils that some nuts are coated with to make the salt/other flavours stick. Try some plain nuts.
  • KaePhoebe
    KaePhoebe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem but find it much easier to get closer to the 1200 calories, if you concentrate more on getting 3 vegetables per day (make sure to shake it up). Try something new everyday brussel sprouts, asparagus with parmessian cheese, baked yams, broccoli, green beans, avocados (best if the veggies are fresh). At least 2 fruits per day (again try something new-mango, kiwi, strawberries. Limit your meat to 6 oz per day. However, fill in with cottage cheese and yogurt. The other thing I have found is to find a cook book (Taste of Home special editons -diabetes) has some really good ideas for main courses and sides. I'm not a big bread eater so I use pasta more then bread. There is some really good healthy pasta dishes out there.

I can relate to your favorite foods I have been there. However, I'm to the point now that I really enjoy the fruits and veggies and finding new creative ways to add them into everyday meals to make them healthier.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Man, when I make a salad it can be 400-500 calories easy. Load it up with beans, protein, veggies, avocado, and a few croutons. Pair it with a fruit smootie, maybe add some protein powder...BAM healthy 750 calorie lunch :)

Add that to the breakfast eggs along with my greek yogurt/granola workout snack and you're there before dinner!