Fasting

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP. It's not fair to characterize her as an anorexic as she would have to be underweight.

Actually, just generally and not in relation to the OP, you can be anorexic and not underweight - YET. Just because someone hasn't been anorexic long enough to be underweight doesn't make them not anorexic.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP. It's not fair to characterize her as an anorexic as she would have to be underweight.

Agreed and i have been seeing a lot this lately, Best not to mention super low cal diets at all because alot of people get upset by it.
  • tehbasketcasey
    Options
    AGAIN-

THIS IS ONLY FOR AROUND A WEEK TO JUMP START MY WEIGHT LOSS.

I am not going to continue eating this way for more than a week, so why don't you tell me how this will make me fat and sick???
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    And in relation to the OP, you came on asking how long you could keep this up and was it bad for you. Yet you have rejected every answer saying "yes, it is". So why bother asking, if you are going to reject the answer? I think you know it isn't good and came on to ask for some validation.

Further, you only edited a response to say this was only for a week 20 mins ago after asking how long you could keep it up in your original post. I think you're backpeddling.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Yeah, actually the definition of anorexia is loosing enough weight to be underweight ( which I am not) and REFUSING to maintain a normal body weight. So, no, I'm not in denial about my eating. It's not as if I only drink water, or juice, or tea during the day, and then only eat celery sticks at night. :/ Also I'm about 200 lbs, so obviously I LOVE to eat. Moreover, I really do like how I look right now, and if being overweight weren't hard on your body I'd probably stay right where I am, and go back to eating my delicious donuts, top ramen, hamburgers and all the other great things I usually indulge in. But SINCE IM FASTING DURING THE DAY, I can't have those foods. I am also training my body to crave food less than it does.
    I don't mind eating more calories in a week, and in the future. I'm really looking for info on a fast lasting a week to a week and a half.
    Also, considering that I am just starting this fast, and it will be going on about a week, and I don't plan on doing it forever, your comments are a little off base.... even if they are well meaning. I do appreciate your concern!!!

Ok, well you possibly should have stated that at the beginning. The way you said it implied that this is something you had been doing for a while and planned to continue long term, and the concern is coming from the severe caloric deficit. If you're really interested in fasting I would suggest intermittent fasting as has already been mentioned and is pretty much basically what you're doing now. There's 2 types floating around at the moment. Leangains which involves the window where you eat your calories. Most people tend to go for 16/8, some prefer 20/4. Google leangains.com and it'll give you info about that, the premise behind it and how it works. The other is 5:2. Basically for 2 days of the week you only eat 500 calories and the other 5 you eat normally. The calorie count balances out at the end of the week. There was a program on the BBC about it last year. If you use the search function in the forums and type intermittent fasting you'll find loads of threads and they'll have much more info. I will say it again though, I do suggest you eat more even if you are fasting as you call it. Even just up it to 1200 for now until you can work out the proper calorie needs for your body.

And no, sorry I don't have a link. I got the info off a friend of mine who is a Dr. because I was having a similar feeling of being high because I wasn't eating enough.
  • tehbasketcasey
    Options
    Obviously it isn't healthy for extended periods of time.

Which is not what I'm here to ask about... I'm wondering how long I can do my jump start fast without it doing much damage. My god people.
  • tehbasketcasey
    Options
    Also, way to try to start fights on a fitness forum with strangers. Classy.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Thanks, hun. :)

I do not have an eating disorder, and I really sympathize with people who do. Eating disorders breed a lot of shame, guilt, misery and fear- and I would never EVER suggest disordered eating to anyone.
    I am only interested in doing a fast with fewer calories for a week to a week and a half tops, then go back to my 1,200 calories a day. Fasting as a jump start to weight loss does NOT equate to an eating disorder. People are very quick to judge, without understanding the extent of a situation, and suggesting diagnoses without information not only is unfair to me, but it is unfair to those who actually suffer from eating disorders. Sadly, anorexia is one of the worst mental disorders, with the highest mortality rate seen in mental illness. People with anorexia are obsessed with their food, to the point where it dominates their entire life.
    Luckily for me, this is not the case. I have just noticed that when I fast during the day I feel slightly high, which is weird. By stating that I was in no way suggesting that I wanted to be "high" all the time, or that I was "starving" myself to achieve this feeling. It was just an observation, and I was wondering if anyone else who had fasted knew what I meant.

So, if anyone would like to give me suggestions, tips etc, without telling me I'm anorexic, or that I am choosing good looks over health, etc, I am open. Otherwise, please just move on.

"How long can I keep up my meal a day diet and is it worse for me than I think it is?" that was your question. Yes, it is worse for you than you think it it. And keeping it up will effect your health so there is some advice. A tip would be, eat more. And FYI, in case you are in denial. You do NOT have to be underweight to be considered anorexic. That is ridiculous that that person suggested that. The definition of anorexia is: Anorexia nervosa is a psychiatric disorder characterized by an unrealistic fear of weight gain, self-starvation, and conspicuous distortion of body image. The individual is obsessed with becoming increasingly thinner and limits food intake to the point where health is compromised. The disorder may be fatal. The name comes from two Latin words that mean nervous inability to eat.

Notice where it says, limits food intake to the point where health is compromised?

I'm not trying to be rude. I'm not even saying you are anorexic but your eating pattern is certainly border line if not already anorexic behavior. Like I said, if you were unaware that it was and dont want to hurt yourself than it shouldnt be an issue to up your calorie intake and avoid health repercussions from limiting your calories so severely.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

Actually, just generally and not in relation to the OP, you can be anorexic and not underweight - YET. Just because someone hasn't been anorexic long enough to be underweight doesn't make them not anorexic.

According to webMD, a doctor will diagnosis you with anorexia by determining if you are underweight.
  • tehbasketcasey
    Options
    So I'm anorexic because I want to do a fast for a week? And I'm wondering how long I can keep it up?
    Now, if you had said I could only do a few days without damage, that would be useful information.
  • Alatariel75
    Options

According to webMD, a doctor will diagnosis you with anorexia by determining if you are underweight.

Starting a sentence with "According to WebMD..." is like starting a sentence with "According to Wikipdia/Dr Oz/That infomercial I saw last night..."
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I would just much rather eat 1800 calories a day and lose weight easily. Much healthier and yummier!
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

Starting a sentence with "According to WebMD..." is like starting a sentence with "According to Wikipdia/Dr Oz/That infomercial I saw last night..."

Don't me mad because I busted your ego. Links below to both webMD and the mayoclinc. If you are overweight, it's called Obesity, not Aneroxia. Hopefully something clicked for ya.

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/anorexia-nervosa/anorexia-nervosa-topic-overview?page=2
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/anorexia/DS00606/DSECTION=tests-and-diagnosis

• Alatariel75
    Options

Don't me mad because I busted your ego. Links below to both webMD and the mayoclinc. If you are overweight, it's called Obesity, not Aneroxia. Hopefully something clicked for ya.

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/anorexia-nervosa/anorexia-nervosa-topic-overview?page=2

you're right, I'm so mad I'm beside myself. Scuse me while I cuddle my ego.

Anorexia is a mental illness. Being underweight is a symptom. You don't get underweight until you have been anorexic for a period of time. People don't just get underweight and THEN start displaying symptoms of anorexia, they display the symptoms, which lead to being underweight, because they HAVE anorexia.

May I just say they you have no idea of my professional or personal background and while I feel no need to enlighten you, I don't need to resort to Google for my sources.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about bone density, honestly, because I have the strongest bones you could imagine....

I'm just curious and following this thread. How do you know this? Have you had a bone density scan?
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    So I'm anorexic because I want to do a fast for a week? And I'm wondering how long I can keep it up?
    Now, if you had said I could only do a few days without damage, that would be useful information.

The thing is, around here if you talk about doing a fast people think it means you're not going to eat which is unhealthy but you know that. You say that people shouldn't assume things about a person's history but if you ask a question then we can only go off the information you give us, which was insufficient to answer your actual question. I've given you info on intermittent fasting which if you're trying to teach your body not to crave foods is an excellent tool. But dropping your calories to 800 for a week will have no health benefits whatsoever. By all means fast through the day if that works for you, but you also said that you feel high sometimes during the day and asked if it was normal and had anyone experienced it. Yes. I have experienced it and when I started eating more, it went away. If you love food so much then check out the eat more to weigh less group. There's a lot of people who can explain how it works a lot better than me and also a lot of people who've had massive success. Check it out. That, in combination with intermittent fasting should help you to lose those 20lbs.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

Anorexia is a mental illness. Being underweight is a symptom. You don't get underweight until you have been anorexic for a period of time. People don't just get underweight and THEN start displaying symptoms of anorexia, they display the symptoms, which lead to being underweight, because they HAVE anorexia.

May I just say they you have no idea of my professional or personal background and while I feel no need to enlighten you, I don't need to resort to Google for my sources.

So you are saying that someone with obesity can be anorexic at the same time? Is this the new medical disease Fatorexia I've been hearing about? Created by doctor Alatariel?
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options

So you are saying that someone with obesity can be anorexic at the same time? Is this the new medical disease Fatorexia I've been hearing about? Created by doctor Alatariel?

Oh my holy...some one who is obese can become anorexic. While obese.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

Oh my holy...some one who is obese can become anorexic. While obese.

I'll have to disagree with you and agree with the medical websites that I've been posting. Here's one from Medicinenet that lays out the guidelines on how someone would be diagnosis with the mental illness.

http://www.medicinenet.com/anorexia_nervosa/page4.htm
    There are four basic criteria for the diagnosis of anorexia nervosa that are characteristic:

1.The refusal to maintain body weight at or above a minimally normal weight for age and height (maintaining a body weight less than 85% of the expected weight)

2. An intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat, even though the person is underweight

3. Self-perception that is grossly distorted, excessive emphasis on body weight in self-assessment, and weight loss that is either minimized or not acknowledged completely

4. In women who have already begun their menstrual cycle, at least three consecutive periods are missed (amenorrhea), or menstrual periods occur only after a hormone is administered.
  • Alatariel75
    Options

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Timeline - Person begins developing anorexia. Person may be obese, overweight, healthy weight, or already skinny. If the person is obese at the beginning, it may take them months to reach the underweight state. Are you saying that in those months, which they are barely eating and obsessing about losing weight in an unhealthy manner, they aren't anorexic? That until they hit that underweight point, they are just what? on a diet? watching their weight?

So yes. I'm saying an obese person can have the mental illness anorexia. Will they remain obese? Probably not, unless they get help. But just because they have only been suffering the mental illness for a shorter period of time and haven't manifested the physical state which will eventuate yet doesn't mean they are suffering from the illness itself any less, then someone who has lived with it for months or years and is now chronically overweight.

Therefore, being underweight is NOT determanitive of whether someone IS anorexic. It just means that they haven't been anorexix long enough to be underweight.