Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    AGAIN-

THIS IS ONLY FOR AROUND A WEEK TO JUMP START MY WEIGHT LOSS.

I am not going to continue eating this way for more than a week, so why don't you tell me how this will make me fat and sick???

You don't need to jump start your weight loss, it'll be fast the first while anyway. If anything this would be better when you hit a plateau.
    I am sure you have heard/seen the debunking of fasting - as our body doesn't need it to detox or anything like that. However there was evidence in many animals - cats, mice, etc. that giving them an extremely reduced calorie intake over long periods of time has resulted in up to 50% longer lifespan.

I think having one meal a day puts enormous strain on the body to absorb nutrients and to digest thats unneeded. That is an opinion though, no evidence on my part to back it up. Either way it does not sound healthy, but neither does the SAD (Standard American Diet).

I would suggest you wait to do this later when you hit a plateau. The first month or two is always your best losing (for the most part) anyway. So if you lose more this month than you do next, you'll think that it was the fasting that did it when it could have not been that at all. But it'll be too late and you'll have developed an information bias about it. I've seen it happen before.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    AGAIN-

THIS IS ONLY FOR AROUND A WEEK TO JUMP START MY WEIGHT LOSS.

I am not going to continue eating this way for more than a week, so why don't you tell me how this will make me fat and sick???
    WHY, WHY, WHY do people feel the need to "jump start" their weight loss?????

1)
    Studies show that the slower you lose the longer you keep it off. It doesn't matter how much you lose if you don't keep it off.
    Pardon my generalizations, but...
    When you yo-yo diet you usually lose weight, then gain back PLUS more. Then you lose more weight and gain that back PLUS even more. Then the desparation sets in any you feel the need for even more drastic measures and the cycle ramps up.

2)
    the whole "jump start" strategy means...
    you have to to learn how to eat "on a diet" (depriving yourself?)
    Then you have to re-learn a whole new way of eating to maintain.

It's much easier if you learn healthy eating habits from the get go.

3)
    I don't worry about bone density, honestly, because I have the strongest bones you could imagine....
    There is really no way you can know this yet. You're 24... while cumulative the symptoms of Osteoporosis and Osteopeonia don't usually surface until sometime around menopause. And while the ads on TV for the meds seem like treating it is a breeze... it's not, my Mom seemed fine until she was 50 or so, but seeing her go through treatment and ending up in a wheelchair anyway was very motivational to my quest for health.
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    I agree with the OP. It's not fair to characterize her as an anorexic as she would have to be underweight.

Actually, just generally and not in relation to the OP, you can be anorexic and not underweight - YET. Just because someone hasn't been anorexic long enough to be underweight doesn't make them not anorexic.

According to webMD, a doctor will diagnosis you with anorexia by determining if you are underweight.

Starting a sentence with "According to WebMD..." is like starting a sentence with "According to Wikipdia/Dr Oz/That infomercial I saw last night..."

Don't me mad because I busted your ego. Links below to both webMD and the mayoclinc. If you are overweight, it's called Obesity, not Aneroxia. Hopefully something clicked for ya.

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/anorexia-nervosa/anorexia-nervosa-topic-overview?page=2
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/anorexia/DS00606/DSECTION=tests-and-diagnosis

you're right, I'm so mad I'm beside myself. Scuse me while I cuddle my ego.

Anorexia is a mental illness. Being underweight is a symptom. You don't get underweight until you have been anorexic for a period of time. People don't just get underweight and THEN start displaying symptoms of anorexia, they display the symptoms, which lead to being underweight, because they HAVE anorexia.

May I just say they you have no idea of my professional or personal background and while I feel no need to enlighten you, I don't need to resort to Google for my sources.

So you are saying that someone with obesity can be anorexic at the same time? Is this the new medical disease Fatorexia I've been hearing about? Created by doctor Alatariel?

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Timeline - Person begins developing anorexia. Person may be obese, overweight, healthy weight, or already skinny. If the person is obese at the beginning, it may take them months to reach the underweight state. Are you saying that in those months, which they are barely eating and obsessing about losing weight in an unhealthy manner, they aren't anorexic? That until they hit that underweight pint, they are just what? on a diet? watching their weight?

So yes. I'm saying an obese person can have the mental illness anorexia. Will they remain obese? Probably not, unless they get help. But just because they have only been suffering the mental illness for a shorter period of time and haven't manifested the physical symptoms yet doesn't mean they are suffering from the illness itself any less, then someone who has lived with it for months or years and is now chronically overweight.

Therefore, being underweight is NOT determanitive of whether someone IS anorexic.

Have to agree there... What I read before was a horrible definition. Fat people can be anorexic too, but most likely not diagnosed as easily due to their size.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options

Oh my holy...some one who is obese can become anorexic. While obese.

I'll have to disagree with you and agree with the medical websites that I've been posting. Here's one from Medicinenet that lays out the guidelines on how someone would be diagnosis with the mental illness.

http://www.medicinenet.com/anorexia_nervosa/page4.htm
    There are four basic criteria for the diagnosis of anorexia nervosa that are characteristic:

1.The refusal to maintain body weight at or above a minimally normal weight for age and height (maintaining a body weight less than 85% of the expected weight)

2. An intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat, even though the person is underweight

3. Self-perception that is grossly distorted, excessive emphasis on body weight in self-assessment, and weight loss that is either minimized or not acknowledged completely

4. In women who have already begun their menstrual cycle, at least three consecutive periods are missed (amenorrhea), or menstrual periods occur only after a hormone is administered.

Then it's time to call it. TROLL IN THE DUNGEON!!! TROOOOLLL IN THE DUNGEON!!!!
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    This way of doing it could be setting you up for failure. If you really want to eat a little, make sure it's VERY nutrient dense foods. Since your diary is not public, we don't know what you're eating.

If it's just empty calories then thats no good. If you're eating 800 calories from nutrient dense foods - then impressive.

I just ate a LARGE plate of Italian pasta, 4 crushed tomatoes, 3 cups of spinach, and 1 cup of mixed beans. That was 550 calories and a lot for a big guy like me to eat. If there was no pasta in there, then it would have been hard to get up to 550 calories since they made up over 350 of them. Makes me think that the 800 calories you eat in one meal is not the best.

I think of my food as fuel now. Anything I eat MUST be purpose driven. Obviously we are all different, and you posted here knowing you were going to get a bunch of opinions. Please just take into account others opinions who differ from yours and research it. you'll find that you can debunk any side of the argument because anyone can write a blog... In the end do what works for you - sadly, most assume it's one thing when it really is another, so you may never know :P
  • glitterstreet
    Options
    I started eating around 1000 calories and I was feeling fine until I eventually fainted twice while waiting in line for an amusement ride. It was embarrassing, scary and happened very suddenly. I was told I had not eaten enough by the nurse while I was being pushed in a wheel chair, be careful!
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

Timeline - Person begins developing anorexia. Person may be obese, overweight, healthy weight, or already skinny. If the person is obese at the beginning, it may take them months to reach the underweight state. Are you saying that in those months, which they are barely eating and obsessing about losing weight in an unhealthy manner, they aren't anorexic? That until they hit that underweight point, they are just what? on a diet? watching their weight?

So yes. I'm saying an obese person can have the mental illness anorexia. Will they remain obese? Probably not, unless they get help. But just because they have only been suffering the mental illness for a shorter period of time and haven't manifested the physical state which will eventuate yet doesn't mean they are suffering from the illness itself any less, then someone who has lived with it for months or years and is now chronically overweight.

Therefore, being underweight is NOT determanitive of whether someone IS anorexic. It just means that they haven't been anorexix long enough to be underweight.

I'm thankful that only medical professionals have the ability to diagnosis someone with Anexoria and not some random stranger on the internet who would rather rationalize her opinion of Anexoria instead of following medical guidelines that can be found anywhere on the net.

• jjrichard83
    Options
    If you feel high at the end of the day and there was no THC involved, you're doing it wrong.... Or right. Either way doesn't sound healthy.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You have lost 25lb - what are you trying to jump start.?

No-one can answer your question as there are too many variables - what your activity levels are, what you are eating, what your calories have been, what your current weight is etc etc.

You restrict calories too much you run the risk of hormonal disruption, metabolic issues (down regulation), lack of healthy body functions, greater risk of LBM loss, possible adherence issues.

Just eat at a reasonable caloric deficit and exercise...pick up some weights preferably.

What you are doing is a VLCD - it has nothing to do with fasting
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    Options
    Educate yourself, or have fun developing an eating disorder.
  • Alatariel75
    Options

Timeline - Person begins developing anorexia. Person may be obese, overweight, healthy weight, or already skinny. If the person is obese at the beginning, it may take them months to reach the underweight state. Are you saying that in those months, which they are barely eating and obsessing about losing weight in an unhealthy manner, they aren't anorexic? That until they hit that underweight point, they are just what? on a diet? watching their weight?

So yes. I'm saying an obese person can have the mental illness anorexia. Will they remain obese? Probably not, unless they get help. But just because they have only been suffering the mental illness for a shorter period of time and haven't manifested the physical state which will eventuate yet doesn't mean they are suffering from the illness itself any less, then someone who has lived with it for months or years and is now chronically overweight.

Therefore, being underweight is NOT determanitive of whether someone IS anorexic. It just means that they haven't been anorexix long enough to be underweight.

I'm thankful that only medical professionals have the ability to diagnosis someone with Anexoria and not some random stranger on the internet who would rather rationalize her opinion of Anexoria instead of following medical guidelines that can be found anywhere on the net.

So in your world, a person of "healthy" or obese weight who eats <200 calories a day, if that, and obsesses about their weight and about getting as skinny as possible shouldn't receive treatment or concern for their mental illness until they are underweight because they can't possibly be anorexic yet because they arent skinny enough?

Man, I'm I grateful I'm not someone you would ever have to take responsibility for or care about.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I thought fasting was not eating while the sun was up, generally for religious reasons.

There are various types of fasts, actually.

1. Spiritual fasts such as you describe... And these vary. Some for a specified part of the day, usually so one can devote more time to prayer. Some may be prolonged. Jesus fasted for 40 days and 40 nights... Some go a period of 2-3 days.. Others periods of hours. Depends on the faith, purpose and commitment. (Yes I mentioned Jesus but I do recognize there are other faiths that recognize fasting)...

2. Medical fasts ... those that are for some medical purpose. Commonly such as NPO after midnight orders.. this is a type of fast. I am sure there are others. These usually are to aid a test or procedure

3. Self-induced fasts... this is like the "intermittent fast" that was described earlier.

In short, it is a pretty wide term.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Please just take into account others opinions who differ from yours and research it. you'll find that you can debunk any side of the argument because anyone can write a blog... In the end do what works for you - sadly, most assume it's one thing when it really is another, so you may never know :P

And *that* is exactly the reason people should ask for and provide peer reviewed studies when someone makes claims.
  • tehbasketcasey
    Options
    Well, obviously everyone wants to prove they are right, instead of giving me good info.
    To those who have, thank you!
    To those who are concerned with my supposed eating disorder..... bye!
  • jjrichard83
    Options

So in your world, a person of "healthy" or obese weight who eats <200 calories a day, if that, and obsesses about their weight and about getting as skinny as possible shouldn't receive treatment or concern for their mental illness until they are underweight because they can't possibly be anorexic yet because they arent skinny enough?

Man, I'm I grateful I'm not someone you would ever have to take responsibility for or care about.

It's not worth arguing after you make a knockout point. some people just won't get it.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about bone density, honestly, because I have the strongest bones you could imagine.... and I will not get to the point where I stop having periods, that seems really unhealthy. Plus, since I take birth control, I'm not sure that it would happen. :P
    What if I were pregnant?! That is a worse deal for me than anything else, since I detest children. ( SORRY, MOTHERS! )
    What kind of fasting procedures have you heard of ?
    You lose lean body mass while in a deficit - part of that comes from bone mass density. The larger the deficit, however, leads to a greater lean body mass loss, including bone mass density. Furthermore, you don't wait to increase calories once you reach your goal; you systematically raise intake as you get closer. By being within 20 lbs of your goal, your deficit should be about 375 calories or so below actual TDEE.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options

It's not worth arguing after you make a knockout point. some people just won't get it.

I think I love you...
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

Again, with Fatorexia. Some doctors do prescribe VLC-Diets for obese patients and yet why are they not labeled as Anorexic and Obese at the same time? Fatorexia?

• Alatariel75
    Options
    picard-facepalm.jpg