Anyone lose a lot but not see a difference in the mirror?

Options
124»

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    YEP, i think you will find you can lose tons but in your head it still says hey biggun! :noway:
    shame but it will sink in it just takes time to get your head round the fact! :wink:
  • Kempossible
    Kempossible Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread. I am actually going through the same thing mentally. Glad to see I'm not the only one. Hopefully my mind will eventually catch up with my body. Great job on your weight loss !
  • courtneywiens
    courtneywiens Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I think it's interesting that so many people have this problem but it's so rarely talked about when dealing with weight loss. I would love to see some light shed on this issue on shows like Dr. Oz and other healthy living magazines, sites, etc. If anyone has seen anything that may be helpful or of interest, please share! :)
  • traciemc
    traciemc Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Wow - thank you for this thread!

It's so comforting to see that I'm not the only one who is experiencing this - maybe I'm not mad after all (well, not much anyway...)

I've lost over 60 pounds, and I still struggle to see a difference. It's easier clothed, but naked, nup I still look the same to me. When buying clothes, I always pick sizes that are far too big because my mind tells me that's the size that I am. I have people telling me to stop losing weight, but when they say that my immediate mental response is "But, I'm still so fat!!"

I can definitely see it more easily in pictures, and catching a glimpse of my reflection in a shop window tends to shock me still - but day to day, I struggle to see it.
  • courtneywiens
    courtneywiens Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Wow - thank you for this thread!

It's so comforting to see that I'm not the only one who is experiencing this - maybe I'm not mad after all (well, not much anyway...)

I've lost over 60 pounds, and I still struggle to see a difference. It's easier clothed, but naked, nup I still look the same to me. When buying clothes, I always pick sizes that are far too big because my mind tells me that's the size that I am. I have people telling me to stop losing weight, but when they say that my immediate mental response is "But, I'm still so fat!!"

I can definitely see it more easily in pictures, and catching a glimpse of my reflection in a shop window tends to shock me still - but day to day, I struggle to see it.

you look amazing, congrats!!
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I can so relate to everything in this thread. I KNOW I have lost weight but I really can't see it myself. I can feel bones I never knew I had so in that respect I know but looking in the mirror, I can't see a difference. I've been thinking that maybe I need to go out with some friends and get them to point out to me people who are the size I was and people who are the size I now am so that I can see.

Problem for me is that there are very few photos of me before I lost weight so it's hard to compare. I would purposely stay out of the way of the camera.

Right now I can sit here and feel collar bones. I could never do that before. I'm really struggling with this whole "getting my head around it" thing. I've written a few blog posts about it but I feel like people dont understand. Certainly none of my friends understand.

Shopping for me is near impossible. I never really shopped for clothes. I hated it because I was embarrassed. I would order clothes online and they would never fit properly so I would just order the next size. Rather than buying women's t'shirts I would buy men's 4xl shirts because it meant they were loose and baggy. I wouldnt know what size to even look at in a women's t'shirt. Even now I know I can wear a men's medium t'shirt but no idea what women's size to buy. If I walk into a clothing store I turn around and walk out because I am way too confused. I'm still embarrassed to try things on. I know I shouldnt be but I am.

My head really needs to catch up with the rest of me and it hasnt. I dont know when it ever will.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Yep. I'm down over 40 lbs now and I do not see a single change when I look in the mirror. Yesterday I put on my "fat" jeans on top of the jeans I was wearing and I still had a lot of room, so I know my body changed but I don't see it at all. It's frustrating!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!