Eating before exercise

Options

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Whatever works best for you. There is not set rule. Some people get sick if they do, I have to eat at no less than an hour before I exercise or I feel sluggish. Especially with volleyball I notice my reaction time and movements are slower if I do so on an empty stomach.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I workout first thing in the morning so I don't eat. There are some days that I workout in the late afternoon and I since my body isn't used to food in the belly I make sure I wait at least 3 hours. Now on long run days I can eat 1/2 banana or some almonds for that extra energy boost. Like everything else, play around with it until you find what works best for you.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I'm going to assume you're a troll.
    With the use of caps and multiple punctuation and inability to do any kind of research.

Guess what, I use to eat just three meals a day, and while you don't really have to to lose weight, eating 5 or 6 small meals /is/ healthier. Of course, eating 5 or 6 of crap food like wendy's and Mcdonalds- yeah that won't work.
    But it keep your metabolism up, if you do it eating healthy foods.

The only reason obesity is rising is because people don't understand what's actually healthy or they don't care.

Wow. I guess pointing out peoples grammar over the internet is easier than being clever.

meal frequency does not matter at all. 3 or 6 -NO DIFFERENCE. your metabolism will rise slightly but not enough to make ANY KIND OF DIFFERENCE!!!

I will say people who eat 6 meals tend to make better choices when it comes to food but how often it's consumed doesnt matter!
  • ChristieNJFitnessAddict
    Options
    If I know I'm going to have a heavy workout in the morning I usually eat a minimum of a half an hour or an hour before the gym and it's usually something light and full of protein like a hard boiled egg or two. I always like to have a banana 30 mins before my workouts to give me energy.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    My big workouts (a fitness and tkd class) are in the evenings. starting at 8 pm twice a week and 7 pm once a week. If I eat past 5pm (4-4:30 on Sundays), or my meal is too large, I might just see that meal again. But, when I take these classes, I really push myself and kill it. Other times a week, I'm on the treadmill or doing yoga. Treadmill, I can eat just before and be fine. Yoga, I'd prefer to have a somewhat empty belly

It's all personal preference
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Do what works best for you. I wait 4 hours before I attempt my 4 mile jog, otherwise I get cramps. I eat 1 k calories per meal so thatprobably has ssomething to do with it. Also, there are many people who exercise before they have breakfast in the morning.
  • kimberly728
    Options
    I wake up and go to the gym at 5am... once i finish my cardio, i get ready and go to work by 7, then i eat around 730-830 depending on the day.

If I eat before I go to the gym, I feel sluggish- no matter what it is that I eat before hand. obviusly not everyone is the same and I think its different for every individual.

maybe you should try out some options- go to the gym before eating, see how you feel. go to the gym after eating, see how you feel. which ever way makes you feel like you had a better workout then go with that option.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Ridiculous suggestion?! WHAT THE HELL?!! have you never heard of FASTED CARDIO?!

I never just made that *kitten* up on the spot!! people have been doing it successfully and safely for YEARS!!!

I'm pretty in tune with my body and know when to use fasted cardio and when not too!!
    It's not my fault if you blacked the hell out, pay attention to your body and you might get more out of it!!!

My original post stated LIGHT EXERCISE!!! I didnt' say run a damn marathon without eating did i??

it's just advice anyway, worked perfectly for me and you guys can take what you want or dont want from it!!

fasted cardio is debated and there are people who say it works and people who say it doesn't - all im saying is it's an option!!!!

sounds like another fad method to me, i can't see any decent info on it other than the typical fad following sites filled with DUDE!!! BRUH!!! types like you who barely know how to string a sentence together let alone how to come to a rational conclusion of how the body works

I'm sorry but i wouldn't want to ask you what the time was let alone how to treat my body, considering you think you can entirely fuel a workout on fat stores, given the body uses fat stores as it's last source of energy before death and it takes an average person 3 weeks to die from this the speed at which your body uses this energy is minimal, at best your putting your body into shock at the worst your dropping your blood sugar levels too low.

if it works for you... then it's probably what you've eaten during the day and you have a slow metabolism which really isnt suprising given how you treat your body.

and yet your SUPER DUPER DUDEY WORKOUT you can't even tell someone they can lose 2lbs per week.... i think you said it was impossible? and they needed to change their goals? so you can't be doing that well

when a friend of mine has lost 2lbs per week for the last 4 weeks and is still dropping from doing cycling and lowering calories to a modest 1800
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I think it's a matter of personal preference. I practice intermittent fasting and go to the gym and work out fasted. I feel better that way but some people feel terrible or pass out, etc... I think I lift better when I'm fasted.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Eat before exercise!!!?? Whooooaaa!!! take a step back, lady!!! the way i look at it, food fuels the workout!!

i want to attack my FAT STORES otherwise im just sweating my balls off to work off the toast I just ate!!! pointless in my book!!!!!
    might as well just bin the toast and not bother with exersices as the results are the same calorie-wise so *kitten* IT!!!

Your body has FAT to use as energy so USE IT, don't fill up on carbs/sugars or whatever!!!

Do some FASTED CARDIO!!!! 20-30mins LIGHT EXERSISE!!!! thats all you need!! dont be spending 90mins on a treadmill like the other boffins I see sweating through 7 layers of clothes!!! its unnesseccary!!!

I lose weight just sitting here yawning!! I havent seen the inside of a gym since Noah built the Ark and Im LEAN AS HELL THESE DAYS!!!

USE THE FAT YOUR TRYIN TO LOSE!!!!

(just my oppinion, probably totally wrong, but maybe worth a shot, though?! thanks)

Everyone's metabolism is different. I, for one, get light-headed if I don't eat before a workout -- even if it is just 20 minutes. I absolutely need to have a half sandwich or a scoop of peanut butter at the least before working out if I'm going to make a full effort.
  • Change_is_Good_
    Change_is_Good_ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Steady up boys! Testosterone city in here!

You both have different opinions that work for you as different people, let's agree to disagree rather than picking holes in each post

:)

General consensus appears to be that it depends on the person and if you are just doing light exercise either way won't hurt
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Eat before exercise!!!?? Whooooaaa!!! take a step back, lady!!! the way i look at it, food fuels the workout!!

i want to attack my FAT STORES otherwise im just sweating my balls off to work off the toast I just ate!!! pointless in my book!!!!!
    might as well just bin the toast and not bother with exersices as the results are the same calorie-wise so *kitten* IT!!!

Your body has FAT to use as energy so USE IT, don't fill up on carbs/sugars or whatever!!!

Do some FASTED CARDIO!!!! 20-30mins LIGHT EXERSISE!!!! thats all you need!! dont be spending 90mins on a treadmill like the other boffins I see sweating through 7 layers of clothes!!! its unnesseccary!!!

I lose weight just sitting here yawning!! I havent seen the inside of a gym since Noah built the Ark and Im LEAN AS HELL THESE DAYS!!!

(just my oppinion, probably totally wrong, but maybe worth a shot, though?! thanks)

WRONG!!!! Lets keep this simple if you feel better working out with food in your stomach then eat before working out.(I normally eat a small breakfast 30 mins before the gym) If you feel bloated or feel funny after eating and working out then train on a empty stomach. If you train fasted I would recommend a post workout meal for sure and possibly a bcaa supplement preworkout if you are weight training.

***NOTE PEOPLE WHO FAST DO NOT NEED TO KEEP SAYING THAT IS THE RIGHT WAY TO EAT, IT IS ALL ABOUT WHAT FITS YOUR LIFESTYLE**
  • tricksee
    Options

You both have different opinions that work for you as different people, let's agree to disagree rather than picking holes in each post

General consensus appears to be that it depends on the person and if you are just doing light exercise either way won't hurt

Agreed.

Apologies for caps lock abuse and severe overuse of exclamation marks.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Ridiculous suggestion?! WHAT THE HELL?!! have you never heard of FASTED CARDIO?!

I never just made that *kitten* up on the spot!! people have been doing it successfully and safely for YEARS!!!

I'm pretty in tune with my body and know when to use fasted cardio and when not too!!
    It's not my fault if you blacked the hell out, pay attention to your body and you might get more out of it!!!

My original post stated LIGHT EXERCISE!!! I didnt' say run a damn marathon without eating did i??

it's just advice anyway, worked perfectly for me and you guys can take what you want or dont want from it!!

fasted cardio is debated and there are people who say it works and people who say it doesn't - all im saying is it's an option!!!!

Oh look, a study of Fasted Cardio.

http://blogs.menshealth.com/bellyoff-nutritionist/the-truth-about-fasted-cardio/2011/04/14/

"The group that ate BEFORE the moderate cardio session continued to burn significantly MORE calories up to 24 hours after the exercise bout."

That research might be flawed since I can't find the details of it and the link to the journal is broken in that blog. A more recent study, Oct 2012 shows that exercising before breakfast burns more fat.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/recent-study-finds-exercising-breakfast-140000520.html
  • tricksee
    Options
    If you look hard enough, you'll find a study that backs up and debunks absolutely everything.

Go by your own body! be your own personal trainer as only YOU know best.

If you respond to Fasted Cardio, great! if you don't try something else!!

HIIT for example - some people say as little as 3mins high intensity exercise every other day is enough to lose weight!

trial and error if you ask me!!!

BUT AT LEAST TRY!
  • mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I always eat a small bowl of cereal about an hour before my workout. It gives me the energy I need without having too much food in my stomach. Then again I have done an intense hill workout on the treadmill for about 45 minutes and that cereal burned off quickly because by the time I was done I felt shaky and felt this deep hunger like I have never felt before. So if I plan on doing that workout I will eat a little protein with my cereal as well
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Theres pros and cons to exercising on an empty stomach versus eating withing a few hours of a workout.

i used to read that if you exercised in the morning before eating that you would burn more fat. Somehow having less stored glycogen in your muscles is supposed to cause your body to use stored body fat more quickly then it otherwise would in a work out. They same effect (glycogen depleted muscles) can be achieved by doing resistance training before cardio.

Recently i've read that training in such a state reduces the 'after burn effect', where your body is burning calories in order to recover from exercise.

I'd say its basically a wash and you should exercise however is most comfortable to you. I eat an extreamly light meal, like and apple, or an apple and a protein shake, just about an hour before a work out. If its a resistance workout, i can cut it closer if i want.

I mostly eat before i work out because i feel as though i am in a much better state mentally and physically to work out and i hate being hungry in the middle of a workout.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options

it's not about testosterone for me i just don't like bad advice especially when given as fact with one of those "but hey i'm just me" things to back it up with fake confidence

as i said in my original reply it's very dependant on how quick you digest food, i do so quickly and can eat an hour before a workout and not feel like i have food in my stomach i'm ready churn out when i get going, hence why i said allow your stomach to digest it, this could be 20 mins or 3 hours, but to say fast for a workout and "use your fat stores" is just plain wrong by any medical/ nutrional/ training perspective
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Ok lets end this. If your hungry before you go workout then eat. If your not hungry then don't eat ;-) BAM!
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

WRONG!!!! Lets keep this simple if you feel better working out with food in your stomach then eat before working out.(I normally eat a small breakfast 30 mins before the gym) If you feel bloated or feel funny after eating and working out then train on a empty stomach. If you train fasted I would recommend a post workout meal for sure and possibly a bcaa supplement preworkout if you are weight training.

***NOTE PEOPLE WHO FAST DO NOT NEED TO KEEP SAYING THAT IS THE RIGHT WAY TO EAT, IT IS ALL ABOUT WHAT FITS YOUR LIFESTYLE**

^^^This!!! Meal timing is of no importance when it comes to weight loss. Being at a calorie deficit at the end of each day is what induces weight loss, not whether or not you ate something before you worked out. It is all about personal preference and what will help you perform better!