Wow - how many times a day do we do this??

Options
How often do we compare ourselves to others? Most of those times, don't we feel like we fall short of the top?
Did you know that when you compare yourself to others or wish you were like someone else, it’s like saying He just didn’t do a good job? It’s actually like saying, “God, why did You make me subpar? Why did You make me less than?” Realize today, God didn’t make anyone inferior. He didn’t make any person second class. No, you are a masterpiece! You are fully loaded and totally equipped for the race that’s been designed for you!

Today, let your attitude be, “I may not look like someone else or have the job that someone else has. That’s okay. Nobody will ever be a better me. I’m anointed to be me. I’m equipped to be me!” Remember, it’s easy to do what you are equipped to do. Don’t fall into the trap of trying to be like someone else. Accept who God made you to be and embrace the good things He has prepared for you!

We really ARE the best US we can be. No one else can be like us. We need to stop feeling like we aren't quite thin enough, smart enough, tall enough, pretty enough, patient enough, etc........and start loving and accepting ourselves.

Replies

• spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    how many times a day do we do this?

Zero.
  • StrawberryThief
    Options
    It's great your religion is important to you and motivational in your weight loss, but externalising blame for our negative points isn't that helpful for some of us.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    How often do we compare ourselves to others? Most of those times, don't we feel like we fall short of the top?
    Did you know that when you compare yourself to others or wish you were like someone else, it’s like saying He just didn’t do a good job? It’s actually like saying, “God, why did You make me subpar? Why did You make me less than?” Realize today, God didn’t make anyone inferior. He didn’t make any person second class. No, you are a masterpiece! You are fully loaded and totally equipped for the race that’s been designed for you!

Today, let your attitude be, “I may not look like someone else or have the job that someone else has. That’s okay. Nobody will ever be a better me. I’m anointed to be me. I’m equipped to be me!” Remember, it’s easy to do what you are equipped to do. Don’t fall into the trap of trying to be like someone else. Accept who God made you to be and embrace the good things He has prepared for you!

We really ARE the best US we can be. No one else can be like us. We need to stop feeling like we aren't quite thin enough, smart enough, tall enough, pretty enough, patient enough, etc........and start loving and accepting ourselves.

Seriously??? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard since, um... the last time I read a forum post.

No it's not. It's like saying, "God, thanks for the free will... now I can *kitten* up this wonderful life and body you have given me."

And no, we aren't the best us we can be... that's why we are here, to try to be better. That's why we go to church and pray for help or go to confession and ask for forgiveness... because we screw up. Every day we are trying to be a better version of ourselves than we were yesterday.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Get this; not everyone believes in god.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Well, all righty then....guess I should have kept my mouth shut!~ lol

I found it comforting....thought I'd share.

Sorry to rattle everyone's chains~!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

I think there's merit to certain pieces in some context... but not here. Saying God made us this way is not an excuse to not try to be better. Trying to be better is like saying, "Thanks God for this wonderful gift. I'm going to do everything I can to make the most of it."
  • gwenmf
    Options

I think there's merit to certain pieces in some context... but not here. Saying God made us this way is not an excuse to not try to be better. Trying to be better is like saying, "Thanks God for this wonderful gift. I'm going to do everything I can to make the most of it."

I'm not saying we shouldn't try to be better. I'm just saying we should accept that we aren't as bad as we tend to tell ourselves we are. There's always room to grow and improve.
  • StrawberryThief
    Options
    Exactly!
    God (or from my personal perspective, science) gave me this body and it deserves to be looked after and be the best it can be. :smile:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Atheist. *skips over the religious parts* I'm 31 years old and still learning how not to compare myself to others. Becoming solid in who I am and what I am capable of is taking a long time.

But it's good to try. Good to work on it. I believe some amount of comparison is VITAL in getting along in this world - you learn social cues, context, rules, role models, etc. But the real core of you is learned on your own - and is discovered and changed only by you and your efforts.

Cheers. Good post.
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options

Thank your for posting this. And like you said in another post, it's not about letting yourself go, but using your abilities to your greatest potential, and not constantly thinking, "I wish I looked more like that" when there is no way you will ever look like that person.
    I guess this forum might not have been the best place to post this, maybe one of the groups that is composed of Christians would be more receptive, but you did brighten my day a bit :)
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I thought it was a great post and I totally agree. :bigsmile:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I thought the OP was rather sweet.

Accepting that you are a good person worthy of love and acceptance no matter what weight you are is a very healthy mindset.

Our physical weight never defines who we are...
  • rolley89
    Options
    It's great your religion is important to you and motivational in your weight loss, but externalising blame for our negative points isn't that helpful for some of us.

Agreed
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options

^^^ This^^^ We have the potential,but it is up to us to tap into it.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Everybody has it in them to look way better than they ever thought possible.

At some point, with enough dedication and hard work, you will stop comparing yourself to others. You will instead be proud of what you have created, knowing the years of hard work that went into it. And you will feel inferior to no one.

At first you may wish to look like ________, but with a lot of time, experience, and results, eventually that ______ becomes you.

If you have to compare yourself to others, you are not proud of who you are. if you are not proud of who you are, it has nothing to do with god, it is because you know that you haven't done your best and thus are not truly proud of and confident in yourself.

When I first started out I wished to look like _____. Nowadays I've been at it long enough and have a good enough sense of where I will be when I reach my goals, that I no longer wish to look like ____, I wish to look like me, however ____ will look like me when I reach my goals (obviously someone that is built very similar to me).
  • pamuyamakene
    pamuyamakene Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Really comforting ! Thank you for this post. Whether we are overweight or not we are not inferior to anyone else. Our bad choices may have lead us to where we are, our genetics may have helped along the way but at the end of the day when we do lose weight its not to be better than anyone but ourselves. So to me, who does believe in God, I add to this, to be in the best form we can with what God has blessed us with in life, is to take the best out of life in every sense.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Exactly!
    God (or from my personal perspective, science) gave me this body and it deserves to be looked after and be the best it can be. :smile:

Not that this has anything to do with the original post but I really appreciate your reply here. While you may not agree with the OP as far as where your body comes from this is such a respectful and honest reply- :flowerforyou:
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm an Atheist, but I get the gist of your post. I'm trying to be more accepting of myself, though it's way easier said than done some days.
  • ToFatToBeSick
    Options
    Get this; not everyone believes in god.

THIS. Now. I'm going to say I do in fact believe in "God" in ways but this Christian stuff all over the threads is ridiculous! I'm here to lose weight not have your religion forced onto me.
  • gwenmf
    Options
    I'm an Atheist, but I get the gist of your post. I'm trying to be more accepting of myself, though it's way easier said than done some days.

Thank you for being able to not be with me on the religion aspect of this but still be able to post something with kindness and positive. Leaving God in the post or taking God out -- it really is about being comfortable in our own skin as we make this journey. Very respectful and very classy that you responded to me the way you did and I very much appreciate it.