Protein for someone with WHEY, EGG, DAIRY allergies

Options
13»

Replies

• mbouf94
    mbouf94 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Have a slow cooker? Every Sunday I make protein packed soups or stews in my slow cooker and parse them out into 3-4 servings in my fridge for lunches during the week.

I make things like barley/lentil soup, bean and kale, southwestern chicken and white bean. They are loaded in protein, pretty low cal, and keep me full for hours. All I have to do is grab a dish out of the fridge in the morning and heat it up in the microwave at work.

I have two slow cookers :-) I made a lentil soup on Sunday and tonight I am making chickpea cumin soup. Definitely love making soups to last all week for quick meals and lunches.

Bean and Kale; southwest chicken and white bean sounds delicious! any links to recipes?
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Savory Bean and Kale Soup

Makes: 6 servings

Ingredients
    3 14-ounce cans vegetable broth
    1 15-ounce can tomato puree
    1 15-ounce can small white beans or Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
    1/2 cup uncooked brown rice (I prefer using barley)
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    8 cups coarsely chopped fresh kale leaves
    Finely shredded Parmesan cheese

Directions
    1. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine vegetable broth, tomato puree, beans, rice, onion, basil, salt, pepper, and garlic.
    2. Cover; cook on low-heat setting 5 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours.
    3. Just before serving, stir in spinach or kale and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Nutrition facts per serving: 150 calories, 9g protein, 31g carbohydrate, 3g fat (1g saturated), 8g fiber

Southwest Chicken & White Bean Soup

Makes: 4 to 6 servings

1 tbsp. canola oil
    1 lb. boneless/skinless chicken breast
    3 tsp. minced garlic
    2 tsp. ground cumin
    1 can of white beans (drained and rinsed)
    1 cup frozen yellow corn
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 cups fat-free, low sodium chicken broth
    1 cup Pace chunky salsa

Cube chicken and lightly brown in canola oil. Add chicken and all other ingredients to slow-cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours, or low 6-8 hours.

Nutrition: (4 servings) 316 cal., 35 carb., 6g fat, 36g protein, 9g fiber, 10 calcium (per serving)
    (6 servings) 211 cal., 23 carb., 4g fat, 24g protein, 6g fiber, 7 calcium (per serving)

I like to toast corn tortillas in the oven to have on the side.
  • Danger2OneSelf
    Danger2OneSelf Posts: 883 Member
    Options

TOPIC: Protein for someone with WHEY, EGG, DAIRY allergies
    ]mindblownl.jpg[/URL]
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    chicken
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Pea protein for shakes if you want those.

Or hydrolyzed beef isolate for shakes too, but I make no guarantee as to the taste of liquefied, fat removed, dehydrated, powdered cow.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    That's very tough, I have intolerance to dairy as well but I can eat eggs and whey (I supplement with whey protein powder). Maybe use a soy protein powder (can be found without lactose, egg and whey so might be an option).

Also leans meats as much as you can!

I am having cooked extra extra lean ground sirloin beef + peas + mushrooms (only 1.5 cups of the 3 combined) on 1 cup of cooked white rice (without salt or butter) with 5 brussel sprouts steam cooked. 52g protein, 54g carbs, 19g fat and 628 calories.

It's pretty easy to reheat if you have tupperware and doesn't overly dry the meat. I cook the rice in the microwave at work, add 1.5x the water as the rice and it turns out perfect. So there are always options and different ways :) My meat favorites for protein is Salmon, Sirloin Beef, light flaked tuna or tuna filet, and turkey.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Sunwarrior it is awesome I love the chocolate!!!

http://www.sunwarrior.com/
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Hemp protein powder.
    Reactions vary. to some it has no taste. To others it tasted bitter.
    Mix with fruits smoothy or other flavors.
    One warning though. If you take Metamucil daily you probably won't need it anymore.

I'm not a fan of soy protein because it does not metabolize as well as whey.

Lots of good ideas from many others.