HELP: Almond milk ALWAYS curdles in my tea/coffee

I am not supposed to be eating dairy (intolerance) but I have a little bit in coffee or tea a few times a week. I use almond milk for everything else and have tried to put almond milk in coffee but it curdles EVERY.SINGLE.TIME!

I've tried putting the milk into the mug first, I've tried adding the milk last...doesn't change the outcome.

Does anyone have any suggestions because I WILL NOT drink black coffee.

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    i don't think it's possible for almond milk to curdle??? i heat my coffee hotter before i ever add the almond milk to mine and i have no issues...how old is the almond milk you're using?
  • mbouf94
    mbouf94 Posts: 31 Member
    i don't think it's possible for almond milk to curdle??? i heat my coffee hotter before i ever add the almond milk to mine and i have no issues...how old is the almond milk you're using?

I have opened a brand new, fresh carton of almond milk and it happens. I use Earth's Own unsweetened almond milk.
  • Mandylynne1979
    Mandylynne1979 Posts: 59 Member
    i tried the silk almond milk vanilla flavor in mine and didn't curdle...maybe it's your brand? Try silk or blue diamond maybe?
  • mbouf94
    i tried the silk almond milk vanilla flavor in mine and didn't curdle...maybe it's your brand? Try silk or blue diamond maybe?

I've tried Blue Diamond and same thing happens, little chunks form and float on the coffee. I'll try with Silk next time.
  • laura0001
    laura0001 Posts: 18 Member
    I know what you're saying, but I don't think it's curdling. Maybe try mixing it REALLY well before drinking and not letting it sit too long. If I let my coffee and almond milk sit for a little bit it gets a weird looking but not curdled.
  • sarahd150
    sarahd150 Posts: 17 Member
    I'm not familiar with almond milk specifically, but I do know that the acidity of coffee (combined with heat) cause soy milk and some other non-dairy milk items to curdle. It's not actually going bad, it won't make you sick, but it is icky to look at. If your almond milk is fine in tea or a hot chocolate, it may be that the acidity of your coffee is the problem. If you haven't had any luck with pouring the almond milk into the cup first, or adding a splash of coffee to the almond milk first before adding a whole glass, you could try a coffee variety with lower acidity. Again, this is a guess because all I'm familiar with is soy in coffee.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    I have this problem with soy milk, I came to my own conclusion about it. I think it is because of the temperature of the water. Try this...I leave my tea (don't drink coffee) for a little while after boiling then add the milk quickly and stir quickly. My fiancé has just suggested heating the milk to the same temp as the tea/coffee.
    Good luck! it is so annoying :laugh:
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    interesting, i mix protein powder with my almond milk before i add it and sometimes i do get little chunks floating around, but i thought that was the protein powder failing to dissolve. i guess you just have to try and drink it quickly. it doesn't seem to affect the taste in mine at all.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    I use Blue Diamond unsweetened and have never had an issue. Are you shaking the carton really well before using it? I find if I don't I get little piece in my coffee but it's not a curdle.

If that doesn't work, you can buy dairy free coffee whiteners (Coffee Mate for example). They are a powder and are good for people who are lactose intolerant among other dairy issues. It makes your voffee taste like you have cream in it. And it's not too bad on calories. I believe it's about 40cal a tbsp for the regular version and 15 cals a tbsp for the light version... but that will vary based on brand and where you live.

They also sell Soy creamer (I'm not sure if they have an almond version) at some stores. Since it's designed for coffee it may work... i find it far too expensive though.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,882 Member
    I bet your putting the milk in your cup first....try adding later.
  • mbouf94
    Thanks for the responses everyone.

I think you're all right about it not actually 'curdling' in a bad way, but the look of it freaks me out. I definitely do shake the carton well first so maybe I'll just have to stir the coffee and almond milk faster and then put my travel mug lid on and ignore any floaters.

HA HA.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Thanks for the responses everyone.

I think you're all right about it not actually 'curdling' in a bad way, but the look of it freaks me out. I definitely do shake the carton well first so maybe I'll just have to stir the coffee and almond milk faster and then put my travel mug lid on and ignore any floaters.

HA HA.

If the look of it bugs you, try a creamer version.. There is a soy one (I can't remember the brand.. soy something... It's pretty good). Or try the dairy free whiteners.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    yeeeah....acid and milk are awesome. Wanna make a barista gag? Go order a full fat milk lemon latte.
  • koko12
    koko12 Posts: 81 Member
    that happened to me and i didnt even care haha. just drank it
  • Weird. I'm having my coffee right now with Silk Pure Almond and it looks totally normal (I keep looking into my cup to check). I've also used Blue Diamond with no issues. I have however seen that happen with Half and Half that has been frozen and then thawed. Not curdled or bad, but the cream just sits at the top of the cup in tiny clumps.
  • CADreaming09
    CADreaming09 Posts: 311 Member

It curdles! Has in cereal for me too. Sucks. Switched hubby to rice milk, but sooo many calories in it.
  • I'm not familiar with almond milk specifically, but I do know that the acidity of coffee (combined with heat) cause soy milk and some other non-dairy milk items to curdle. It's not actually going bad, it won't make you sick, but it is icky to look at. If your almond milk is fine in tea or a hot chocolate, it may be that the acidity of your coffee is the problem. If you haven't had any luck with pouring the almond milk into the cup first, or adding a splash of coffee to the almond milk first before adding a whole glass, you could try a coffee variety with lower acidity. Again, this is a guess because all I'm familiar with is soy in coffee.

I was going to suggest the same thing. Take some coffee and mix it in before,, your milk is too cold.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Blue Diamond unsweetened doesn't seem to do it as badly. I currently have some Pacific Foods unsweetened almond milk and no matter what I do it curdles. One of the coffee places around here uses coconut milk in their lattes so maybe it does better? I've tried stirring better but that doesn't help. I was thinking it had more to do with the acid content than heat but haven't tried it cold yet. I don't believe that it has anything to do with spoiling. If you have ever added lemon juice to cow's milk it does the same type of thing.
  • lauranell79
    lauranell79 Posts: 31 Member
    I haven't had it curdle but it tastes horrible. and I LOVE almond milk with everything else. Just can't do it with coffee.
  • I don't think its curdling. Its just separating. This happens to me when I put it in when the coffee is EXTREMELY hot and the milk is cold. U just have to stir it and it will go away and as it cools you won't notice any separated. Good luck!