HELP: Almond milk ALWAYS curdles in my tea/coffee

Options

Replies

• My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I've never had an issue with Silk Almond Milk and any of the coffees or teas that I add it to.
  • museumeclectic
    museumeclectic Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I work at a coffee shop and I know what you are talking about, but it isn't curdling it's actually just separating. What we do to keep it from doing this is to temper the ingredients or heat them up together. I don't know if it is possible for you to do that at home, but if you can figure out a way...I would try it.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I have had my almond milk curdle in my coffee, too. It only happens when I use certain flavored coffees, though. Can't think of the exact names offhand, but they were flavors like vanilla nut and toffee. When I use plain coffee grounds or chocolate flavors I don't have the problem.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Try this:

Take the amount of almond milk you want for coffee and put it into your coffee mug and leave get it to room temperature either by microwaving it for 10-20 seconds or leaving it unchilled for an hour.

Also, remember not to pour boiling water onto the coffee, make it relatively hot.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I actually think it is the acid that causes the curdling, separation or whatever. The other day I went to have another cup of coffee later in the day. The coffee was room temp and the Pacific Foods almond milk was cold. It still curdled in the cup. I think brand can also affect it since this happens much less with the Blue Diamond that I usually have. Due to a busy schedule I bought the aseptically packaged stuff since I knew I wasn't going to have time to go to the store later for the refrigerated stuff.
  • jazikids
    jazikids Posts: 3
    Options
    Even though I like Earth's Own Almond Fresh on its own in cereal, etc. it ALWAYS curdles in coffee... which to me is yuck...like drinking black coffee with crud in it...! Silk on the other hand does not... :)
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I always use either Silk PureAlmond or Blue Diamond almondmilk in my coffee, and haven't had any problems with separation, although I have with other brands.

What works really nicely for me is to froth the almondmilk first using a handheld, battery-operated frother. (I get them at IKEA for $2 or $3 each.) Froth the cold milk, pour the hot coffee in, and then I have a coffee with a lovely layer of froth on top.
  • jazikids
    Options
    frothing it is great...just like having a latte or cappuccino!!!
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem with soy but not so much with almond milk. I use Blue Diamond and put the almond milk in first. One thing I've done lately which might help you, is put the almond milk in a pot on the stove to heat it first and that also helps with keeping the coffee hotter longer!
  • jazikids
    Options
    I agree that Silk and Blue Diamond are best overall ... :)
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    When I was getting groceries this week, I noticed So Delicious is now making an coconut milk coffee "creamer." They had original, French Vanilla and Hazelnut. If you're not sensitive to coconut, it might be worth a try. I also saw that Silk (soy) had a coffee creamer too.
  • iLoveMyAR15
    iLoveMyAR15 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    this has never happened to me. I use the Blue Diamond Almond Breeze and i love it in coffee
  • mirjaam
    mirjaam Posts: 4
    Options
    Read below.
  • mirjaam
    mirjaam Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi, I think I've got it!! :smile: I think it has to do with how long the coffee beans are roasted. Light roasted beans have a higher acidity = almond milk curdles in the coffee. The darker the beans are roasted the less acid they are = no curdling coffee. Try a medium/dark or dark roasted coffee next time. (And to be safe, first pour the milk in the cup. Then add the coffee.)

I use 365 Organic Unsweetened Almond Milk from Whole Foods. Have loved it every day until it suddenly started to curdle in my coffee. In hindsight I realized I had switched to a lighter roasted coffee, the milk was still the same (the best! ;) ).

Hope this helps you! Would be fun to know if this theory works for anyone else.
  • Cyliesmom
    Cyliesmom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So weird to hear about the curdling, I have used silk, blue diamond, whatever is on sale. Never had a problem with curdling. I am in Canada, not sure if almond milk is different here?
  • mamabearpj
    Options
    to mirjaam - I also use 365 Whole Foods Organic Unsweetened Almond Milk and have never had a separation issue before. Suddenly, the is happening for the last couple weeks. I tried your theory and I agree with you. I have a Keurig system. It separates with my Starbucks Blonde but not with my Starbucks Sumatra coffee. Thank you for solving the problem. I was getting grossed out every morning. It is definitely the coffee!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Coffee creamers are lactose free... (says right on the bottle - "Lactose Free, as always!" and then a little lower "all coffee creamers are lactose free"
  • Glen_W_
    Options
    It's definitely the coffee that's causing it. I always got the almond milk separation problem when using instant coffee. Since I've changed to making plunger coffee I haven't had the problem at all (they had the same medium roast).

I've tried all different temperature combinations for the water and the almond milk. The instant coffee almost always separated, and the plunger coffee never has yet.

A previous poster said frothing the milk worked, but I've got a hand held milk frother, and frothing the milk didn't work at all for the instant coffee, but looks great in the plunger coffee.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    try coconut cream
  • nixxss
    nixxss Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So, I have had this problem too and have just tried heating my milk in micowave for 20 secs, then mixing in the boiling water, sugar and coffee.. No curdle.. I've switched to almond milk too.