Annoying other people!

Options
Hi all,

I went for lunch with a friend today and started to MFP what I wanted before ordering so I knew where I stood with calories and then started to explain to her that the walk I did this morning "cancelled" out my breakfast, etc.
She rolled her eyes at me (in a friendly way) and then got my other half in on the "doesn't she talk about calories all the time" banter wagon.

Is anyone else finding that your friends and partners are (jokingly) getting annoyed by all the calorie talk?

:) x

Replies

• djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Well, I know that having to do my OWN calorie/carb checks with food sometimes sucks all the fun out of it. Even if it is something I like having to track it all kind of turns it into a chore... so I can understand why other people would get annoyed.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    That's why I keep it to myself. My husband LOVVVVVVES to tell me when I'm wrong, so if the only thing I did was talk calories and diet I would give him a lot of ammo.

I don't want a lot of ammo coming at me. :glasses:
  • iveyroze3
    Options
    In general I have found that people don't like it because then they might have to think about all the calories they are putting in their mouths. If I know I am going out,I research the place first and get an idea of what I can even have. I find friends and loved ones are supportive to an extent ,but mostly don't want to hear about Myfitnesspal. But when the weight is coming off they want to know how you are doing it. Tracking calories,water and exercise.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    yes, people get annoyed. Who cares...

They get annoyed because ignorance is bliss.

They don't want to be reminded that the hamburger and fries that they are eating for lunch makes up 75% of their TDEE for the day. I try not to be too obvious, though. I hold my phone under the table and log it or whatever. They still know what I am doing, but it is the equivalent of a smoker blowing smoke in your face versus off the to side - you still know they are smoking, but it isn't so intrusive.

One of the most interesting aspects of my weightloss has been from a purely social perspective. I get shunned by some people now and some people that would never talk to me before are suddenly wanting to be friends. Others just try to sabotage or criticize me and tell me to gain weight. Pretty sick that our society has come to terms with obses = normal and healthy = sick.
  • Rockytop_relic
    Rockytop_relic Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I can handle people being annoyed as long as I'm being healthy!
  • ReclaimingSarah
    ReclaimingSarah Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It apparently does get old. I get annoyed when my friends only talk about one single topic obsessively, so why wouldn't they get annoyed when I do it?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,099 Member
    Options
    That's why I keep it to myself. My husband LOVVVVVVES to tell me when I'm wrong, so if the only thing I did was talk calories and diet I would give him a lot of ammo.

I don't want a lot of ammo coming at me. :glasses:

THIS^^^^ X 1000.

And it would cut down on these types of rants, as well. :laugh:

I tell no one in my real life. Is nunnya bidness.
  • Gharley64
    Gharley64 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I went for lunch with a friend today and started to MFP what I wanted before ordering so I knew where I stood with calories and then started to explain to her that the walk I did this morning "cancelled" out my breakfast, etc.
    She rolled her eyes at me (in a friendly way) and then got my other half in on the "doesn't she talk about calories all the time" banter wagon.

Is anyone else finding that your friends and partners are (jokingly) getting annoyed by all the calorie talk?

Only the fat ones...)
  • cmotting
    cmotting Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't think we have to talk about our calories all the time. That is why we use this website...

I mean, I get annoyed when someone is constantly talking about the same thing. I think that's normal. But I have been a little out of sorts this week, so it could just be me.

But sometimes my brothers make fun of me for measuring out serving sizes.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Yes...but he's getting used to it. (He=husband.)

Initially would roll eyes and b*tch about what and how he cooked because "he didn't know what I could and couldn't eat." I told him pretty much everything if he would quit putting hog fat in everything for flavor.

Now? (and maybe it's because he sees that I AM getting smaller, and that I am out there working out every day) He tells me supper's ready before he lets the kid know so I can get in there and measure and weigh everything.

The girls at work? They don't care...Heck, one of them is on here with me.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Don't go into detail when you do it. If they're not a weight-loss friend, then simply say "pardon me for a second while I log my food" to explain why you're on your phone. And if THEY ask follow up questions, then that is your cue to tell them more. But only what they ask for. Don't volunteer info. Going on about fat/calories/etc. is like talking to someone talk about a religion or political party they're not interested in.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I've learned to keep my calorie talk to myself, too. It does nothing but annoy others. As another poster said, you can just step aside and say "Just a second, have to log this." (That's what I do when out with friends.) Best for me to keep it for here, where EVERYONE is talking about it!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I keep the calorie talk to MFP people or people specifically asking me advice.
  • ocbrenda
    ocbrenda Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    People do get annoyed with me counting my calories, but I don't mind as long as I'm healthy and feeling good!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    That's what MFP is for.

IRL friends don't need to know about it because they aren't as cool as me. I mean, people here.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I keep the calorie talk to MFP people or people specifically asking me advice.

^^This
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Did you start explaining without her asking? Was there a tangent involved? It may simply be that you really are talking about calories all the time and that it's irritatingly unwanted when all your company wants to do is enjoy their lunch.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My husband gets annoyed by it. That's why I post on here a lot and I joined a fitness group on FB. Now I don't talk to him much about it.
  • toshi89
    toshi89 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just don't say anything. If someone asks, "I'm checking calories" the end
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options

I try not to mention calories or my food plan to others, unless they ask. Actually, my friends tend to notice something has changed in my appearance. I guess that 25 pounds off has made my face thinner. Then, I might say that I am losing weight.

I did ask a friend to not fuss over me with food, when we stay at her home recently on a trip. She let me eat what I wanted and didn't give me any trouble. In fact, she even put low cal dressing in the frig...just for me. She is an average weight and never needed to lose weight. This was just her being kind.

My hubbie is the one who wants to brag to everyone about how good I am doing. He has also began asking me about his own calories..."How many calories is this, Mama?" or "I'll bet that I ate about a thousand calories in that meal...right?" He has been my biggest supporter and has been making healthy changes in his eating without my pushing him at all.

Yes, I know that I am blessed. :smile: