Annoying other people!

Options

Replies

• sarah197436
    Options
    yep i mention calories to my husband and he listens but his face says it all lol
    thats why its so nice to come on here because everyone is in the same boat and are interested when you say how much weight ect you've lost ;)
  • bubbinsnik
    bubbinsnik Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    She did start talking about eating healthier and exercising so I guess I saw my window to start jabbering on about calories and whatever else. Think I may have continued longer than was expected! Haha.

Lesson learned.

Weighing stuff out annoys my other half but he's supportive for the most part - he did ask me the other day if I had enough calories left for a cookie and I said no so he broke the tiniest piece off and said "what about this bit"! :)
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options

Is anyone else finding that your friends and partners are (jokingly) getting annoyed by all the calorie talk?

:) x

I try not to mention calories or my food plan to others, unless they ask. Actually, my friends tend to notice something has changed in my appearance. I guess that 25 pounds off has made my face thinner. That's I might say that I am losing weight.

My hubbie is the one who wants to brag to everyone about how good I am doing. He has also began asking me about his own calories..."How many calories is this, Mama?" or "I'll bet that I ate about a thousand calories in that meal...right?" He has been my biggest supporter and has been making healthy changes in his eating without my pushing him at all.

Yes, I know that I am blessed. :smile:

Aha! That's where we are, too...The hubs just bragged on me at a doc's appointment today...He will now ask if I have calories enough left over for a glass of wine or other adult bevvy, and doesn't want to derail me. :heart:
  • mari213
    mari213 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Let them get annoyed!! At least you're looking out for yourself. Two weeks ago I had lunch with a friend (who is also on MFP), and I found it so refreshing that we were both on our phones looking up calories in our meals before ordering. Maybe you should have more MFP people in your life! :bigsmile:
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I went for lunch with a friend today and started to MFP what I wanted before ordering so I knew where I stood with calories and then started to explain to her that the walk I did this morning "cancelled" out my breakfast, etc.
    She rolled her eyes at me (in a friendly way) and then got my other half in on the "doesn't she talk about calories all the time" banter wagon.

Is anyone else finding that your friends and partners are (jokingly) getting annoyed by all the calorie talk?

Only the fat ones...)

:laugh: :laugh:
  • veronicamiranda3781
    Options
    From my experience I have found that people who aren't about fitness or at least eating heathy will "roll their eyes" or tell you to shut f*** up in their own minds. Or have a very boring look on their face as your explaining something. As much as I enjoy helping people a lot of people just do not want to hear it.
  • Zelinna
    Zelinna Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My husband gets annoyed when I keep asking him what is in the dinner he is making :) And I admit that can be more than a little annoying.

If I'm going out somewhere, I usually look up the menu before hand and then I can pre-log it or I can wait until after. That way I am not playing on my phone during the meal.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Even people who ask don't want to know. You can feel the room drop a degree when you say "calories". So, now, I just tell people that I crap fat and eat excellence.
  • cryswest57
    cryswest57 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Before I go out, I pre-plan it so that makes it easier for me.
  • toshi89
    toshi89 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Even people who ask don't want to know. You can feel the room drop a degree when you say "calories". So, now, I just tell people that I crap fat and eat excellence.

This is awesome!

I'm so glad my husband supports. He is truly interested, plus he's also doing it
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Nope - I don't really do much calorie talk other than something like this (to my husband) "no thank you; I don't have enough calories left for a glass of wine".
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    My relationship with food is MINE. Other people's relationship with food is theirs. Not my business and I don't really care. That being said I don't want to hear about so and so's calorie counting unless I specifically ask, which is doubtful ever going to happen. If I went out to eat with someone and it revolved around their calorie allowances I would be annoyed too.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I just don't say anything. If someone asks, "I'm checking calories" the end

This is it. There's no use in getting into a conversation about it. Most people typically will not understand, will be critical or worse yet, start to give you unsolicited advise. I keep it to myself. I'm not really interested in their opinions and input. I have my plan.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    If someone asks, they're secretly hoping you say you're taking X pill and eating whatever you want
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    If they're not interested in hearing it...just don't talk about it. You don't own anyone any explanation of your eating habits, so just order what you want, and go on with your day.

Unfortunately, not everyone in your real life is interested in hearing about your working out, eating better and weight lost....that's what we at MFP aree here for! :happy:
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I find people get irritated when I talk about exercise also! I don't discuss it a lot but for example, if I try a new dvd or extend a run, I will mention if my muscles feel sore. But I find friends just seem to brush it off and aren't interested in it, it's so frustrating! I would love to have a friend who I could talk to about progress, goals, etc.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I went for lunch with a friend today and started to MFP what I wanted before ordering so I knew where I stood with calories and then started to explain to her that the walk I did this morning "cancelled" out my breakfast, etc.
    She rolled her eyes at me (in a friendly way) and then got my other half in on the "doesn't she talk about calories all the time" banter wagon.

Yes, that's why we come on mfp
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Meh, I just keep it to myself because no one else appreciates the gold mine I found.
  • peckish_pomegranate
    Options
    The only people I talk to about calorie content are other dieters. I know I sure hate people mentioning calories when I'm about to stuff a cupcake in my mouth.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I love talking about counting calories when I'm out with the guys.