I still think i'm fat, others say I'm thin

Options
124»

Replies

• rharris47250
    rharris47250 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna side with a lot of people here - weight and body composition are two totally different things. When I was out of shape, I was 180 pounds and chubby (about 5 years ago). Now i'm 187 pounds and fairly lean. Lift heavy and eat clean!!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I think a problem a lot of women have is that the fleshier parts of the body, like the thighs and tummy, are the absolute last places to lose weight. Meanwhile the parts people see everyday, like the face, can end up looking too thin while you're trying to get rid of the weight in those other places. So my advice would be to focus on toning those problem areas rather than cutting calories, and also accept the fact that a flat stomach with a 6-pack is probably unattainable.

Wait what? Why does having a flat stomach with a 6 pack have to be unattainable? Too many people sell themselves short. Yes it's important to go about reaching your goals in a healthy way, but why can't she have a flat stomach or 6 pack if she wants?

My advice is always to focus on how you feel. If you start feeling tired, run down, hair falling out, less strength, then you're probably not eating enough. Otherwise you're probably okay. Eat to fuel your body, and exercise because you love your body enough to take care of it, not because you hate it and you're trying to change it.

And it might be helpful to have your body fat percentage tested. Weight isn't as reliable an indicator of whether you have more to lose. Women shouldn't go below 14 percent. Up to 24 percent is still considered quite healthy.

I mean it's really hard for most women to have a 6-pack without looking emaciated everywhere else. I know I'd have to starve myself to get one.

I see a lot of very healthy looking women on this site, and the ones with six packs do not look emaciated. I haven't seen any women on here, actually, with true six packs that don't look strong and healthy. Its not about starvation, its about strength.
  • samcat2000
    samcat2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and have hovered at 138-145 pretty much since high school (not counting weight during pregnancy) until being sidelined with injuries over the past 18 months. I recently joined MFP when I hit 158...which is what I weighed the day I quit breastfeeding 12 years ago (hit 184 lbs day before baby arrived). Never dieted or counted calories in my life until now, I love good food, and have just always been very active in sports, running, etc. At 158 lbs., and feeling very flabby., I decided that I didn't want to turn 40 and feel so out out of shape. Also, 158 is much harder on my bum knee.

I agree with the other folks on here, try to get a baseline on your body fat as well as your measurements. Also, what is your body type? Small, medium, large frame? Are you naturally muscular? I am not (and was always in awe of a couple of girlfriends who could put on muscle in a pinch). For me 148 lbs. is hardly skinny. Maybe 148 would be skinny for me if I was big boned/larger frame or was lucky and had some muscle mass without working my butt off for it. I have athletic friends who are taller than me, in amazing shape - i.e. 6-packs - and weigh in the mid-130s. And no, they do not have eating disorders. For me personally, dipping below 135-137 would be too skinny for my body type.

Finally, I take issue with certain people's remarks "you're too skinny or you're this or that or you should weigh this or that because you're tall." Really it's none of their business and they can't possibly know what weight is good for my body. Once we did the "biggest-loser" at my office and one co-worker was a big Weight Watchers follower. She told me over and over that I needed to weigh 153 lbs for my height. Another co-worker who was very large couldn't tell me often enough that I was too skinny because she could see that I had collar bones. And no they were not protruding...Her husband thought that women whose collar bones showed at all were gross. Are you kidding me? I hope you have a couple of friends or family members whose opinions you can trust and you can block out all the other stupid comments. Even with trusted friends/family, it may be best for you to rely on a personal trainer, nutritionist or doctor to help you get those baseline numbers and determine whether your weight is healthy for your body.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    hey, so my whole issue is that i used to way 2010... currently i am 148 and I am 5'10. I know on paper is says that I am average weight. But when i look at myself in the mirior I still think that I am over weight. And i keep pushing myselg to lose more. I''m worried that this might turn into some mental eating disorder. :( what are ways that i can pervent that? any tips?

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb3/metal_energy/Band Stuff/th_imsofatpauseforcomplime_zps0fa388dc.jpg?t=1360828680
  • gabriela182
    Options
    hey, so my whole issue is that i used to way 2010... currently i am 148 and I am 5'10. I know on paper is says that I am average weight. But when i look at myself in the mirior I still think that I am over weight. And i keep pushing myselg to lose more. I''m worried that this might turn into some mental eating disorder. :( what are ways that i can pervent that? any tips?

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb3/metal_energy/Band Stuff/th_imsofatpauseforcomplime_zps0fa388dc.jpg?t=1360828680

well thats actually very rude.
  • MelissaOnPurpose
    MelissaOnPurpose Posts: 111 Member
    Options

Hey girl. I didn't read through this whole post but wanna recommend a book to you. It's called "A Course in Weight Loss" by Marianne Williamson. It is a GREAT book and has helped me look differently at things...Granted, I'm done reading it yet (have to take it in bits and pieces; it's intense) but highly recommend it already. Good luck with everything!
  • violinkeri
    Options
    Also, you may have swayback. I have it---it's a genetic predisposition that causes your lower spine to curve in, which makes your butt and stomach appear to stick out more. ANd also remember that fat distribution has so much to do with genetics! 175 lbs on two different woman, who are the same age and follow the same workout and diet routine can look very different!

Thank you! for giving me a name for something that I've always just called 'like scoliosis, except in instead of side to side'...i can lie flat on my back and put my arms underneath without arching. You are absolutely right, This makes my gut stick out incredibly. but my butt is pretty flat so this gives me a butt, i guess i cant complain too much.