Does making friends and the "encouragement" really work?

Options

Replies

• Schellsisbacktoattack
    Options
    It totally depends on the type of person you are. I love it! I works very well for me. I also use the phone app on my blackberry, so I can log in all my food throughout the day and then at night I come on and chat! You can totally add me if you want!! :flowerforyou:
  • jojohnson090
    Options
    for me it totally does. when i log on and see so and so burned so many calories and then a few minutes later someone else popped up with some other workout and i didn't feel like working out before that i think, "hey! i want to work out too!" and i always end up going to the gym.
    seeing others work hard, makes me want to work hard :)
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I think it can in some ways. It makes me want to work out more seeing everyone else do it and even eat a bit better from looking at others diaries. I'm new to making friends on here so i do find it a bit odd when people keep telling me good job on certain things but then again i think it does make me want to do even better.

anyone can add me too
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Yesssss. I like to add people that seem to know what their doing... It helps guild me and they let me know if i'm doing something wrong, or if im doing something right and so on.... It is very incouraging and makes MFP fun actually.... I'm on here and talk to people way more than on FB, lol. I love my MFP friends!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yes. My MFPeeps are the friggen best! They support me on all levels of health and I'm there for them, too.
  • lizm2805
    lizm2805 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! When i first started using this app I wasnt very accountable. now having friends they keep me on track and help motivate me. It also helps when im having a bad day knowing im not the only one. Love this app!
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!! Look at my ticker! I could not have done this alone! Add me if you'd like!
  • lynnsmilin
    lynnsmilin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes. It does help!! I know for me I can always use encouragement. And friends help. Feel free to add me if u like. I will be more than happy to help :)
  • Fat_Jimi
    Options
    Definatly, i'm expreianced at this (yea I failed last time) and I have to say a big thing for me was encouragment from friends and family, I also found having a friend to exersize with worked because I was less likley to skip a day becasue I would be letting some one down.

I'm in the process of looking for an exersize frined now for that very reason

Also if any one wants to add me as a MFP friend feel free
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Having friends gives you the "I can do it" factor. You definitely click with some & not others like in the real world. There is great sharing & encouragement. We all can use encouragement.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Some people really benefit from it....me included. I keep my diary public so everyone can see what I eat and that keeps me accountable. The more friends, the more accountability. Keeps me pretty honest. :)

And I have met some pretty awesome ladies on here....and we all have ONE thing in common. ;)
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It has definately helped me, I like that I can't hide from anything with my diary open which keeps me motivated to keep eating properly!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I didn't really expect to use the forums at all. But found myself on them quite a lot.

Reading posts has introduced me to new info and approches I wouldn't have considered before (BTW, always to a little research before accept new info/approaches)

I have also found that I AM very opinionated and even if nobody has read my posts or responses just going through the writing process has helped me distill and focus my approach. When you have a clearer understanding of what you want to do and why it's easier to do.

I always about the 100th person to respond because I'm long-winded and over think things.
    I'm not great at the day-to-day cheerleading, I'm not even great at noticing when someone has posted encouragement on my wall.

But I'm more prone to large "brain dumps" on a subject.
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It has helped me a lot. Before I added friends, I didn't do too well. I wasn't holding myself accountable, and I wasn't trying very hard. They gave me the extra oomph that I needed. And when I fall, they are there to pick mu up and help me dust myself off.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Some people really benefit from it....me included. I keep my diary public so everyone can see what I eat and that keeps me accountable. The more friends, the more accountability. Keeps me pretty honest. :)

And I have met some pretty awesome ladies on here....and we all have ONE thing in common. ;)

Another new pic! You're looking fabulous!

My friends kick *kitten* every day, and while it may not be a *direct* encouragement, I get excited about trying new things because of what my friends do. When they post they've gotten a new PR or started a new training thing, it gets me excited to maybe one day be awesome like they are.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Yes. My MFPeeps have been a HUGE part of my success. I honestly think about them while I'm on a long run and anticipating the virtual high fives... I love talking about fitness and my RL friends only want to hear so much about it haha.
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Its worth a shot. most things were said, but I also find it gives me a reason to just come to the site and check things out. Which in itself is a help.

Add me also if you like.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Yes. My MFPeeps have been a HUGE part of my success. I honestly think about them while I'm on a long run and anticipating the virtual high fives... I love talking about fitness and my RL friends only want to hear so much about it haha.

Lol I thought I was the only one that did this.

Sometimes I'll picture them kicking my *kitten* if I stop running before the finish line
  • Cullinanmarti
    Cullinanmarti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it nice to see other people doing "the work" to get healthy...and some of my friends are just plain funny. For example,it funny to hear that other people yell at the tv during their work outs too!
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    the accountability has been a great help to me