Does making friends and the "encouragement" really work?

Options

Replies

• wannatangle
    wannatangle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You are a great friend!! I think that having friends here makes me accountable to actually fill out that diary and go to the gym. It is embarrassing to go too far over on my calories too often (although everyone has good and bad days). I appreciate encouragement from my friends! In some ways this has replaced some of my time on facebook where I have friends I actually know IRL :)
  • bobbie1965
    bobbie1965 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    IAM NEW HERE TOO.. so far done a 5 day food tracker & 30 walks on my tread mill...how offten should i track my weight?
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hell Yes!

you will find some work and some don't we are all pretty much here to gain some mutual support whilst we achieve our personal goals

add me if you want or don't - I do not mind.......

the journey starts and for me will always have a goal in sight !
  • bobbie1965
    bobbie1965 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah...almost forgot ;) ..I m interested in tring the buddy system too! Friend me;)..
    B obbie
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your personality and what motivated you. Seeing my friends log on and put work in helps me get to the gym. Being accountable for what I eat helps too.
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yep!!!!!
  • sangelic
    sangelic Posts: 207
    Options
    Absolutely! I know I never would've gotten this far without them :flowerforyou:
  • runningbs
    runningbs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I really think it does work :-) Feel free to send a friend request !
  • tgdillon
    Options
    I have the best group of friends and they really keep me motivated. What I don't like is when reading some of the general blogs, there is some negativity. So when I see that I just block them.
  • macaya5
    Options
    yup, the buddy system certainly works! me, I really need to see other people's progress and positive attitudes. it's a boost to get support for both good and bad days, achievements and setbacks.
  • Jim_1960
    Jim_1960 Posts: 399
    Options
    Trust me, it works!!!
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    yes. especially once you gain "accountability partener(s)" those REALLY make the differece, also, seeing new "success stories" every day is encouraging. and the fact that you can proudly post a new workout, an nsv, a weight loss, etc. and have your friends cheer you on is pretty cool. cant do that on any other site without being labeled.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I would say YES! YES IT DOES HELP! My friends keep me accountable. I'm totally honest and I know if I start not being honest, I will fall back into the old habits that made me gain weight in the first place. That "Yea!"" Way to go! You are awesome!" - really makes it easier to stick with a plan.
    I wish mfp friends lives nearby so we could do stuff together! My real friends and family are so lazy.
    And having friends with the same goals to bounce off ideas helps also
  • KrissyKris10
    KrissyKris10 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i might also add that it makes it fun. when something is fun, you are more likely to stick with it.
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I like the friends I have made because they help encourage me along the way. I can read about their struggles and push myself knowing they are in the same boat as me. My friends are usually people like me...either over 40 or have over 50 lbs to lose. It is really motivating!
  • MiggyAZ
    MiggyAZ Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi, newbie here. How do I add friends, to see posts etc? I think we all need support and encouragement! :)
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    it works for me and the support has helped me lose 14 pounds thus far
  • shannypoo21
    shannypoo21 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    It certainly helps me! I look forward to logging on here everyday to see what my pals are doing and to help encourage them. And the return the love just the same.
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Yes! I recall a time I almost quit because my weight was yo-yo-ing for a couple weeks and my MFPals talked me out of quitting and now I'm down 55 lbs!
  • mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    YES!!! Makes a huge difference! I truly LOVE my pals on here! They're my friends, supporters, cheerleaders and angels!!! It is so important :-) xoxo