Phentermine (Adipex vs generic)

Hi everyone,

My doctor recently put me on phentermine which is a weight loss pill that suppresses your appetite and gives you energy (I haven't started taking them, yet). Anyone on these pills? If so, has anyone found the name brand (Adipex) to be better than the generic pills?

Thanks!
Tori

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Generic should be the same.

I took Phentermine (the generic) for fatigue a couple of years ago. I have chronic fatigue syndrome and they were trying to make it so I could still work. It was pretty awful. I had more energy, sort of-- but it wasn't good energy. I felt totally compulsive. I would just clean and sort things and do any mindless task because I couldn't sit still. At night I would want to sit on the couch and watch tv but I couldn't. I was so tired all the time but couldn't get any rest.

Then there was the appetite part. It was like it turned off the part of my brain that dealt with food, so not only was I not hungry but I couldn't enjoy food at all. I had to choke down everything I ate. I drank a ton of Sonic cream slushes because it was the only thing I could get down.

I think I did lose weight but it wasn't enough to make it worth it. I did it for a month and then asked to be tapered off.

Watch carefully for side effects and make sure your doctor is monitoring you. It's basically an amphetamine so you'll have similar side effects-- some of them are pretty scary. Good luck!
  • Valerie_Malone
    Valerie_Malone Posts: 59 Member
    I was put on Adipex, I only took it for a month, for weight loss and always being tired. I wasn't tired anymore and I lost 10 lbs. in a month without dieting. I didn't have an appitie at all and I always running around doing something. It was like being on crack (not really sure cause I never did it), I had so much energy I could've ran a marathon every day. I stopped taking it, I didn't want to become addicted to it and I don't really like taking any kind of drugs, not even for pain. I also didn't want to depend on it for weight loss, it was just for a jumpstart for my weighloss journey.
  • It's pretty much just legal crack in pill form
  • toriro
    toriro Posts: 35 Member
    Thanks for the detailed response. This really helps, everyone! I didn't realize that it would have those type of effects. That makes me nervous to start the pills (I got my prescription from Walmart yesterday). Hopefully, I don't have too many side effects and it actually helps me. If not, I'll just get off of them and start using something else like Green Tea pills - do those work? I'm going to start a topic about that. Thanks again!
  • bethierose
    bethierose Posts: 66 Member
    I have been on the generic Phentermine for just at a month now and have lost 18 pounds. The first two days, I felt nothing as the nurse practioner instructed me to take 1/2 tab the first two days.. the third day (1st day on a whole tablet), I was completely "cracked out"... I got about 2 hours of sleep that night and was talking a mile a minute the entire day. But that day, I also noticed that I had ZERO cravings for sugar, which I have been craving basically since I entered this world. A month later, and still ZERO cravings for sugar. I do have it on occasion, but on my own terms.

I think it's a great tool, but it's not a miracle drug.. I have coupled this with the South Beach Diet and that seems to be working great. :) just my two cents.
  • di1428
    di1428 Posts: 165 Member
    I have been on the generic Phentermine for just at a month now and have lost 18 pounds. The first two days, I felt nothing as the nurse practioner instructed me to take 1/2 tab the first two days.. the third day (1st day on a whole tablet), I was completely "cracked out"... I got about 2 hours of sleep that night and was talking a mile a minute the entire day. But that day, I also noticed that I had ZERO cravings for sugar, which I have been craving basically since I entered this world. A month later, and still ZERO cravings for sugar. I do have it on occasion, but on my own terms.

I think it's a great tool, but it's not a miracle drug.. I have coupled this with the South Beach Diet and that seems to be working great. :) just my two cents.

if you did the south beach diet without the pills you would of killed your sugar cravings also..
    just speaking from experience here....
    my downfall too was sweets.....
    and needed to lose weight...went to dr asked about any weight loss pills and she said
    "theres no magic pill to teach you how to live healthy and eat right" read the southbeach diet book.
    from there......i lost over 40lbs within 6 months..still working at it and yes it slowed down but
    this is my 2cents about these pills..
    before trying them :
    1-read everything you can about side effects
    2- know yes you will lose weight but at what cost
    3- and after losing weight you will either have to keep taking more of them as your body will get
    immune to them or when you stop them the weight will def come back and then some because you never learned how
    to properly eat .
    and most importantly:
    4- please read the success stories on MFP........follow people who have done it, have lost weight and how they did it.
    have yet to read any success story involving any of these pills....who lost weight and kept it off long term.

just some thoughts to think about..good luck in your journey :)
  • bethierose

if you did the south beach diet without the pills you would of killed your sugar cravings also..
    and needed to lose weight...went to dr asked about any weight loss pills and she said
    "theres no magic pill to teach you how to live healthy and eat right" read the southbeach diet book.
    from there......i lost over 40lbs within 6 months..still working at it and yes it slowed down but
    before trying them :
    3- and after losing weight you will either have to keep taking more of them as your body will get
    immune to them or when you stop them the weight will def come back and then some because you never learned how
    to properly eat .
    and most importantly:
    4- please read the success stories on MFP........follow people who have done it, have lost weight and how they did it.
    have yet to read any success story involving any of these pills....who lost weight and kept it off long term.

I had followed both South Beach and Atkins before (without Phen) and still had crazy sugar cravings. This cut them instantly. It really was a magic pill for that. I think the rest of your response was for the original poster since I covered most of that in my reply to her...

I also just want to say that if you get the Phen from a reputable source, they will do everything they can to make sure that you don't have negative side effects. My BP is still normal, heart rate is normal, my side effects have been dry mouth (oh darn, more water? sounds like a good idea!) and a few days of constipation here and there, which is easily fixed with a few psyllium husk capsules.

I also forgot to mention, after that first day on the full tablet, my sleep went back to normal. I'm not planning on being on this the rest of my life. But I think, if you use it as a tool and do your research like di1428 pointed out, it can be helpful.
  • I have been on the generic Phentermine for just at a month now and have lost 18 pounds. The first two days, I felt nothing as the nurse practioner instructed me to take 1/2 tab the first two days.. the third day (1st day on a whole tablet), I was completely "cracked out"... I got about 2 hours of sleep that night and was talking a mile a minute the entire day. But that day, I also noticed that I had ZERO cravings for sugar, which I have been craving basically since I entered this world. A month later, and still ZERO cravings for sugar. I do have it on occasion, but on my own terms.

There are a few problems with phentermine. It's a CNS stimulant (other examples of CNS stimulants include crack, crystal meth, bath salts, etc.) which are physically and mentally addictive, it can cause heart problems, and it does nothing to teach you about proper diet and exercise. It's an anorectic so once you come off of it your appetite comes right back which typically leads to the weight coming back as well. The other problem with drugs that suppress your appetite is that they can cause you to completely forget to eat if you're not careful. I was on Adderall when I was 15 and I would go three, four, sometimes five days without eating simply because I wasn't hungry and I would forget that my body still needs food. At 5'8", I got down to a sickly 98lbs (maybe even lower, I stopped weighing myself). My nails were blue, my skin was pale, my lips were cracked and pale, I had serious wrinkles on my face, and my hands were a weird speckled mixture of yellow and purple.

TL; DR: Drugs are bad.
  • bethierose

There are a few problems with phentermine. It's a CNS stimulant (other examples of CNS stimulants include crack, crystal meth, bath salts, etc.) which are physically and mentally addictive, it can cause heart problems, and it does nothing to teach you about proper diet and exercise. It's an anorectic so once you come off of it your appetite comes right back which typically leads to the weight coming back as well. The other problem with drugs that suppress your appetite is that they can cause you to completely forget to eat if you're not careful. I was on Adderall when I was 15 and I would go three, four, sometimes five days without eating simply because I wasn't hungry and I would forget that my body still needs food. At 5'8", I got down to a sickly 98lbs (maybe even lower, I stopped weighing myself). My nails were blue, my skin was pale, my lips were cracked and pale, I had serious wrinkles on my face, and my hands were a weird speckled mixture of yellow and purple.

Drugs are bad? Would you support someone with cancer to take round after round of poisonous chemotherapy? What about someone with a different treatable illness? Would you tell them that drugs are bad and not to do what it takes to treat the condition? Obesity is a disease, as well. I'm really ready for people to understand this, and the fact that everyone's journey to health is different. Like I said in my post, when monitored and used correctly, like a TOOL in the weight loss, coupled with a complete lifestyle change, in my experience, it is fine. Thousands of people have used this drug safely and effectively. I'm sorry that you had that experience with Adderall, but not ALL drugs are bad. And people that have weight loss surgery are not taking an easy way out either, for the record.

P.S. I had my follow up visit at the clinic today and my blood pressure is still perfect at 110/70, my resting heart rate has not increased, and I am proud of me. I am making even better food choices than before (this instead of that)..
  • I have been on the generic Phentermine for just at a month now and have lost 18 pounds. The first two days, I felt nothing as the nurse practioner instructed me to take 1/2 tab the first two days.. the third day (1st day on a whole tablet), I was completely "cracked out"... I got about 2 hours of sleep that night and was talking a mile a minute the entire day. But that day, I also noticed that I had ZERO cravings for sugar, which I have been craving basically since I entered this world. A month later, and still ZERO cravings for sugar. I do have it on occasion, but on my own terms.

Drugs are bad? Would you support someone with cancer to take round after round of poisonous chemotherapy? What about someone with a different treatable illness? Would you tell them that drugs are bad and not to do what it takes to treat the condition? Obesity is a disease, as well. I'm really ready for people to understand this, and the fact that everyone's journey to health is different. Like I said in my post, when monitored and used correctly, like a TOOL in the weight loss, coupled with a complete lifestyle change, in my experience, it is fine. Thousands of people have used this drug safely and effectively. I'm sorry that you had that experience with Adderall, but not ALL drugs are bad. And people that have weight loss surgery are not taking an easy way out either, for the record.

P.S. I had my follow up visit at the clinic today and my blood pressure is still perfect at 110/70, my resting heart rate has not increased, and I am proud of me. I am making even better food choices than before (this instead of that)..
    Cancer =/= obesity. Obesity is easily reversed. Just stop eating so much. Cancer needs treatment, obesity needs fewer calories. I can guarantee you could lose weight weight without phentermine if your eating and exercis is held constant. The only thing it does to help you lose weight is kill your appetite. It's like saying you need methadone to come off of heroin. Yes, a few weak people might have better odds of staying clean while taking methadone, but it certainly isn't necessary to use methadone to come off of heroin. Obesity and addiction both rely on your choices as a cure. Cancer doesn't.
  • toriro
    I'm glad that you lost weight! It's good to know that someone got some results with it! I will admit that I am very nervous to start taking them, but I spent $50 on them already so I'm inclined to just start taking them so that I won't be wasting my money. I believe that it'll help my weight loss journey in the beginning and get me going in the right direction and then I can get off of them and continue to eat better and exercise (which is what I'm already doing). My doctor also said that he doesn't plan to have me on the pills too long.

• toriro
    I agree - there is definitely no magic pill, and I don't think that by just taking Phentermine, I'll get down to my goal. Of course not. It takes hard work, but what I think my doctor is trying to do is give me a boost/a jump start to see the weight coming off and then having the confidence and strength to keep going. It is NOT easy, and while this might not sound strong or whatever, I need a boost right now. I want to get on the scale and see the numbers decreasing. I believe that will get me on the right track and get me focused, and I believe phentermine can help with that. Do I know of the side effects? Of course, but I also know of the side effects of aspirin, birth control, and even vitamins and people take that everyday including myself.

In regards to your comment about your body getting used to the pills, of course it will...just like we get used to taking aspirin for slight headaches. But, I don't agree with your statement about people who take phentermine not ever learning how to eat right. I'm already eating better and I haven't even started taking the pills. It isn't as if everyone that takes Phentermine just continues to pig out and just relies on the pills. Of course there are people that follow a strict diet and exercise like they should while taking this. So, people like that DO learn. Now, of course there are people that do the exact opposite - actually someone at Walgreens was telling me how a lot of older women will take Phentermine before the summer so that they can lose weight for bathing suits, etc. Now, do I think those people learned how to eat right? NO. But, that's not my case - I plan to make a lifestyle change altogether. Thank you for pointing that out! :)

Congratulations on your weight loss! What exactly do you like about the South Beach Diet? How much exercise do you do per week and what types while on this diet? Thanks for any help!!

before trying them :
    to properly eat .
    and most importantly:

• toriro
    That's exactly why I want to take it! - to get a jumpstart/boost on my weight loss journey. I don't plan on spending my money for this drug - I would rather pay for zumba classes or something. I also don't want to become addicted. Thanks for your story!
    I was put on Adipex, I only took it for a month, for weight loss and always being tired. I wasn't tired anymore and I lost 10 lbs. in a month without dieting. I didn't have an appitie at all and I always running around doing something. It was like being on crack (not really sure cause I never did it), I had so much energy I could've ran a marathon every day. I stopped taking it, I didn't want to become addicted to it and I don't really like taking any kind of drugs, not even for pain. I also didn't want to depend on it for weight loss, it was just for a jumpstart for my weighloss journey.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member

Cancer =/= obesity. Obesity is easily reversed. Just stop eating so much. Cancer needs treatment, obesity needs fewer calories. I can guarantee you could lose weight weight without phentermine if your eating and exercis is held constant. The only thing it does to help you lose weight is kill your appetite. It's like saying you need methadone to come off of heroin. Yes, a few weak people might have better odds of staying clean while taking methadone, but it certainly isn't necessary to use methadone to come off of heroin. Obesity and addiction both rely on your choices as a cure. Cancer doesn't.
    Obviously you have never yourself or have never witnessed anyone withdrawl from Heroin. "weak" or strong has nothing to do with it.
  • TammyS3
    TammyS3 Posts: 28 Member
    Just a little on my experience with phentermine. My Dr put prescribed it to me around a year ago. I only filled 1 month, never again. When I would take an entire pill, I would feel like I was in some sort of bubble, felt almost zombie-like. I never felt like myself. I also never slept. I would lie awake all night. So, I tried taking 1/2 pill daily, I was still awake all night. The bubble feeling wasn't as bad. I always had this really weird taste on my tongue that made food taste strange. I hope you have better success!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Thanks for the detailed response. This really helps, everyone! I didn't realize that it would have those type of effects. That makes me nervous to start the pills (I got my prescription from Walmart yesterday). Hopefully, I don't have too many side effects and it actually helps me. If not, I'll just get off of them and start using something else like Green Tea pills - do those work? I'm going to start a topic about that. Thanks again!

How about you forget the stupid pills and do it the normal way, by working hard on your diet and engaging in exercise regularly ?

Obviously you have never yourself or have never witnessed anyone withdrawl from Heroin. "weak" or strong has nothing to do with it.
    I white knuckled my withdrawal from a five year heroin addiction. Methadone is unnecessary.
  • toriro
    I never said that I wasn't going to work on my diet and exercise regularly? I probably should have made that clear, because it's almost as if everyone is replying with the assumption that I'm just going to rely on the pills to do all of the work. NOT the case. But, in regards to your suggestion, I actually am considering not taking the pills at all (I still haven't started them).

How about you forget the stupid pills and do it the normal way, by working hard on your diet and engaging in exercise regularly ?
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    A friend of mine works for a doc who wrote her a script for the pills. She was bouncing off the walls on that stuff Phenteramine/Adipex). She couldn't seem to find enough to do, clean, talk about, rearrange, etc. Soon, I got the same script from him. Now, I have a history with "speed-type" drugs, so I knew what to expect. I did not react as strongly to the side-effects as my friend did, but I am amped up and my appetite decrease slightly. Overall, I felt like crap, so I stopped taking them.

My friend, on the other hand, seemed to have increased her dosage, because she soon became impossible to hold a conversation with. She was completely distracted by every shiny object that came into view, and she couldn't sit still for one minute. I laid low for about 6 months, then saw her the other day. She must have gained 30 pounds. I didn't ask, but I'm guessing the pills either stopped working for her, or the doctor cut her off.

Whether you decide to take them or not, you need to research all aspects of this medication. Know what you put into your body. Some people find this "amped" feeling quite addictive, only to find themselves a total addict somewhere down the road.