Phentermine (Adipex vs generic)

Options

Replies

• shawnasis
    shawnasis Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm not here to tell you that the pills are good or bad for you...you're a big girl and can make a conscious decision. I just want to tell you my experience. I was on the prescribed phentermine before and got to my goal weight. They will DEFINITELY give you energy which was good for me because I suffer from fatigue and needed that boost to exercise and of course they curb your appetite. I too would sometimes forget to eat and the longer you go without eating the harder it is to eat..or drink. I got shakey on them and people definitely gave me looks like I was on something. But I didn't really care because I was accomplishing what I needed to. I have also been on the generic phentermine since then. It was a dud. If you've had real phentermine you'd notice. Also if you're going to take it do so with your Dr. knowing. So, I obviously gained weight and now I am trying to lose without the pills. They will definitely give you the start you're looking for.
  • Tash128
    Tash128 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you have already started to eat right and exercise why bother with the pills? I mean as well know and herd a millions time you didn't gain the weight over night more will you lose it over night. Sure seeing the scale go down is great but wouldn't you rather see it go down because of your hard work? Do you really want to take an unnecessary risk? I mean with all the side effects that can happen do you want to take that chance? Just keep working hard you can do this without drugs!! You are strong you can do this!!! You are beautiful and can be a healthier you without drugs!!

You know you shouldn't take them or you wouldn't be so nervous.

Keep working hard!!
  • ashurstrena
    ashurstrena Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Years ago my doctors tried every diet pill they had and came to phentermine....yes it works, but not without problems. I lost a great deal of weight...200lbs to be exact. But I started with chest pains, irragular heart beat, and at times enough to make me have to stop what im doing and try to just breath. Everyone is different, and im sure that not everyone who takes phentermine will have these issues....I did forget to say that while taking phentermine I was so aggitated....
    Make sure that you really think about the physical results ....they are alot worse on you later in life.
    I can tell you that I hated my new doctor cause he kept telling me to eat right and excercise. I felt he didnt understand my will power didnt include this regamind. But I finally come here to myfitnesspal....and the people are wonderful the support is outstanding, ...not to mention I want to lose this weight naturally...not only for health reasons, but to prove to myself I am worth the hard work and dedication to myself....
    Hope this helps, and good luck on your journey,...you can do it, your worth it.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I never said that I wasn't going to work on my diet and exercise regularly? I probably should have made that clear, because it's almost as if everyone is replying with the assumption that I'm just going to rely on the pills to do all of the work. NOT the case. But, in regards to your suggestion, I actually am considering not taking the pills at all (I still haven't started them).
    Thanks for the detailed response. This really helps, everyone! I didn't realize that it would have those type of effects. That makes me nervous to start the pills (I got my prescription from Walmart yesterday). Hopefully, I don't have too many side effects and it actually helps me. If not, I'll just get off of them and start using something else like Green Tea pills - do those work? I'm going to start a topic about that. Thanks again!

How about you forget the stupid pills and do it the normal way, by working hard on your diet and engaging in exercise regularly ?

Bah, blasphemy! Take the pills!

A friend of mine here in Aus owns one of the AAA Supplements stores (very popular and the best value for money supps stores in Aus). He got me into thermogenic pills, which sounds to be similar to what you're going to be taking. These particular pills are usually made up of a decent amount of caffeine, as well as a variety of roots, herbs, and thermogenic food-types such as green tea extract. They work rather well for appetite suppression. But for me they're best used as a motivator. I set my alarm for 7am and make sure my phone is out of reach without getting out of bed. That way I can't be lazy and hit snooze or dismiss.

My 7am alarm is to remind me to take a thermo (always have them beside my bed with a bottle of water ready). One goes down the hatch, then I get up and dismiss the alarm and get back in bed. My next alarm to get ready for work goes off at 7:30 but by then the energy has kicked in and I'm fired right up. It's more than enough energy to get me on my exercise bike for 20-30 minutes before having a shower, breakfast then heading to work.

So at the very least, give it a shot. If you don't like it you don't like it. They absolutely wont burn fat without exercise, but they'll give you the kick in the butt you need to do the exercise. I often take a second one around 3 pm at work, which by 6pm means I'm full of beans again for taekwondo.

As long as your doctor says they're okay for you to take, there's no real harm in taking them. And there's nothing wrong with taking supplements to help achieve your goal.

Hope that helps ease your mind.

Lee
    Phentermine isn't a caffeine pill. It's prescription speed.
  • MarisaDLS
    MarisaDLS Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    ToriRo, my thought is that your well-meaning physician believes that prescribing Phentermine for a short period of time, will kickstart your dietary efforts and give you positive feedback in the form of rapid weight loss so that you will continue your dietary efforts.

That being said, over 15 years ago, my best friend (a pharmacist) was on the then popular "Fen/Phen" combo which was Pondimin (generic Fenfluramine) coupled with Phentermine. She lost 50 lbs rapidly in about 6 months with no apparent effort, she just did not have any appetite whatsoever and had boundless energy.
    Many friends advised me to start taking it (my dad was a doctor at that time and always eager for me to lose weight).

I did get the pills, they were in my medicine cabinet.
    I stared at the bottles and thought, "What happens when I have to quit taking these? My appetite will be back with a vengeance, and I'll probably gain the weight back."

I never took the pills and that was one of the smartest things I did my entire life.
    That combination was found to cause permanent heart damage including pulmonary hypertension and heart valve problems.

My friend who lost 50 lbs gained it all back and luckily she has not suffered any heart damage.

Phentermine is considered a "safe" appetite suppressant and "well tolerated",
    however, phentermine has a LOT of potentially bad side effects, some more serious than others.

People can become addicted to it as well as mentioned in a previous post.

I would tell you to proceed with great caution regarding phentermine.

Read all you can about it, plenty of literature on it online.

Look it up in the PDR, "Physicians Desk Reference" which is the drug bible of medications that is updated yearly.

Only you can decide if the benefit of this medication to you outweighs its risks.
  • toriro
    toriro Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Lee,

Thanks for this - I needed this! But, I think Phentermine is way different than a herbal supplement. :)
    I never said that I wasn't going to work on my diet and exercise regularly? I probably should have made that clear, because it's almost as if everyone is replying with the assumption that I'm just going to rely on the pills to do all of the work. NOT the case. But, in regards to your suggestion, I actually am considering not taking the pills at all (I still haven't started them).
    Thanks for the detailed response. This really helps, everyone! I didn't realize that it would have those type of effects. That makes me nervous to start the pills (I got my prescription from Walmart yesterday). Hopefully, I don't have too many side effects and it actually helps me. If not, I'll just get off of them and start using something else like Green Tea pills - do those work? I'm going to start a topic about that. Thanks again!

How about you forget the stupid pills and do it the normal way, by working hard on your diet and engaging in exercise regularly ?

A friend of mine here in Aus owns one of the AAA Supplements stores (very popular and the best value for money supps stores in Aus). He got me into thermogenic pills, which sounds to be similar to what you're going to be taking. These particular pills are usually made up of a decent amount of caffeine, as well as a variety of roots, herbs, and thermogenic food-types such as green tea extract. They work rather well for appetite suppression. But for me they're best used as a motivator. I set my alarm for 7am and make sure my phone is out of reach without getting out of bed. That way I can't be lazy and hit snooze or dismiss.

My 7am alarm is to remind me to take a thermo (always have them beside my bed with a bottle of water ready). One goes down the hatch, then I get up and dismiss the alarm and get back in bed. My next alarm to get ready for work goes off at 7:30 but by then the energy has kicked in and I'm fired right up. It's more than enough energy to get me on my exercise bike for 20-30 minutes before having a shower, breakfast then heading to work.

So at the very least, give it a shot. If you don't like it you don't like it. They absolutely wont burn fat without exercise, but they'll give you the kick in the butt you need to do the exercise. I often take a second one around 3 pm at work, which by 6pm means I'm full of beans again for taekwondo.

As long as your doctor says they're okay for you to take, there's no real harm in taking them. And there's nothing wrong with taking supplements to help achieve your goal.

Lee
  • toriro
    toriro Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your honest opinions and advice!
  • candieprayz
    candieprayz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    HI there! I would like to share my experience as well.I was on Adipex 2 times in the past 4 years and recently started back on them just 4 days ago. A relative who shared the same Dr. as me was taking them and she lost 60 lbs in 3 months. She looked great! SO i got curious and discussed this drug with my Dr. He felt it was in my best interest to give them a whirl. My first time on them I was only on them for 2 months and lost 60 lbs without changing my diet and exercise I couldn't sleep, but I have always been an Insomniac. The 2nd time on them I took them for just about a week if that. Your supposed to be on them for 3 months then off 6 months then on again for 3 months, off again for 6 months until you reach you goal. The second time I just didn't stick to them. I have put the weight back on because I was on steroids for the health problems I have. In the past year I have weighed the most I have ever weighed as far as I know. I was at 258. I am on disability because of all the health problems I have. I have high blood pressure as well which I am on medication for. There is not cure for the the health issues I have. In fact my Dr. warned me that some day I will be crippled so he ordered me a wheel chair which I have only used 1 or 2 times. I have a rough time walking some days. My hips give me trouble. But just recently I have decided to fight back! Since Thanksgiving day I have lost about 19 lbs or so. We changed our eating habits in our house. No more junk. No more fast food or as little as possible when tempted. We have knowledge and apply portion control and it makes a world of difference! We use smaller plates and never go back for seconds. If I am craving something I allow myself to have just a little! I stay on track and if I have a bad day or something I make sure to pick myself back up the next day. So far since being back on them 4 days ago, I have been losing about 1-2 lbs a day. I know your not supposed to weigh yourself every day but it tend to become quite fun watching the digits on the scale go down. I am using them for a booster. I dont plan to be on them forever. I managed to get down to 238 as of last night. I would like ot get down to 200 and then after that go by 20 lb goals until I reach my ultimate goal. Being on these pills is more than just losing weight! If you take them properly under a Dr.s care they can be helpful but only if you are willing to change your lifestyle and bad habits. The only side effect I am getting a dry mouth and a clean house and energy to be able to exercise! That is not the case though for lots of people. Everyone is different and you have to do what is best for you! Get the facts and be careful! If you dont like the way they make you feel then STOP taking them! I hate taking pills just as much as anyone else does and Lord knows I have been on all kinds for the conditions I have...but I am extra dedicated this time and going about it the way I should have the 1st and 2nd time around. I plan on documenting my experience and results on youtube. Look up some video's on youtube regarding Phentermine. There are a ton of testimonies on there. Good and Bad. I wish you luck and all the best!
  • candicole007
    candicole007 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Speed is bad for your heart. Even the legal kind. Just my 2 cents. I have arrythmia at 31 (started at 29) because of long term use of diet pills. More out, less in - that's the only thing you have to do to lose weight, you don't need drugs :)
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I took it back when it was the Phen/Fen thing. never took the one that was bad for you, just because at 4 (when I was supposed to take it) I was still bouncing from the Phentermine in the morning.

I lost weight, and I had boundless energy, but I seem to recall only beong allowed to take it a few weeks at a time?

Weight came back, slowly.
  • bewitched4011
    bewitched4011 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ToriRo,
    I am just reading your post from February and am curious if you ended up taking the Adipex and what your results/ side effects were. Truly.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Phentermine has its own site and forum. They compare the different generics and what not. I took it before and it is legal speed, wasn't worth side effects. That site is informative though. Just google "phentermine"...not sure I could post an outside link or not.
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    This sounds like an amphatamine (addictive - also known as speed) that I was prescribed for weightloss in the early 70s - they were all the rage then and thought to be harnless.

I was like the Energizer Bunny - couldn't stop, couldn't sleep, then couldn't work as I was so tired - a horrible experience and now I am 250 lbs still.
  • flannery2012
    flannery2012 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Dr. prescribed them for me too a few years ago. I tried to talk him into the generic but he wouldn't (I think he was getting a kickback :wink: ). I called them my magic pills because as long as I took it early in the day it didn't affect my sleep (like I was warned) but suddenly food had no hold over me. Honestly for the first time in my life I could take it or leave it.
    I quit them for two reasons. One the aforementioned ban on generic--Name brand Adipex was cost prohibitive for me. And two, they turned my husband into a terrible person to be around (in other words gave me such mood swings that I could no longer appreciate my wonderful husband--warped my perceptions). That kind of scared me.
    My advice is try them if you think you need them but be very aware of how they affect you and have those close to you look out for you too.
  • jovannadahling
    jovannadahling Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Lee
    Phentermine isn't a caffeine pill. It's prescription speed.

• jovannadahling
    jovannadahling Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It is not speed..it is not an amphetamine. It is a diet pill that should be taken wisely.
  • kristimason3
    kristimason3 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Biting my tongue so hard...this should be a journey to overall wellness and health, mind / body / spirit. Diet speed? Garbage. Maybe it'll work and you'll have amazing results. Maybe you'll end up with serious, possibly long term, awful side effects. Is the 50 bucks worth the risk?
  • Jaxsonjess
    Jaxsonjess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Jovannadehaling, I am on day 12 and I have lost 11 so far. I am on the highest dose and the Dr said next week if its going that fast he is going to reduce me. My BP has been great and I had a plateau about september - from losing 50 lbs without the meds...so I think it is just a water/start up phase. I am doing great! I dont have any side effects but dry mouth and prob about 3 days of trouble sleeping at the start yet and it is really helping me. I still have 50-70 lbs to lose so we will see!
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Usually this medication is to be taken in the morning to avoid sleep problems and you work your way up if you are on a large dose. You also don't usually take is more than a few weeks, it's a short term medication. But your doctor will tell you about that. You also risk withdrawal symptoms if you just stop completely. With any medication you do risk side effects. This drug is a stimulant to you can crash if you don't work your way down after the few weeks.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    pukekolive wrote: »
    This sounds like an amphatamine (addictive - also known as speed) that I was prescribed for weightloss in the early 70s - they were all the rage then and thought to be harnless.

I was like the Energizer Bunny - couldn't stop, couldn't sleep, then couldn't work as I was so tired - a horrible experience and now I am 250 lbs still.

It is similar to amphetamine, derived from the class phenethylamine.