Diet Coke?

Options
I used to drink a can of diet coke a day. Now I've cut back to a couple a week. Any else a diet coke drinker? Is it really that bad? I am told that the new studies coming out are saying that it can cause weight gain and cancer. Any truth to this?

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    yes, diet coke is horrible...

at least drink Coke Zero if you're going to stay in the Coca Cola family.

wth is wrong with you people?
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    ???

I try to only drink diet coke when I am out maybe having dinner. Have probably 2 to 3 cans a week.
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Sorry - meant to add that when I drank it daily (like 2 to 5 cans a day) I craved bad food like sweets or salts. Also became very dehydrated.
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    i drink diet coke ALL THE TIME.

I've been losing just fine. I know it's terrible for you. but i don't care. I quit smoking cigarettes so let me have my damn diet coke.
  • dstromley1
    Options
    aspartame is the sweetner in all diet soda, Its terrible for you, causes cancer and it actualy causes a insulin spike so you might as well as had the regular and not kill yourself.
  • bluemoon551
    bluemoon551 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    aspartame is the sweetner in all diet soda, Its terrible for you, causes cancer and it actualy causes a insulin spike so you might as well as had the regular and not kill yourself.
    There is no evidence of that at all, despite aspartame being one of the most studied food additives ever. Those long, fake lists of the dangers of diet soda get passed around in chain emails.

And the correlation between diet soda and weight gain exists only because overweight people are more likely to drink diet soda. Correlation =/= causation.
  • _noob_
    Options
    ???

I try to only drink diet coke when I am out maybe having dinner. Have probably 2 to 3 cans a week.
    I, as a diet soda drinker, was taking a shot at those who choose diet coke.
  • alednnz
    Options
    i drink diet coke ALL THE TIME.

I've been losing just fine. I know it's terrible for you. but i don't care. I quit smoking cigarettes so let me have my damn diet coke.

i couldn't agree more with u
  • joey2012cs
    Options
    Asking "with is wrong with you people" isn't very sensitive, empathetic, or constructive in regard to the question. Instead of confronting the issue of drinking diet sodas, an impersonal debate, you have made it personal by attacking the individual's character.

I think the response of the community is: thanks but no thanks?
  • _noob_
    Options
    Asking "with is wrong with you people" isn't very sensitive, empathetic, or constructive in regard to the question. Instead of confronting the issue of drinking diet sodas, an impersonal debate, you have made it personal by attacking the individual's character.

I think the response of the community is: thanks but no thanks?

Not understanding basic sarcasm is hazardous to your health.
  • LoonyLovegood8
    Options
    All I used to drink was Diet Coke! Still wish I could drink it now but my dentist told me to stop because it is damaging my teeth. I can't drink it anymore without it hurting my teeth. Safe to say I was addicted to it, but I'm fine without it now. Glass of water suits me fine :).
  • Sexyf28
    Sexyf28 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I drink caffeine free diet coke. I limit myself to one a day - less if possible. It was the only pop allowed on Dr. Bernstein which is crazy strict and monitored by doctors and nurses all the time so I think we'll all still live. :)
  • Elizabeth226
    Options
    I'm pretty sure coke zero is sweetened with sucralose instead of aspartame. I think it tastes better and it might possibly not be as bad for you. I think its much better to keep a healthy weight and be drinking diet soda occasionally than to be overweight. Try to find the most "natural" diet soda you can find. Hansen's has some good ones with less chemicals than coke or pepsi.
  • _noob_
    Options
    I'm pretty sure coke zero is sweetened with sucralose instead of aspartame. I think it tastees better and it might possibly not be as bad for you. I think its much better to keep a healthy weight and be drinking diet soda occasionally than to be overweight. Try to find the most "natural" diet soda you can find. Hansen's has some good ones with less chemicals than coke or pepsi.

There is a diet coke with splenda, but Coke Zero has aspartame and acesulfame potassium.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Yes, Diet Coke is the nectar from the gods. Enjoy. I know I will.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I can't have fake sugar (headache inducer) but I will tell you that after trying various homemade sodas I'm so off the Coke wagon. I just had Maine Root lemon lime over the weekend and it's easily the best lemon lime soda I've ever had. I'm a huge fan of the Mexican coke (glass bottle) but I have it very rarely. I say make soda an occasional treat and try the ones without corn syrup.

All depends on what you believe in. I believe in quality.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Here's the link for Maine Root. It's the best soda ever besides Boylan brand. Yum.

http://maineroot.com/
  • Scott2ndGradeTeacher
    Options
    The correct answer for diet sodas is, of course, Pepsi Max.
  • skiersteve12345
    skiersteve12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    who really cares ? just limit it too 1 can a day, if your worrying over 1 can of diet coke then you have a eating disorder lol
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke - yuck! Why does that stuff make me thirsty? It feels like drinking cotton balls.