Cost effective running shoes?

Options
Anyone have any tips on where to find good deals for running shoes? My first pair was a clearout pair at my LRS where my gait was evaluated and I was told I am neutral to slight under pronation. I got my Adistar Adirides in September and am definitely ready for a new pair, but the cheapest pair my LRS has right now for my gait is 80. I realize as far as good running shoes go that's not terrible, but we just found out that baby #2 will arrive sometime in October so we're kind of going into miser mode. I don't want to stop running and I know I need good shoes anyway but particularly while pregnant, but if I can find a way to get a pair for say, 40-50 like my first pair that would be much much easier to budget in.

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I would say go ahead and get the shoes that you know are good for you. $80 is very reasonable. BUT if you really have to go cheaper, I do to a shoe warehouse (like Super Shoes or Shoe Carnival) and get my Adidas for around $40-50. Kohls' also carries Adidas I like and you can usually hit a good sale. But I really would suggest going ahead and forking out the money for shoes you know work for you.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    If you know your size, can you find the same shoe cheaper online?
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I say do it!! You are worth it!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I'd rather cut back on other stuff and keep my feet happy, but if you have to look for a good deal.. maybe get fitted at the LRS for another pair, then find them cheaper online if possible.

I bought my first pair of NB's at my LRS, then ordered others online
  • marthajo1
    marthajo1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love Asics! I found some in the $50 price range on Amazon.com just a couple of months ago.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Amazon has some really nice K-Swiss ones.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I found some Asic Gels for pretty cheap (for running shoes) at Academy's sports store. I think they were like 45 bucks and they are super comfortable-- I didn't need to break them in at all, which I have had to do with almost every pair of running shoes I have ever owned. Check on Amazon too, sometimes you can find good deals. If you're worried about fit, you can always take note of the shoes you're looking at online, go to a store that carries them, and try them on before you buy them online.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    walmart - starter pro brand - $12. work good.

if you want "fancier" - try "Joe's New Balance Outlet" online - I got a nice $20 pair there (like these: http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/detail.asp?style=M700XOS)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you're running, you need good shoes...your fee, ankles, and knees will be great-full to you.
  • jha1223
    jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Try my dad's method. You already have a pair that you liked, correct? Are they last years model? Probably. Are those models still carried online? I bet they are. When he finds a pair he likes at the high end store, he buys them the first time, waits for the next models to come out and cleans up on the old ones online. You do have to spend a little to buy two or three pairs, but you won't have to buy them again for a year or two. He is as frugal as they come :)

Example:

New Balance 890v3 on Amazon is 109+. New Balance 890v2 (last years model) is mostly 79 or less depending on color.

Good luck!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Wow, that was a lot of responses quickly! Forgive me for not responding to everyone, I figured this wouldn't generate quite so many responses for some reason.

I do know I need proper running shoes. I've already been fitted for running shoes and know I need a size 7 neutral shoe. My adistar rides were great, but are worn out now. When I went in they initially fitted me for Asics but I balked a bit at spending the money because they felt pretty much the same as my neutral KSwiss, so they grabbed like adistars out of the back which were a model they no longer carried from the previous year and they worked great. I don't see those online and am not sure what a similar shoe would be, so I was just hoping someone had a website or something that had cheaper shoes, like closeout models etc. I'm not looking to grab something cheap in quality, just like, last year's model or something. I hope that makes sense, my brain is in a million places :)
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i would avoid kohls. even tho they have nike brand or whatever its usualy a bottom of the line model.

id go to a famous brand shoes or dsw type place. you can get a decent shoe for 50. I prefer Rykas- made by women for women
  • jsb76
    jsb76 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you like New Balance, I've gotten some amazing running shoes cheap online here:
    http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/
  • Denise1224
    Denise1224 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It's hit or miss but I like stores like Ross, TJ Maxx or Marshalls ... I've found Nike running shoes for around $30 at those outlet type stores.. also in my area we have a Nike outlet you might could find some deals out there - but I agree get good shoes to save your joints... just don't automatically go to the most expensive store... sometimes there are alternatives available out there good luck!
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Try academy, eastbay clearance and 6pm.com. Ebay is always a good resource too. I just bought my husband a new pair of Noose Asics for $70 that are still $150 in stores.
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    This is one of those things that I believe you can't skimp on. I spent years running New Balance from the store and ended up messing my feet up. It wasn't until I went and got fitted that I realized I was wearing completely the wrong size and shoe. Now I'm in Inov-8's and LOVE them. They've around $100 but since they don't use a traditional sole they don't have to be replaced as often as other shoes.

The best thing to do is go to a local running event expo. If there are any big runs in your area chances are they'll have an expo the day before. Talk to the people that run and ask what they're wearing. Don't pay too much attention to the people selling the shoes, unless you find a small mom and pop stand where the people are actually runners.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    walmart - starter pro brand - $12. work good.

if you want "fancier" - try "Joe's New Balance Outlet" online - I got a nice $20 pair there (like these: http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/detail.asp?style=M700XOS)

No
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I've been really fond of the sketchers Go Runs. They're not quite as good as you'll get for a shoe at Road Runner or the like, but for the money, they're a very good running shoe.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    look on amazon

i bought my first pair of brooks glycerine 9s at a running store (paid $140 for them). bought the exact same sneaker on amazon for $45.

i used to run in new balance and i liked them until i tried on brooks and well i'm on my second pair of those and probably won't go back to new balance.
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If you have a Fitness Store you can find plenty of shoes at that price. We have a Sports store here called Academy where I find my shoes for running and at great prices. They have tons to offer, and an online store...Academy.com