blood sugar getting low while trying to maintain 1200 cals

Since I have started cutting back calories to 1200, I have noticed on some days that my blood sugar drops to the point that I am faint and shaky. I am curious what types of low cal foods I can add to maintain a regular blood sugar level. Thanks!

Replies

• jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    you should eat more food and then your blood sugar won't get low
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    The food has to be a carbohydrate to raise the blood sugar. Are you a diabetic? I use glucose tablets for when my sugar is low. If not you may want to try crackers that can be counted out or pretzels. They are both low in calories also 1/2 a piece of fruit will do it.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Have you tried spacing out meals and snacks throughout the day?

Are you eating back exercise calories?
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    My son has type 1 diabetes and I find that a combination of complex carbs and protein is best for maintaining a steady blood sugar. For example, a whole grain english muffin with cheese or and apple and peanut butter or nuts. Also agree about spacing small meals throughout the day so you don't get a drop.

Also, consider whether 1200 is really right for you. Search for "road map" in the forums and see what you think.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Opening up your diary might help to get more specific advice.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Pack in the protein and fiber. I'm type 2 diabetic. My dietician told me to eat foods with higher hyperglycemic index that will carry the carbs longer throughout your day so you won't crash.
  • AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    1200 calories is crazy low. Try eating more! You'll feel better and still lose weight.
  • mommamellymac
    mommamellymac Posts: 205 Member
    Well, no wonder. You are eating too low of calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

^^Best thing ever.

Also, this is a thread about why eating only 1200 calories won't work

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/865024-1200-and-why-it-won-t-work
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    open your diary for review and analysis :)
  • If you're shaking that's your body screaming. Eat more! Obviously 1200 isn't quite enough for you.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    My son has type 1 diabetes and I find that a combination of complex carbs and protein is best for maintaining a steady blood sugar. For example, a whole grain english muffin with cheese or and apple and peanut butter or nuts. Also agree about spacing small meals throughout the day so you don't get a drop.

Also, consider whether 1200 is really right for you. Search for "road map" in the forums and see what you think.

^^^ This ^^^^
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    i dont understand why so many shoot for that extreme 1200 number. That is jsut a recipe for failure because almost no one is going to maintain that for any length of time before getting discouraged and quitting altogether.

shoot for something more reasonable like 1400 or 1500
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Given your diary is closed there is not enough information to discern a possible best action. My only suggestion would be to speak with your doctor
  • pplf2001
    pplf2001 Posts: 133 Member
    How about rice cakes or popcorn? Probably should try to add some protein in- raw almonds perhaps? 1,200 is my base too - though I'm about to up that to 1,300. That's before I add in my exercise though, and I eat all those back. I also don't sweat it if it go over by 100-200 calories - and I've been losing steadily.

I'm short and have a desk job, which is why my base is low... check the road map entry on the boards - my BMR was actually below 1,200 per those instructions. If yours isn't, you should probably eat more calories per day.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Since I have started cutting back calories to 1200, I have noticed on some days that my blood sugar drops to the point that I am faint and shaky. I am curious what types of low cal foods I can add to maintain a regular blood sugar level. Thanks!

you're not eating enough. do a search for a thread in this forum called "in place of a road map" - that has details of how to calculate the right amount of calories for you to lose weight at a slow and steady rate, while feeding your body properly, so you don't feel deprived and don't suffer from problems like you describe. And yes it works, lots of people here lost weight that way and kept it off long term. I lost weight using the same method, and I'm currently maintaining while not feeling deprived or finding it difficult. It's very very useful information.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    This is one of those go ask a 5th grader what to do questions.....
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member

Your body is telling you that 1200 calories a day is too low. Eat more!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Sounds like you need to eat more food, period.
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    you should eat more food and then your blood sugar won't get low

this
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Well, no wonder. You are eating too low of calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

^^Best thing ever.

Also, this is a thread about why eating only 1200 calories won't work

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/865024-1200-and-why-it-won-t-work

Speak for yourself. I lost the first 30lbs eating 1200 calories and you know what? I wasnt starving, shaky, or deprived.

Most people dont know how to eat right to begin with regardless of their calorie goal.

OP--- what are you eating daily? Do you eat fruit or carbs? You just need to learn to balance your meals properly.