How normal, thin people eat.

Options

Replies

• jakkidoodles
    Options
    great post! I have often watched my friends eat and wish that what they ate filled me up! I have read a few pieces of literature on research into message from brain to stomach and vice versa. I am starting to wonder if it is true that larger people have interrupted messages suggesting they are NOT full or thirst and hunger get confused.... I'm going to go find the research and post it.
  • BlackField2
    Options
    As a naturally thin person(in fact I originally joined to gain weight but have since decided to lose a couple of kilos before trying to gain muscle), I agree with many of these points.

After counting calories for the last few days I've found I struggle to eat enough to reach the weight loss target(I'm consistently under) and when I put down the gain a 1lb a week option, well, I couldn't even comprehend eating that much in 1 day. So, yeah, I think a big part of is it is the fact naturally skinny people just don't feel hunger for certain foods and have only 1 portion and things.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

OOOO this reminds me of that one bbc show. I loved that show what was it super size vs super skinny?
  • ldrosophila
    Options

OOOO this reminds me of that one bbc show. I loved that show what was it super size vs super skinny?

Great show if you all get a chance to watch it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lJO20K54rg
  • jakkidoodles
    Options
    Ah yes! I watched one with a guy that ate about 3 times as much I do did when I was piling on the pounds. Actually made me feel sick! Schadenfreuder! Watching programmes about people bigger than me, actually ups my self-esteem!
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    As a naturally thin person(in fact I originally joined to gain weight but have since decided to lose a couple of kilos before trying to gain muscle), I agree with many of these points.

After counting calories for the last few days I've found I struggle to eat enough to reach the weight loss target(I'm consistently under) and when I put down the gain a 1lb a week option, well, I couldn't even comprehend eating that much in 1 day. So, yeah, I think a big part of is it is the fact naturally skinny people just don't feel hunger for certain foods and have only 1 portion and things.

Before you were watching your intake did you feel like you were eating a ton? Did other people comment that they couldnt believe that you could stay skinny with the way you ate?
  • nyakosansaunt
    nyakosansaunt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Your conclusion is true--the thing is, if it were only that simple. Until it becomes that simple, then keeping track of your food intake and physical exercise is a great start to getting things under control. Don't over think it. Some people can do it easily, others can't. For those who can't, we just have to work harder. It is what it is. Everyone can't carry a tune or draw masterpieces.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Ah yes! I watched one with a guy that ate about 3 times as much I do did when I was piling on the pounds. Actually made me feel sick! Schadenfreuder! Watching programmes about people bigger than me, actually ups my self-esteem!

Me too gives me motivation to move
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I think you've made some good, valid, observations. Naturally thin people have learned (or never lost in the first place) the ability to eat instinctively and eat when they're hungry, stop eating when they're full, and just enjoy food for its own sake without attaching any morals to it ("good" food, "bad" food, etc) and so don't suffer from guilt, don't use food to soothe emotions etc....

this can be relearned though, I've been successfully maintaining my weight without tracking my food intake for a while now. I track my intake if I'm cutting or bulking, because if I don't track, I eat at around TDEE (I must be, if my weight is stable) and it takes effort to eat either less or more than TDEE. I don't attach moral values to food, although I do focus on nourishing my body well, i.e. eating good quality healthy foods for the most part, but I don't deny myself anything. If it's not that nutritious or not that healthy I'll just eat it in smaller quantities and less often. I don't have forbidden foods or forbidden food groups.

I think the best way to relearn this, is to track your nutrition, either for fat loss or maintenance, and after a while you just instinctively know how much food you need to feel satisfied but not over-full, and that there will always be more food later, or the next morning. So if while tracking food, I'd eaten my calories for the day, I'd think about what I'd have for breakfast the next day.

One of my biggest NSVs was one time I went into the corner shop, and they had mars ice cream bars, and I fancied one, but without even making an effort thought to myself "not today, I can have one any other day" - I realised I'd spent most of my life in a mindset of "must eat this forbidden food now, I'll never get another chance", due to being conditioned previously into thinking that those foods are rare treats that only come around once in a while. They're not. They always have them in the corner shop, I can buy one any time I like. So I don't *have to* eat one now. And it's the same with leftover food in restaurants. If the restaurant food comes in huge portions, I'll eat about half and take the rest of it home. While I'm doing that, I'm thinking how nice it'll be to eat the same food for lunch the next day, and how I'm getting 2 meals for the price of one. In the past I would have been thinking about how I'm "not allowed to" eat the rest of the food now, which would have made me want to eat all of it. How you think about food, and the availability of food, changes how you behave around food. I suppose it's a survival instinct... if you think you're not going to have a chance to eat a particularly desired food again for a long time (or not be allowed to), you'll want to eat all of what you have right now.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    #3 is the only one that applies to the only skinny girl I know. She eats everything. She eats double me easy. She once ate the entire menu of Taco Bell in front of me, didn't gain a pound.

I am so jealous of these kinds of people. I gain 2 pounds just by looking at chocolate, 3 if I actually eat it. :(
  • BlackField2
    Options
    Before you were watching your intake did you feel like you were eating a ton? Did other people comment that they couldnt believe that you could stay skinny with the way you ate?
    Actually, yeah people did say that. The thing is it was mainly other skinny people, they'd also comment that I was a fast eater.

But I never really thought I ate a ton, I'd eat 1 or 2 meals a day(3 if I was particularly active) but I'd eat moderate/big meals if I was to eat. I was always more concerned with the quality of the food I was/am eating honestly, too few vegetables, too much fast food.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    I think you've made some good, valid, observations. Naturally thin people have learned (or never lost in the first place) the ability to eat instinctively and eat when they're hungry, stop eating when they're full, and just enjoy food for its own sake without attaching any morals to it ("good" food, "bad" food, etc) and so don't suffer from guilt, don't use food to soothe emotions etc....

this can be relearned though, I've been successfully maintaining my weight without tracking my food intake for a while now. I track my intake if I'm cutting or bulking, because if I don't track, I eat at around TDEE (I must be, if my weight is stable) and it takes effort to eat either less or more than TDEE. I don't attach moral values to food, although I do focus on nourishing my body well, i.e. eating good quality healthy foods for the most part, but I don't deny myself anything. If it's not that nutritious or not that healthy I'll just eat it in smaller quantities and less often. I don't have forbidden foods or forbidden food groups.

I think the best way to relearn this, is to track your nutrition, either for fat loss or maintenance, and after a while you just instinctively know how much food you need to feel satisfied but not over-full, and that there will always be more food later, or the next morning. So if while tracking food, I'd eaten my calories for the day, I'd think about what I'd have for breakfast the next day.

One of my biggest NSVs was one time I went into the corner shop, and they had mars ice cream bars, and I fancied one, but without even making an effort thought to myself "not today, I can have one any other day" - I realised I'd spent most of my life in a mindset of "must eat this forbidden food now, I'll never get another chance", due to being conditioned previously into thinking that those foods are rare treats that only come around once in a while. They're not. They always have them in the corner shop, I can buy one any time I like. So I don't *have to* eat one now. And it's the same with leftover food in restaurants. If the restaurant food comes in huge portions, I'll eat about half and take the rest of it home. While I'm doing that, I'm thinking how nice it'll be to eat the same food for lunch the next day, and how I'm getting 2 meals for the price of one. In the past I would have been thinking about how I'm "not allowed to" eat the rest of the food now, which would have made me want to eat all of it. How you think about food, and the availability of food, changes how you behave around food. I suppose it's a survival instinct... if you think you're not going to have a chance to eat a particularly desired food again for a long time (or not be allowed to), you'll want to eat all of what you have right now.

God thats the best feeling when you feel like a "normal person" I had that today over a plate of brownies. Didnt want it gave it away end of story. I can have a brownie anytime.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Actually, yeah people did say that. The thing is it was mainly other skinny people, they'd also comment that I was a fast eater.

But I never really thought I ate a ton, I'd eat 1 or 2 meals a day(3 if I was particularly active) but I'd eat moderate/big meals if I was to eat. I was always more concerned with the quality of the food I was/am eating honestly, too few vegetables, too much fast food.

Always curious about how a thin person thinks when it comes to food. Define what would be a moderate/big meal today. I'll give you my definition of a large spaghetti meal at olive garden restaraunt l as an example. I no longer eat like this, but this was very typical for me 3 cups pasta, 3 cups of sauce, grated parmesan cheese, 5 medium egg size meatballs, two large salad servings, 4 breadsticks, alfredo dipping sauce, fried appetizer lasagna rolls, dessert, 4 refills on a berry drink. Would your meals be comprable to this? Sorry for all the questions but I have theories about why people are fat vs skinny.
  • BlackField2
    Options

Always curious about how a thin person thinks when it comes to food. Define what would be a moderate/big meal today. I'll give you my definition of a large spaghetti meal at olive garden restaraunt l as an example. I no longer eat like this, but this was very typical for me 3 cups pasta, 3 cups of sauce, grated parmesan cheese, 5 medium egg size meatballs, two large salad servings, 4 breadsticks, alfredo dipping sauce, fried appetizer lasagna rolls, dessert, 4 refills on a berry drink. Would your meals be comprable to this? Sorry for all the questions but I have theories about why people are fat vs skinny.
    Nowhere near that amount, I don't think I could eat that much in a day. By large I just think like a (500g)pizza brought from a supermarket.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

As a thin person, yes, I would have eaten all that. And then an hour later had ice cream when I got home.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yeahh a lot of your points make sense!

But I swear.. some of the naturally thin people I know would eat at tdee or above, from my observation!!

Theres a girl at my office who on the face of it eats loads and should be huge. But from observing her (in a non-creepy way) I've realised that actually she picks at food. She'll order the highest calorie foods or get out a bag of crisps/chocolate, but she will never finish it. And that's how she stays at a nice healthy weight.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Interesting post. My girlfriend is super lean and in great shape. She workouts daily and lifts weights. She's only 106 lbs. mostly muscle. She never counts calories and she pretty much fits what you are describing.

I am somewhat the same way too. I count calories because I just can't eat enough just by going with "I'm hungry.." I can easily eat 1500 calories a day and not notice it. That's why counting it's important to me. Lifting weight and eating less than 3k calories leads me to a DRASTIC weight loss. Go figure.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I have finally stopped logging all my food since I'm at my ideal weight (for me.) That said, I still do little counts in my head! Great observations though... eventually eating smaller portions and sticking to sensible meals happens.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options

I agree completely with everything you said, especially the last part. Three days ago, in an attempt to practice being like a normal person & stop binge eating sweets every time i bought them (because cookies/chocolate are undoubtedly my Achilles heel) I bought two packages of bite sized cookies, poured both into a small tupperware container & put them in a drawer. I told myself that I could eat a few every day if I wanted them, but that I should try to make them last. The first day I had about 3. The second day, one. And yesterday, the third day, I didn't even have any. I still have exactly half of the amount I originally purchased remaining, which is revolutionary because I've been known to finish off two packages of those types of cookies within 30 minutes of buying them.

I think what made the difference this time is that I didn't look at them as "naughty" or "cheats". I came to terms with the fact that yes, cookies are yummy, and yes, I love them & will forever love them, but they can & should be enjoyed in small portions. I can always have some now & save some for later. There's no hurry, and that also means I can enjoy the same treat multiple times instead of wolfing them down at once. This mindset really changed everything. I have not, for as long as I can remember, been able to have cookies of any kind in my presence for more than a day without eating all of them. I too, had that mentality of "must eat them all now" & I too, believe that this is something that can be learned & unlearned.

I went on a Valentine's date Wednesday night and did the same thing you did. Ate about 1/3 and took the rest to go. When I got back to my dorm I portioned the rest into two servings using my tupperware containers. yesterday i had one of the containers for lunch, and i was surprised at how satisfied i was after eating just 1/3 of a restaurant sized meal. it made me realize how truly oversized their portions really are, but it also made me happy because from now on I can really make restaurant meals last for days & like you said, get the most out of my money!