why is beer made to look so bad!!!!!

Options

Replies

• raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I won't speak to the caloric perspective of beer from from a health perspective, alcohol can be horrible.

Can I be Johnny Raincloud for a moment?

I saw this article today before I came to MFP.

Alcohol is responsible for one in thirty cancer deaths a year and just one drink a day can boost risk of dying from the disease by THIRTY-FIVE percent - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2278955/Alcohol-responsible-thirty-cancer-deaths-year-just-drink-day-boost-risk-dying-disease-THIRTY-FIVE-percent.html

Furthermore, according to the World Health Organization, 2.5 million people die annually from alcohol. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs349/en/index.html

According to the CDC, 80,000 alcohol deaths occur in the U.S. annually. http://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/alcohol-use.htm.
    That number is about 2.5 times the number of gun related deaths.

In addition, the number of fights, assaults, injuries, rapes and illnesses associated with alcohol make it even more of a threat.

Furthermore, alcohol is the primary gateway drug to harder drugs with further ruin peoples lives.

Okay, I'm now down trying to contradict the marketing propaganda from the beer commercials. :-)

I never understand the people that can't differentiate alcohol from alcohol abuse. Do you know cigarettes were once considered a "gateway" drug, and marijuana? That's leftover reefer madness, right there. Furthermore, alcohol ABUSE is responsible for every single thing you listed. You can indulge in alcohol without getting intoxicated, or incurring those health risks. The article specifically says DAILY drinkers of THREE or more drinks were responsible for the cancer risk, and that "While moderate drinking has been linked to heart benefits, 'in the broader context of all the issues and all the problems that alcohol is related to, alcohol causes 10 times as many deaths as it prevents,' Nelson said." This means that alcohol CAN be beneficial, abuse and failure to moderate intake is this "broader context"; this broader context often stems from failure to appropriately educate on alcohol or alcohol abuse (see the ever-successful D.A.R.E.). Not to mention, alcohol lowers inhibitions; it does not create the violence associated with fights, assaults, and rapes, and those horrors exist far more without alcohol present.

Your post is all the more beautiful with your American flag and eagle avatar.

Lmao, I was thinking the same thing about the avatar ;)

edit - also, they should watch the series on How Booze Built America ;)
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lzv9cce4YX1rn95k2o1_400.gif
  • BBinNC
    BBinNC Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm not giving up on beer but I am limiting it to the weekends, especially since I like hoppy IPAs and the high gravs.

Thanks MinimalistSho for this!

I think its based on the rankings of alcoholic beverages sorted by their ratio of calories from alcohol.

http://getdrunknotfat.com/
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    If you can't drink beer out of a Hi-Life can, you don't get to say you drink beer. First you need to learn to drink the Hi-Life with a smile on your face, and then you're allowed to drink microbrews and such. Seriously, people. And get a beer cozy. Onward.

If all I had to drink was Hi-Life you're right...I wouldn't say I drink beer ;)

Your lady prefers a Hi-Life man.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    The beers I love (IPA's and double IPA's) range from about 250 - 400 calories. I love them, but that's a lot. Luckily makers mark on the rocks is much lower in calories, but sometimes the only thing that will satisfy is a nice Pliny the Elder
  • FittingIn
    FittingIn Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Furthermore, alcohol is the primary gateway drug to harder drugs with further ruin peoples lives.

yeah+okay.gif

Because drinking beer makes me want to do some tar heroine.

Well, here is the article and study showing that. I'm not making it up just for entertainment purposes. :-)

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/07/05/study-the-gateway-drug-is-alcohol-not-marijuana/
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

yeah+okay.gif

Because drinking beer makes me want to do some tar heroine.

Well, here is the article and study showing that. I'm not making it up just for entertainment purposes. :-)

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/07/05/study-the-gateway-drug-is-alcohol-not-marijuana/

tumblr_m8vvusjRRB1r9ixyz.gif

There is no such thing as a 'gateway' drug. Seriously. I can't even.
  • FittingIn
    FittingIn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I won't speak to the caloric perspective of beer from from a health perspective, alcohol can be horrible.

Alcohol is responsible for one in thirty cancer deaths a year and just one drink a day can boost risk of dying from the disease by THIRTY-FIVE percent - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2278955/Alcohol-responsible-thirty-cancer-deaths-year-just-drink-day-boost-risk-dying-disease-THIRTY-FIVE-percent.html

Furthermore, according to the World Health Organization, 2.5 million people die annually from alcohol. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs349/en/index.html

According to the CDC, 80,000 alcohol deaths occur in the U.S. annually. http://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/alcohol-use.htm.

In addition, the number of fights, assaults, injuries, rapes and illnesses associated with alcohol make it even more of a threat.

Okay, I'm now down trying to contradict the marketing propaganda from the beer commercials. :-)

I never understand the people that can't differentiate alcohol from alcohol abuse. Do you know cigarettes were once considered a "gateway" drug, and marijuana? That's leftover reefer madness, right there. Furthermore, alcohol ABUSE is responsible for every single thing you listed. You can indulge in alcohol without getting intoxicated, or incurring those health risks. The article specifically says DAILY drinkers of THREE or more drinks were responsible for the cancer risk, and that "While moderate drinking has been linked to heart benefits, 'in the broader context of all the issues and all the problems that alcohol is related to, alcohol causes 10 times as many deaths as it prevents,' Nelson said." This means that alcohol CAN be beneficial, abuse and failure to moderate intake is this "broader context"; this broader context often stems from failure to appropriately educate on alcohol or alcohol abuse (see the ever-successful D.A.R.E.). Not to mention, alcohol lowers inhibitions; it does not create the violence associated with fights, assaults, and rapes, and those horrors exist far more without alcohol present.

Well, make sure you don't skip the other quote from this doctor:

'As expected, people who are higher alcohol users were at higher risk, but there was really no safe level of alcohol use,' study author Dr. David Nelson, director of the Cancer Prevention Fellowship Program at the U.S. National Cancer Institute, told HealthDay News.

While moderate drinking has been linked to heart benefits, 'in the broader context of all the issues and all the problems that alcohol is related to, alcohol causes 10 times as many deaths as it prevents,' Nelson said.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I never met a beer that I didn't like::drinker:

I have .... PBR or the Beast

my inner hillbilly loooooves PBR :-)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

'As expected, people who are higher alcohol users were at higher risk, but there was really no safe level of alcohol use,' study author Dr. David Nelson, director of the Cancer Prevention Fellowship Program at the U.S. National Cancer Institute, told HealthDay News.

While moderate drinking has been linked to heart benefits, 'in the broader context of all the issues and all the problems that alcohol is related to, alcohol causes 10 times as many deaths as it prevents,' Nelson said.

Which in context means "it's probably not a good idea since a lot of people can't control themselves, but if you can it's fine"
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    This is my new favorite thread. If you love good beer let's be friends!

I think of beer in miles and not calories. For this Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, I should run 4 miles. For this Troegs Nugget Nectar I should run 2.5 miles. For this O'Conner's Norfolk Canyon Pale Ale, I should run 2 miles.

I run for beer.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    . they have some good low carb/calorie beers now too

I refuse to believe there are good light beers out there.
    Take any good beer and add water.....
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I <3 Beer and I don't care how many calories it is. I'm making fit in my calorie limit for the day.

Same, I made it fit into my calorie intake if I go out drinking or I just work out harder the next day to burn it off if it doesn't.
    Plus, when I am drunk I dance... so I get a workout anyway ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    1249634605_cheers.jpg.gif
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Beer belly,

One beer of 375ml is about 130-140 calories
    Not a real measure when drinking beer, minimum should be 500ml, unless you're drinking girly American bottled larger, in which case surrender your man card to the next hipster see if he can make a better use of it. Tanglefoot is a man sized drink and only 234 calories per pint 5.0% AVB
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    . they have some good low carb/calorie beers now too

I refuse to believe there are good light beers out there.
    Take any good beer and add water.....

The problem with light beer is the don't even use good beer, they use crap beer and add water.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    As a priest once said..."beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.":smile:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Yes, I already discussed the second portion; the first one doesn't necessarily mean what you (or the article) were trying to construe. There is, legally, no safe level of alcohol use; you cannot operate machinery, cars, make decisions, etc., with even one drink. You personally could be sober, but "safety" wise, no go. As I searched high and low and could not find the full text of this study, I'm going to take a not-so-wild guess as to exactly what the context of that quote was.

And you seriously keep highlighting the "gateway" drug? That has been proven so many times to be nothing more than propaganda...

Are you gaslighting me?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I never met a beer that I didn't like::drinker:

I have .... PBR or the Beast

...or Natty Light/Ice Ugh.

Really, anything that has a canned version. I'm a complete beer snob and proud of it. For me it's craft/micro brews, mostly IPA's but I like to experiment with other styles too.

Try canned beers from The Alchemist (Heady Topper is easily the best IPA I've ever had and it only comes in cans), Oskar Blues, Surly, 21st Amendment, Sierra Nevada, etc and get back to me on your anti-can stance ;)
  • MerlinWilliams
    MerlinWilliams Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I like beer.

However, my former regular go-to beer, Creemore Traditional Pilsner is 200+ calories per can, and has 20g of carb.

The large carb hit makes beer a no go for me, as I'm limiting my intake of carbs.

Red wine is great, and I'm even partaking of the occasional shot of whisky.