Pregnancy weight gain.......some are gaining too much

Options

Replies

• icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options

That is my youngest son too! Between my 2 children, they have a totally balanced diet - one eats meat and starches all he can and the other eats all the fruits and veggies!

Best answer on here yet! LOL
  • cryswest57
    cryswest57 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I gained about 45 lbs. with my recent pregnancy. At my highest, I was 185 lbs., but four months post-partum, I'm down to 152 lbs. I did have a c-section and was induced for three days because of my baby's health issues. He weighed about eight lbs. A c-section leaves you with a pouch which I'm trying to lose. The rest of my waist has gone back to my pre-pregnancy look. I'd like advice just how to lose this pouch.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I would think the pregnant ladies on this site are trying to have a healthy weight gain during pregnancy hence the reason for being on this site, and want to nourish their child in the most healhful of ways. 300kcals additional especially during second and third trimester is the current recommendation.

Might also be that some of these heavy ladies had actually been heavy prepregnancy and only gained the 11-25lb recommendation for overweight or obese preprego BMI. I suspect you wouldnt really know what their actual weight gain was compared to their starting pre-pregnancy weight. I guess if you had seen me in that OB room you would have judge me "as eating for two" even though I was very conscious during my pregnancy about the weight that would be safe for me to gain and the nutrients I needed to create a healthy baby.
    You're right. I'm speculating that the weight gain happened due to pregnancy probably because most doctors don't recommend that females BMI's be too high before getting pregnant. And take solace that I'm not "judging" any of them, it's just what I observed and made an assumption on. Being in the fitness industry, being judgy of overweight/obese people would spell failure as a career since they are the ones who usually need our help.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Just an observation about your observation. :P Yes doctors recommend not getting pregnant while overweight, but that doesn't mean people listen.

I have a lot of health problems (lupus for starters) so my husband and I have been working for 2 years to get healthy enough to get pregnant. But when I told my doctor what we were doing he was really surprised. He said generally people get pregnant first, then ask the doctor what he/she thinks.

I do think your post is right on in terms of what pregnant women should strive for (not eating for two, only eating 300 more calories than normal) but I don't see this going well because you're a man. Good luck :flowerforyou:

Sometimes it just happens though... how many times have women gotten pregnant while on birth control? Personally, I didn't think I was going to get pregnant as quickly as I did... I thought I would be able to lose some weight before getting pregnant even after getting off of birth control (which I thought would also help lose wieght as my weight typically stagnants while on it)... the reason I thought this was because of my irregular cycles prior to being on birth control. This time around I know that would not be the case and I know what I need to do in the meantime.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I wish someone had told me this 11 years ago. 4 kids later I am 165lbs at 5'5".

With my 1st child I started out at 120lbs. Within in 3 months I had puked myself down to 100. By the time I could eat again I was STARVED! I ended up at 180 the day my son was born. They had to induce me because my B/P was so high and I had a stroke in my eyes during labor.

With my second child I was more aware of my weight gain and only gained 30lbs...BUT...I hadn't lot much from the first one. So I ended up at 180lbs the day she was born. Not 6 months later, Whoops! I was pregnant again. I was bound and determined not to gain too much since I had no time to lose anything from the 2nd. I only gained 19lbs but again ended up at 179lbs the day she was born. During her birth a nerve in my left leg was damaged and I lost feeling in my left leg for over a year.

I finally get sensation back in my leg and start working out. I get to around 145-150lbs (down from 178). I start feeling crappy and stop working out and start eating "comfort foods again". By the time I go to the Doctors it turns out I am 15 weeks pregnant. Cool I figure, I'll keep working out and eating well and all will be well. WRONG! 4 weeks after finding out I am pregnant my water springs a leak and I has a subcorionic hemorrhage. I am in the hospital on bed rest on and off the rest of my pregnancy. I weigh 196 the day my 4th is born. I get down to 180 by the day I go home.

I wish I knew then what I know now.
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    So I was at Kaiser today for my DD's standard checkup at 8 years old. While I was waiting in the lobby (DW was in with DD and doctor), I saw several mothers with new babies who were very overweight. I'm not talking 40lbs, but in the realm of 80lbs and higher.
    A lot of my clientele are females who are losing baby weight, but all of them are only trying to lose 25llbs-35lbs. This should be the normal amount a female should be gaining when pregnant.

To moms to be: you aren't eating for two. Your nutrition should be much better, but realistically, calories shouldn't really exceed more than 300-350 calories per day on average. It's not a free for all to eat everything. Trust that more you gain, the harder it will be to take off and if that weight doesn't come off, then chances are HIGH that you will end up that weight the majority of your life.

IDEA Fitness member

How very nice of you to appoint yourself the judge of female weight gain. Yes, sometimes moms gain more weight than they should. Sometimes dads do too. For that matter sometimes random people with no medical reason whatsoever gain weight. Does that mean all of them are doomed to carry that weight for the rest of their life? I am going to have to go with NO WAY!

I have had 8 pregnancies in the past 8 years. 2 miscarriages, 5 single births and 1 twin pregnancy. I gained 80 with my first baby. I gain on average between 40-50 with each pregnancy.I don't subscribe to the eat for 2 thing. I don't go crazy with the food. I try to make sure I up the fruits and veggies. Each time I hit a certain mark on the scale. If I weigh less at the beginning on the pregnancy, I inevitably still hit that mark. It is the way my body does pregnancy. All of my babies have been very healthy. With my twins, I gained 50 which would be closer to what the acceptable weight gain would be. I did the same type of thing with them that I did with the others. I was also so sick for the first half of the pregnancy that I didn't gain anything because it wouldn't stay down. Although I did work at eating a little more for them once food did stay down. If you add all the baby weight that I have gained from the 7 children I have, I gained over 275 pounds. Fastforward to today. I weigh less than when I started having children. Hmmm.... Imagine that? I guess not all of us (especially those who choose to work on it) aren't going to have to live with all that extra weight.

It is nice to know that as I am going to the doctor that some jerk is going to be judging the rest of my life by a single day. Thanks.:huh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    It is nice to know that as I am going to the doctor that some jerk is going to be judging the rest of my life by a single day. Thanks.:huh:
    This "jerk" is the same guy who assists many females in reducing that gain. As I iterated earlier, an observation isn't judging. If I judged overweight/obese people with a bad view, then I why would want to try to help them as a career? Working in a Wellness Center (it's a gym attached to a hospital) I am involved with people with myriad of health issues (cancer, reconstructive surgery, gastric bypass, heart patients etc.) and carrying a judgmental attitude towards bad health would mean failure.
    I did mention that I was being assumptive (since I had no information on any of their histories), but my statements aren't condoning.................some are perceiving it that way.

IDEA Fitness member
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Sometimes this excessive weight gain cannot be helped. I know several people that gained tremendous amounts during pregnancy and lost it right away after baby was born. There is no hard and fast formula for how much someone gains during a pregnancy. I was fortunate to have only gained 19 lbs for each of my two pregnancy's and the week before I delivered I lost 7= net gain 12 pounds.
    Babies were almost 9#, and 5#. My mother on the other hand gained at least 45 pounds with each of 4 pregnancies but like me lost weight the week before delivery...no explanation for genetics. Pregnant women should eat healthy and not go overboard on the food just because they are pregnant....they should also NEVER restrict calories because of an unexplained weight gain--always consult your doctor for everything.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

I've got a news flash for you. You're being judged every time you see other people. Not just fat people are judged. We make judgments about every person we see and if you say you don't, you're lying. We categorize people by age, sex, color, height, weight, whether we find them attractive, habits, clothing, etc.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I love when men nag about **** that has nothing to do with them.

had that thought myself. The level of offense I've managed to take from this whole thread though is beyond the pale. There is a serious message that somehow you are not a good person or will be a bad parent just because you either started out fat when you got pregnant or gained too much weight while pregnant.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    But...... what if I FEEL like I'm having triplets? Can I eat for 4 then? Even after the ultrasound confirms it's just the one? Because... you never know?
  • ToFatToBeSick
    Options
    Currently 7 months pregnant total weight gain 8 pounds. Although I don't think this should have come from a male (who obviously has never gone through the experience and comes across ****ish) I completely agree. I hate it when women use pregnancy as an excuse to over eat and gain a lot of weight. It's not only unhealthy for the mother but also for the child. You're wrong though. In the 3rd trimester it's recommended that a woman eats about 500 extra calories a day. The 300 range is for the 2nd trimester.
  • believe22
    believe22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    So I was at Kaiser today for my DD's standard checkup at 8 years old. While I was waiting in the lobby (DW was in with DD and doctor), I saw several mothers with new babies who were very overweight. I'm not talking 40lbs, but in the realm of 80lbs and higher.
    A lot of my clientele are females who are losing baby weight, but all of them are only trying to lose 25llbs-35lbs. This should be the normal amount a female should be gaining when pregnant.

To moms to be: you aren't eating for two. Your nutrition should be much better, but realistically, calories shouldn't really exceed more than 300-350 calories per day on average. It's not a free for all to eat everything. Trust that more you gain, the harder it will be to take off and if that weight doesn't come off, then chances are HIGH that you will end up that weight the majority of your life.

IDEA Fitness member

Cool story, bro. And how many times have you been pregnant?
  • ToFatToBeSick
    Options
    I would think the pregnant ladies on this site are trying to have a healthy weight gain during pregnancy hence the reason for being on this site, and want to nourish their child in the most healhful of ways. 300kcals additional especially during second and third trimester is the current recommendation.

Might also be that some of these heavy ladies had actually been heavy prepregnancy and only gained the 11-25lb recommendation for overweight or obese preprego BMI. I suspect you wouldnt really know what their actual weight gain was compared to their starting pre-pregnancy weight. I guess if you had seen me in that OB room you would have judge me "as eating for two" even though I was very conscious during my pregnancy about the weight that would be safe for me to gain and the nutrients I needed to create a healthy baby.
    You're right. I'm speculating that the weight gain happened due to pregnancy probably because most doctors don't recommend that females BMI's be too high before getting pregnant. And take solace that I'm not "judging" any of them, it's just what I observed and made an assumption on. Being in the fitness industry, being judgy of overweight/obese people would spell failure as a career since they are the ones who usually need our help.

IDEA Fitness member

HA your in the fitness industry and here trying to lose weight. You OBVIOUSLY picked the wrong profession.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Currently 7 months pregnant total weight gain 8 pounds. Although I don't think this should have come from a male (who obviously has never gone through the experience and comes across ****ish) I completely agree. I hate it when women use pregnancy as an excuse to over eat and gain a lot of weight. It's not only unhealthy for the mother but also for the child. You're wrong though. In the 3rd trimester it's recommended that a woman eats about 500 extra calories a day. The 300 range is for the 2nd trimester.
    Lol, I go the the reperccusions while I train females who are trying to lose it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    [/quote]This "jerk" is the same guy who assists many females in reducing that gain. As I iterated earlier, an observation isn't judging. If I judged overweight/obese people with a bad view, then I why would want to try to help them as a career? Working in a Wellness Center (it's a gym attached to a hospital) I am involved with people with myriad of health issues (cancer, reconstructive surgery, gastric bypass, heart patients etc.) and carrying a judgmental attitude towards bad health would mean failure.
    I did mention that I was being assumptive (since I had no information on any of their histories), but my statements aren't condoning.................some are perceiving it that way. [/quote]

Unless you are preforming liposuction then you aren't assisting in the reduction of weight gain. You may educate or instruct, but each person must do the work themselves. I never thought your statements to be condoning maybe condemning. As for the assumption that everyone who works in a field automatically feels empathy for their clientele, well that is just laughable.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    Options
    Interesting topic. I only gained 16 lbs with my son and 21 lbs with my daughter. I was EXTREMELY sick with both of them and my doctor actually fussed at me for not gaining enough weight. However, what I do find interesting is he never told me how many extra calories I should be eating while pregnant. In fact, we never discussed nutrition at all except he was worried I wasn't getting enough protein and to limit my fish intake. Also while in labor, the nurses told me I was a lightweight and a piece of cake ( I weighed roughly around what I way now plus about 10 lbs. while pregnant, my weight gain came AFTER going back to work and not nursing) and that laboring moms were getting heavier and heavier and 200 pounds was the norm. My point is, my doctor and I never discussed nutrition and caloric intake.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    In reference to the women saying that he's judging or talking about something that has nothing to do with him....

Going by the fact that his info includes:

IDEA Fitness member

I'm he's well-versed on the subject. Regardless of his stats, a little research would tell you the same information. A lot of women DO gain too much during pregnancy. He's just sharing info, perhaps preventing you from being on of those women who needs to lose 80+ pounds. Also, as a man who is married to a woman, it would be important to make sure his spouse was as healthy as possible for herself and the baby. You aren't eating for two. A baby isn't another adult so they don't need the same amount of food you'd need.

He's just sharing information. He didn't say you have to listen. Would you rather pay someone to help you lose the weight later or get the advice for free?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    HA your in the fitness industry and here trying to lose weight. You OBVIOUSLY picked the wrong profession.
    As you can see by my pics, I'm a body builder too. We do bulk up in the off season (that means gain weight). AD HOMINEM. Stick to the topic.

IDEA Fitness member
  • hipsgalore
    hipsgalore Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    As much as I hate to admit, dude is right. I gained 40 lbs while pregnant and my son was born in 2007. I lost 20 right off the bat, after delivery, much of it must have been fluid. But, the other 20, I am still carrying and it sucks. I ate too much mcdonald's burgers and am paying for it. Hoping to get rid of it 2013, 2014! whoopeee