Can't be bothered - does it matter?

Options

Replies

• terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You said some days you have lots of energy and others none. I would definitely start checking into what is causing that. Could be low Vit. D or sleep apnea or depression or allergies. Find out and keep up the good work
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

First off, I want to say that you've done a fantastic job and the 19lbs is a great accomplishment. I started out about six weeks ago at 340 and I completely understand where you're coming from. The day after exercise is grueling. I know a lot of people are saying push on and "you'll feel better if you go and workout," but--even though I agree that working out feels great--I want to add that for us, at our size, working out really does feel physically horrible. My husband only has about 20lbs to lose and he goes on all my walks and races in my 5ks with me and he can write emails on his phone while I feel like I'm pushing like it is an olympic tryout. If you need some rest, don't feel guilty. Most of the people saying you sound depressed or should push on probably haven't worked out with a 200lb bodysuit on. It's okay to just feel bummed about the situation.

I do hope you can get help or tests for sleep apnea; I completely hear you about the difficulties of the medical system there (I lived in France for about two years for college and, well, paperwork is not their speciality). Even in the states it took me nine months to get an endocrinologist referral. It's all just a crap process. Hang in there as much as you can! Keep doing the great things you are doing! I think cutting back to three days a week or so is a great idea (that's what I'm doing now). It gives me enough rest and makes me not dread the next workout but instead get excited for it. One tiny note, are you drinking enough water? I find if I don't make the 150oz I shoot for, I feel a bit sluggish.

I really think the only way we will beat this forever is to become active people--actual athletic people. So I guess the bottom line from me is that it does matter and you have to keep working out, but maybe you have to readjust the expectations for now. If you work out two days a week this month, then try for three days next month. If you can do twenty minutes three days a week, go to thirty minutes three days a week. You don't have to measure yourself against anyone else. Just do enough to know you're doing a smidgen more than you did the last week. The weight will keep coming off; the workouts will become easier. Sending a big hug!
  • marilyn6180
    Options
    Glad you have made the decision to improve your health. Good job!

I've been reading the posts to your question and wanted to respond myself because I have a somewhat different perspective. I have Celiac Disease so have to avoid gluten and have for 20 to 25 years. It helped quite a bit but I have qained and gained on a GF diet. Finally I decided to go Paleo because it wasn't that big a step for me. Cutting out dairy, sugar, and all grains has done wonders for my energy. I've never felt better and I now think I had other dietary issues besides gluten.
    I always suspect that other people are dealing with dietary issues that they don't realize they have. See if cutting out some off these foods would help you. I have completely eliminated cravings by cutting out sugar and diet sugars. Hope this helps.:flowerforyou:
  • marilyn6180
    Options
    What great advice! I'm so impressed with your views. You should write a book.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Was that comment directed at Natalie?

Thanks ladies for further comments.

I am on a form of Atkins, so I don't eat any sugar or artificial sweeteners, but I do have dairy (for the calcium and to make my soups palatable).

Yeah, soups! My diet consists of home made low GI vegetable soups augmented by 100g or 150g portions of meat or fish. Snacks are hard boiled eggs, raw nuts. I put a tablespoon of cream in every pint of soup which makes it palatable. If I had to give up dairy I would be deterred from eating the soup.

I try to do Atkins induction 65-30-5 ratio, but in reality I allow up to 40g carbs a day. Ideally I would like to keep to 1600 calories, but in practice that isn't enough and I end up having 1800 and even 1900. My BMR is 2230 if I do no exercise, and people say don't eat below it, but if I don't eat below it, I really do not see how I could ever lose weight.
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about talking to a trainer at the gym? They should be able to put together some exercises based on the limitations you have and your goals. They will also review it with you every six weeks or so and progress you as you improve.
  • Cdaleerdman
    Cdaleerdman Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm same age, close in size . I felt the same way. Had blood tests and my hemoglobin was off the chart low. I've been taking iron T dr request twice a day and I fell good again. It took about two weeks . I'm just now getting back on track with moving and taking the stairs at work and parking on opposite side of building from where I work. Good luck.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    It's easy to get sucked into the idea that you should be under your calories every day. Make sure you are eating enough to fuel your body.

It matters. *YOU* matter :)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I would say yes, but just some walking and fresh air is probably all you need for now. The daily exercise is going to help change your mindset. This journey is about changing your lifestyle, and many of us need to come to the conclusion that daily activity and avoiding some foods is a reality from now forward. It sounds to me like you might have reduced your daily intake too low in hope of speeding up the process. If so, that is not a great plan as it is much harder to maintain. You should be eating enough to keep your energy and moods high, and cravings low. Just don't eat the same ol crap you used too, and all will be good. At this point you really do not need to make major changes to see progress. At some point, yes, you must dial things down, but be patient and persist daily. All will be good my friend.

BTW, print this thoughtful person's post and read it every day. Such kind words. And very wise too.:heart:
  • staceycanada
    Options
    I am having those days too and I'll tell you what I am telling myself. Do it!
    After I force myself out the door I feel so much better.
    I am happier, more alert and I sleep better that night.
    The more I force myself the less I have to so yes force yourself.
  • Cdaleerdman
    Cdaleerdman Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Awesome post. It is a about little changes for me. I don't want to give up so am taking small steps that build my confidence. After years of berating myself I need confidence boosters.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Depression or sleep apnea will cause the inertia, see a doc. I started with 10 minute exercise periods when I started but I was doing something....
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    It does matter because to keep with this long term you sometimes are just going to have to do things you don't want to do and not do things you want to do.

So I think you should set yourself an exercise plan and stay with it, even if it starts with 30 minutes four days a week and works up from there. Just make yourself go whether you want to or not.

This is assuming you have seen a doctor and gotten the all clear to start exercising, which would be a very good idea given your description of your current situation.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I looked at you diary - which is mostly blank except for day where you went over by over 800...

Your calorie goal looks good to me - so I would suggest you start by consistently logging your food intake - weight loss is 90% what you put in your mouth,. If you are not tracking, you have no idea what you are consuming.

As far as exercise, I looked at your diary to see if you were not eating enough...that could explain the exhaustion, but so could very high processed carb intake - it makes me feel lazy and crave more junk. Since I have no data to look at, I guess I just have to reiterate that you should be logging your food. start with that and look for patterns.

Edit: Disregard - it says you are tracking, but on another site.
  • Laurelje
    Laurelje Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight loss thus far - you seem to have the nutrition part of weight loss down! As for the exercise part of it, what do you enjoy doing, besides laying on the couch? Do you like to dance? There are plenty of DVD's out there, and videos on youtube also. Do you like structure for your workouts...find a class near you. The accountability might be good for you. Whatever you do, don't think of it as "working out", or "exercise"...it's an activity you like doing, look forward to doing! I do get on the treadmill, but I reward myself with zumba and spin classes - those are what I love! Good luck, and keep going - you're doing great!
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    very well said.
  • never124get
    Options
    There are really some days that I do not want to! On the week I work I have to drag myself out of bed between 2:00 and 2:30 in the morning (which isn't the easiest thing...) because I have to be at work by 5:00 in the morning and work until 5:00 pm so I don't have a lot of time to do it when I get home but if I have to I have to. ( I work 7 days straight and then have 7 days off, it's nice lol) But I do it and get it done and over with and once I do I realize I have so much energy and I feel so much better. Basically I tell myself if I stay in bed I am not going to burn the calories I need to and I won't lose any weight that way. It's worked so far...and congrats on your loss already!
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I find that whenever I feel completely lethargic and I force myself to work out, I feel like a million dollars after. The lethargy is completely gone and I feel good and energized. Try mentally kicking your own butt in gear!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Was that comment directed at Natalie?

Thanks ladies for further comments.

I am on a form of Atkins, so I don't eat any sugar or artificial sweeteners, but I do have dairy (for the calcium and to make my soups palatable).

Yeah, soups! My diet consists of home made low GI vegetable soups augmented by 100g or 150g portions of meat or fish. Snacks are hard boiled eggs, raw nuts. I put a tablespoon of cream in every pint of soup which makes it palatable. If I had to give up dairy I would be deterred from eating the soup.

I try to do Atkins induction 65-30-5 ratio, but in reality I allow up to 40g carbs a day. Ideally I would like to keep to 1600 calories, but in practice that isn't enough and I end up having 1800 and even 1900. My BMR is 2230 if I do no exercise, and people say don't eat below it, but if I don't eat below it, I really do not see how I could ever lose weight.

I didn't see this post before I responded - you really should not eat below your BMR - it causes damage to your body's ability to function properly. After a while eating under, you lose muscle mass and slow your metabolism...but I have not seen a BMR so high before, so maybe calculate it again? just to be sure. And, as I said before, track your food
  • morah29
    morah29 Posts: 107
    Options
    I am not a dr ... but it sounds like you are battling depression and should seek the answers you want and need from a dr ... good luck