Working moms with multiple kids...how do you do it?

Options
124»

Replies

• Lovlilyn
    Lovlilyn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    PLEASE share your success stories with me. I want to know how other working moms keep everyone happy: The kids, husband, job, the house and yourself. For me, one of those things usually has to give and it is always my gym visit first, then my diet.

I have three kids, including a five month-old and am just plain overwhelmed. I am finding myself wanting to give up way more than I ever have before, but the idea of what I would look like if I completely gave up keeps me slightly motivated. I would love to hear your own story of success! Thanks in advance!

Hi, I am a full-time working mom to three children, ages 7-16, and go to school. I have had my best success when I worked out in the morning, 5 AM. If I leave it to the day, something would always come up to get in the way. But, I do also try to fit in a walk at lunch if all the circumstances (work schedule, weather, etc.) are favorable.

I cannot lose weight with diet alone (my body just does not do it - plus - too many temptations/deprivations to be on a diet 24/7). So, I have to work out, and on my current journey, my goal is to exercise every day - not take one day off a week. This may only be the 30 minute walk at lunch, but it counts toward the every day.

In the past, I did work out with a friend (that helps with getting into a morning schedule - I am not a morning person), and eventually when it got to dark and cold out at 5 AM, we joined a gym where we met up. It was ok, but it does eat up precious time traveling to the gym. So now I do all my workouts at home or from home (if I run/walk). I sleep in my workout clothes (hey, soft shorts, a t-shirt, and a sports bra are really comfortable!), and roll out of bed at ~5, put my socks and shoes on, and jump on the treadmill. I have weights, so I have been adding them after my aerobic workout. I have cable tv, so I go to the "on demand" section, sports and fitness, fitness workouts, and choose an 8-15 minute workout to follow.

I was not able to do the morning until my babies were older. Even then, a night waking really made me a zombie during the day. I think when they were <1, I did a lot of walking pushing a stroller. I did buy a bicycle trailer, but getting geared up with the trailer, the kids, etc., was not convenient enough to be consistent.

My house is a mess by most people's standards. Lots of clutter. DH and kids seem ok with it. It bothers me more than anyone else.

As far as food, the family eats what is prepared or goes hungry. I have a list of meals I can prepare in about 30 minutes. I have a rotating 4 week schedule with shopping lists. We eat pretty healthy (balanced), but my daughter was diagnosed with T1 diabetes last year, so we have tried to step it up and be even more healthy choices, less meals out - which would be a fall back more often.

Husband also gets ignored quite a bit :-) Last year I implemented a monthly date night. We go out on the number day (the 16th in our case) that is our anniversary date. We have it a little easier because we don't need to get a babysitter, but that's something you should give DH to do anyway. If $ is an issue, maybe you can trade off with a friend? Watch their kids 1 night a month, and they get yours 1 night a month? Or ask family?

It's definitely challenging, and I'm tired a lot. I can relate to needing to see results - it's a lot of work, and after putting in the effort required, and you don't see the results you think you should, it's very discouraging. I can only say that you really have to try to push through that and stick with it for at least 8 weeks. Once you get beyond that 2 month period - you will feel better even if you don't necessarily see the # on the scale.

Oh, and one more thing - and I'm sure you have already heard/read this, but it only gets harder the older you get! If you think you're frustrated now, you wouldn't believe how frustrating it will be in 5 years, so don't put it off. Get healthy now and maintain it - it really, really gets worse.

Feel free to add me as a friend.
    Lynne
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    im a working wife and mom of 3 boys and hubby...all of our boys are in sports and church activities...i get up at 4:30 three mornings a week and run with 2 other busy mammas....find some friends to meet you in the early AM and get it done before your day starts.
  • BandJMomma
    BandJMomma Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am also a full time working mommy and wife. My hubby works nights and I days so it is terribly hard in the evenings for me, so I pack lunch night before and leave it fridge. Breakfast is quick usually a protein shake or a fruit of some kind, I get 15-30min of excercise in on my lunch hour ( I am forturnate enough to have hour for lunch) and when the weather gets nicer, my plan will be to encompass the kiddos in with evening walk/jog. And weekends will be for family activity, weather hike, or swim, or bike ride, or walk/jog... I think if involve the family , I will stick with it and get family time! I log everything and I stay under calories most days!

PS I also have a 4.5 month old that demands a ton of attention!
  • littlecrystal
    littlecrystal Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am amazed by all answers. I am FT working mum with two boys, 5yo and 2yo, but I will be honest and say that I am fairly lazy and not very busy. I get up at 7, leave house at 8, come back at 5:30, light dinner-kids time-playtime-bath-bed until 8, a bit of housework until 9 and "me time" and TV until 10:30 when I go to sleep. My life is easy! All of a sudden I felt so lazy because I do not exercise, but every time when i start diet AND exercise I feel so overwhelmed by the changes that I never able to sustain it. I'd rather just diet for the time being. Will start exercise when I am ready.
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Happy? Who's happy? :tongue:

Oh yeah, and my house is a disaster. I work out in the evenings, 7pm or so. After homework and before bedtime stores (2 girls 4 and 9). I have to choose between cleaning or working out, it's the only thing I feel like I can let "slide". And my weekends are crazy playing catchup on laundry etc. But my girls love seeing that I am active, they are benefitting from seeing me take that time for myself.

Ya gotta let go of perfection in any area....

ETA: I have a workout room downstairs and do my DVDs down there. I would never make it to the gym or scheduled classes. FInd things where you can be in control of the schedule so you can be flexible, and take that spare 30 minutes here or there....
  • mommy1126
    mommy1126 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I work full-time, have a 12 year old son, and an almost 2 year old son, and my husband works 12 hour shifts, 3 on - 3 off, and rotates from days to nights every two weeks. I also travel some for my job. And, I am a full-time student (all my classes are online) as well. I struggled with this exact same question. Have been on here several months, would think I had a good start, but couldn't maintain it. It always came down to the same excuse, I don't have time. And, when I do have time, I actually want to see my family.
    Here is what is working for me. I log everything, and I go to the gym every day on my lunch break. It is not perfect, but it is what fits with my schedule. When me and my hubby actually have a day off at the same time now, I go to the gym for at least an hour. I make it work with our day. If we have plans in the afternoon, I go in the morning and vice versa. Oh, and I gave up feeling guilty about it. The fact is this, I have lots more energy when I fit in working out, so the little time I take away from my family, is going to give my boys a Mom that feels like running around and playing with them, and my hubby a wife that looks decent : ).
  • Bxgell2
    Options
    I'm an attorney, working full time, with 2 kids. The only way I make it work is by having a family-friendly, flexible job where I can work from home 1-2 days a week and by having an incredibly supportive husband! He agreed to handle the mornings so I can go into work uber early, at 6:30am. The benefit of that is that I get out at 3pm. I'm home by 4pm, with plenty of time to tidy up, help with homework, prepare the next day's lunches, prepare dinner and sneak in a workout for myself while the kids entertain themselves (I have a treadmill and elliptical at home). I make sure I get in at least 1-2 workouts during the week during my lunch break while I'm working from home, and if I can't squeeze them in that way, I can always workout in the gym in my building at work during lunch. On the weekends I leave the kids with hubby 2 hours each day to do my long run and strength training. There is simply NO way I would be able to do it all without the flexibility from my job, and the incredible support from my husband...
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    Full time working mom with 2 kids here as well. Hubby works part time and is a full time student. He is a big help to me and I couldn't do it without him. I have found that you have to make exercise a priority and do it when you can. I know my exercise routine isn't "optimal", but it's what I CAN do, so I don't worry about it.

Meal planning has also helped tremendously. I prepare all of our weekday dinners, breakfast at least for at least the 2 days I go to the gym early and snacks every Sunday. This saves time preparing healthy meals during the hectic work week. Saves a lot of money too because I'm able to do a lot from scratch and not buy the prepackaged convenience foods that cost more.

Also, weather permitting, take a walk during my lunch break for at least 40 minutes.

If you can't get to the gym, there are tons of good workout videos on youtube that I've done myself at times that I couldn't make it to the gym.

It is definitely challenging, but doable.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I just try every single day. I make myself go to the gym, even if I am tired. A half workout is better than none at all. I have 3 teens, so I can leave my kids and run to the gym. When the kids were younger I just had to arrange my schedule as best as I could. It's all about time management.
  • schaskes
    schaskes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    First of all, give yourself credit that you're trying, even with your full plate. I am a full-time working mom with two older kids (10 & 13), and it takes a while to figure out how to carve out the time/space for yourself. I agree with those who say PLAN! Obviously, plans have to shift sometimes, but I know before I go to bed when I can work out the next day. Some days I get up at 5:15; others I squeeze in while I'm cooking dinner in the late afternoon. I have actually lifted after dinner, but that is very rare. My husband and I meal plan every weekend and shop for the week. This saves time on weekdays. I also recommend using a crock pot or slow cooker to make easy foods that can last for several meals. What have I given up? TV, for the most part, and reading books, which I love, and definitely some sleep, but I am much healthier and happier. It's still a struggle some days, but I just try to feel good about what I _am_ accomplishing rather than dwelling on what I didn't get done. GOOD LUCK! You can do it!
  • Lmans77
    Lmans77 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom to 2..5yo and 3 yo. I work FT and have a 45min-1hr commute each day. I admit, its exhausting.

How I'm doing it...

My DH is my lifesaver. He gets home by 3 most days, and his days off are Wed/Thur (he's a police officer). He cooks almost all the meals and cleans the kitchen. On his days off he does a lot of housework. On the flip side, I do kids baths, bedtimes, homework, etc.

I usually take leftovers or an easy salad with beans and fruit. If not, I try to make a reasonable choice at lunch.

I'm still working on working out consistently. But I've been known to do YouTube workouts in front of my desk at lunch or go walk/run outside. During the summer when the weather is warm (HOT here in TX) and the days are long, I'm more apt to work out after work outside. Occasionally I do a short DVD in the evening..30 day shred for example.

I cannot, would not wake before work to work out. I have to leave at 6:30 as it is to get kids to school and me to work. Major props to those who do. But I'm constantly thinking of ways to move more..like take a 5-10 min break at work to walk the stairs. I keep a resistance band in my desk drawer and will whip it out for a few minutes of strength training.
  • Barbell_Jules
    Barbell_Jules Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I work full-time and I have 4 kids at home. Life is crazy busy most of the time. I wish I knew the secret to keeping the balance but I don't. Some weeks everything works out in my favor, I get all my workouts in and eat well every day. Other weeks, things come up and my workouts have to go on the back burner. I can't sit here and say that I don't beat myself up about it, because I do, but I'm learning that sometimes I need to let this stuff go. It isn't always in my control.

I have found that working out on my lunch hour is the best way for me to ensure I get a workout in each day. Do you have that option? I get on the treadmill at home for a walk most Saturday mornings. We also try to get the kids out of the house and do some type of active activity which we participate in most weekends. When the weather warms up, we do family walks on the weekends first thing after breakfast which gets the day started off right for the entire family. :)

I also do meal planning. I grocery shop every other week and at that time I plan out 2 weeks worth of meals. This helps cut down on any quick fast food meals because I didn't have something prepared. I also bring my food to work for those 2 weeks so that I have everything I need at work...breakfast, lunch, and snacks. Having the food here helps me make good choices with eating and I don't visit the dreaded vending machine...ever!
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom, in a serious relationship, work FT and have three children aged 6, 5 and 10 months. Its been hard. I havent been ablet o get SERIOUS about my efforts until now. What is working for me is to wake up at 5:15 and workout then. Sometimes, I walk on my breaks and then I workout (play) with the kids while dinner is cooking. I have procrastinated for months and now its just occurring to me. I have a family, a fill time job, a man, and a home. this is never going to change for the most part. Is my LIFE going to be my reason for not achieving my goals? Cant be. So 5 am it is!

Good luck!
  • emd2570
    emd2570 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    2 teenagers, work and hubby. I should have been exercising, but instead I was making myself crazy making sure house was clean, bed was made, cabinets & closets organized..etc...last August is when I had my breaking point and started MFP, prior to that I lost about 30lbs very slowly on my own, also adding in a dairy allergy that prompted a weight loss. I started working out for atleast 15 or 20 min in the a.m., which wasnt a lot of time, but better than nothing, then when I came home I did another 15 or 20 minuted, doing no less than 30 minutes a day. Since I started eating less, it didnt take me that long to digest after dinner. I would go on the treadmill(no gym for me) no later than 8:30 pm, I also use you tube for exercise videos , theres a few 10 or 15 minute cardio that I will do in the a.m. I still do what needs to be done in house, but after exercise, and I have learned that if it doesnt get done by me that day either ask someone else in the house to do it , or it will get done another day...
  • bgtorres
    bgtorres Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    The only I've been able to achieve my goals it's sacrificing my sleep. I get up Mon-Fri at 4:45 a.m. and workout, take the kids to day care and head on out to work. No interruptions and after cooking dinner I know I don't have to worry about working out anymore. Sat & Sun I workout when the kids nap (usually at noon).
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i dont work full time, and i work two (of the three) days off my husband has - i have a 5 year old, 6 year old, and am due in 6 weeks with #3..
    hubby and i usually hit the gym 3 nights a week after the kids go to bed (father in law lives with us and keeps an eye/ear out). before i got pregnant i had 3 days a week that i did weightlifting in the garage. since im the main meal planner/shopper, everyone eats what i make or they go hungry. i tend to do homemade from scratch kinda stuff, but we do eat some precessed/pre-packaged stuff too (im more of a "iifym" kinda girl)
    the plan after baby is born will be to do a 30 minute video workout in the morning before the kids get up for school, and eventually end up adding the weightlifting in again. not sure when ill get gym time in but we'll see.
  • I'm a full time working mom. 4 kids, ages 17, 4,3, 1. Wake up at 6am to do exercise DVDs for 30-40 minutes. Get kids ready for daycare 7am. Leave for work at 8am. During lunch hour walk for 20 minutes or walk office stairs from 1st floor to 11th 2-3 times a day. Come home by 7pm. Eat...sleep...repeat next day. Husband helps a lot, since he can work from home.U
  • sherimacquarrie
    sherimacquarrie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I work full time and have three kids. It has always been a struggle to find "me" time. Between hockey games, piano lessons, daycare drop offs ect.... there isnt a lot of time left in the day. I make sure I get to two Zumba classes a week. They are basicly non negotiable, I look at it as cheap therapy! LOL
    Remember: A good Mom is a happy MOM!! Best of luck!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!