workout DVDs that actually work?

Options
13»

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Where do you get Turbo Jam or the Chalean one? I would Ideally want something that pushes me. But easy on the joints. I have the mind frame if Im not sweating its not working.

I know that you have to buy Turbo Jam, haven't found it anywhere on the net hosted for free.. pretty sure you have to pay for it/sign u[.. not sure about Chalean. But all 3 parts of 30 Day Shred are on Youtube and there is also the entire dvd with 3 parts into 1 video on Youtube as well.

Check out Fitnessblender.com - TONS of different workouts for everyone, most with no equipment required and for all activity levels.
  • lisa4you143
    lisa4you143 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I SWEAR by p90x... It's hard work and takes at least an hour a day commitment but you will see results you are happy with. I used to go to the gym and by the time I would finish my cardio I would be too lazy to do weights and never get it done. With p90x it forces you to strengthen all muscle groups in addition to cardio. I did the lean version for a solid two months religiously and saw a tremendous difference (sadly I stopped and got flabby again which is why I'm back on here :cry: ) Just recently I've started back up and am on the first week and already see some of that definition coming back. I ordered turbo fire as well because they were having a sale and I was disappointed by it. It's basically high intensity cardio and the moves are too difficult and the people on it do it too quickly for someone at home to catch up with. I got through two videos before I decided i will just go back to doing p90x regularly. Also, the p90x moves are relatively easy to learn and Tony is pretty funny in them! P90X ALL THE WAY! Hahah I swear they don't pay me to say that... maybe I should become a coach for them? :tongue:
  • lisa4you143
    lisa4you143 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Turbo Jam and Chalean are on beachbody.com. It's the same website that sells p90x, turbofire, and insanity
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Here is my review of Insanity and P90X. They are great IMHO. I have young kids and they workout with me all the time. Lots of fun together.

http://www.homefitnessextreme.com/reviews/insanity-review/
    http://www.homefitnessextreme.com/reviews/p90x-review/

I don't think I would go with Insanity with her knee issues. I think the best thing would be to get with a certified trainer that has experience with your issue. Of course, I know it's not always obtainable.
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    HeavenLeAngel127 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    30 days of the jillian michael's shred. I did it 2.5 times with good eating and lost 30 lbs. My husband 35lbs. My sister in law 15.... My father in law is at 107lbs lost (though the shred didn't come in until the end. My best friend? 20 lbs.

That's right.
    It's a 27 minute workout... 5 minutes is warm up and cool down. It is circuit training and there are no rests in your 22 minutes
    of working out. It incorporates 3 to 5 lbs dumbells (however my father in law uses heavier for some of the exercises)

Also this pounds of weight loss don't even compare to the amount of inches lost. When the scale didn't move we were still dropping pant sizes.

Many of the people on here have had great success with the dvd and it only runs 5-10$. You can pick it up online or at walmart.

Search Jillian Michael's shred success and check out those threads if you have any questions.

Also building the muscle around the joints will keep make it feel better.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Leslie Sansone's "walk" DVDs!

I have Walk Away the Pounds, but had trouble keeping up (yeah, I'm that out of shape) so a friend let me borrow her Leslie Sansone Senior Walk Aerobics DVD, which is right about my speed. Though it is a little embarrassing to be huffing and puffing in front of the TV while watching those 80-year-olds get their workout on.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    You might consider Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds at Home-low impact aerobics-I've lost 73 pounds using that. It isn't intwense, but it's working for me.
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I love Leslie Sansone videos. Definitely easy on the knees. I know kids that even like her videos.
  • happy_travels
    happy_travels Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I will echo: All Leslie Sansone Dvds

I will add:

Anything by Ellen Barrett
    Turbo Jam
    3 2 1 Dance by Petra Kolber
    Jazzercise dvds
    Callanetics (although not cardio, very rehab and effective)

You can preview most work out dvds on either of these sites:

totalfitnessdvds.com
    collagevideos.com

They probably each have close to 1000 dvds for sale!
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Zumba videos are also great. The Leslie Sansone you can find on youtube and try out too and see if you like, they are just some older ones. Her newer ones are even better.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    you got lots of great suggestions! the only thing I'd add is floorwork, like just regualar on a mat stuff,
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTndgZSAuWlULGsyROxnnzUgVPwF5q67IXpWiFEtffiPfLJ6seMFg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNAEnvMb3cJ-qcH_wuNP8-eLV4xqSpgDZ6cUdSy2a_8Jz_fCoJ
    1332773127.png

and also pilates pay as you go type places because of the reforma tables keeping your weight off your knees.

AAAAAvng2RIAAAAAADC95A.jpg?v=1170995817000
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    it doesnt matter if its a dvd, magazine snippet, book, trainer.....they will only work if you do them, and to do them on a regular basis you need to enjoy doing them. so pick up one that sounds like you and go for it!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Im kind of scared to ask my Dr since the last conversation we had was I need surgery. The type of surgery is not an option at this moment in my life.

I'm assuming your talking about knee replacement surgery? Honestly, it's not as bad as it seems.. my mom just had both hers done, and they went wonderfully.

Anyway, I really think you should ask your doctor for advice on this instead of strangers on the internet. I hate for you to get injured more because you bought something that you thought would work and then it didn't.
  • mandys1979
    mandys1979 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Im kind of scared to ask my Dr since the last conversation we had was I need surgery. The type of surgery is not an option at this moment in my life.

I'm assuming your talking about knee replacement surgery? Honestly, it's not as bad as it seems.. my mom just had both hers done, and they went wonderfully.

Anyway, I really think you should ask your doctor for advice on this instead of strangers on the internet. I hate for you to get injured more because you bought something that you thought would work and then it didn't.

No Im too young for knee replacement surgery. Its bone grafting with a partial open knee. I would have to be non weight bearing for at least 3 months With a small child and my job its not an option
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Bob Ross. Easy on the knees but a killer for wrist and elbow.
  • mrsg2013
    mrsg2013 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    30 day shred and rpped in 30
  • majoki
    majoki Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    There's a FREE app called Nike Training Club. You should absolutely check it out because there are a ton of workouts on it, and you can see what each one is before you start it. This way you can pre-plan what exercises to modify for your knee.

Actually, for anyone looking for a good workout, get the Nike Training Club. I've always been amazed that it's free =) I have it on my iphone and my ipad. It's great for vacations too because you can just having it running on your phone.
  • mandys1979
    mandys1979 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    There's a FREE app called Nike Training Club. You should absolutely check it out because there are a ton of workouts on it, and you can see what each one is before you start it. This way you can pre-plan what exercises to modify for your knee.

Actually, for anyone looking for a good workout, get the Nike Training Club. I've always been amazed that it's free =) I have it on my iphone and my ipad. It's great for vacations too because you can just having it running on your phone.

Thanks I will have to look at that one.