my dog's fitness

2»

Replies

• KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    This is the type of mastiff she reminds me of! Maybe she's part bullmastiff! That's a REALLY amazing breed. They are on my top 10 list of favorites. :)

in8w9d.jpg

That does look a lot like Lexi except in her snout. She doesn't have those big jowls hanging down lol
  • Ninaad
    Ninaad Posts: 28
    Your dog should be fine on the walk. 3.5 Miles is really not that much more than 2 miles. He does not look overweight and looks like he is in good shape. Walking dogs on concrete is actually good for their nails because it naturally files them down. Unless the day is for some reason extremely hot, I would bring him along =]
  • TalonaCat
    TalonaCat Posts: 241
    Hehe, yeah. Could still be. A lot of the females of this type tend to have more 'feminine' features. Ie, less LIPS! It's the same way with great danes. Well, no matter WHAT she is.. I just want to squeeze her!! She is so adorable.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    I have a couch and bed dog. If I tried to take him on a walk with me for even 1 mile, I'd be carrying him most of the way. :laugh:

(hey... perhaps that's a good idea to boost my walking calories!!)
  • She looks like a breed that has a fairly high energy level (boxers, shepherds, etc. all have lots)...

3.5 Mi isn't too far and should be just fine for her to walk, endurance wise. I can take my lab on a 2 mi or 5mi walk and he'll come back exhausted either way but he bounces back within an hour so I know he could do even more (if I could).

As far as the ground goes, try walking her on a sidewalk for a bit- doesn't usually bother my dog (Vader), but sometimes if his nails are too long or if there's salt on the sidewalk (shouldn't be a problem this time of year), I have to be careful to walk him mostly on the grassed road allowances.
  • vonalj
    vonalj Posts: 124 Member
    I have a 13lb westie terrier/toy poodle designer pooch and she goes with me on my runs. She has no problem doing 8-13mi. She's a very hyper dog, she does pass out when we get home but an hour later shes running around playing with toys. We take her on 4-5hr horseback rides and she loves it! I think it depends on the breed. I just know Melody loves exercise, smelling things, and being with ppl, so it works out well! Good luck!
  • cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    I'm sorry but the idea of a dog with a backpack on amuses me. Too cute. You have to take a picture of her with it on for me!

I haven't figured out how to post pictures on threads, but if you go to my profile and look at my pictures, I have one of her with her backpack on. :bigsmile: :laugh:

lol, awesome
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,029 Member
    I love to take my dogs out. Bodi can run for ever. I have to be really careful when he gets thirsty after chasing the ball for 30 minutes of non stop running (bloat concerns) I finally took my older dog Kiera (10 yrs) out and she chased Bodi. I realized that she hadn't "run" in years. She was very sore after the first time but now she loves it. I wish it wasn't so rainy yucky up here right now. They are both stuck inside.
  • Crawline
    Crawline Posts: 1,028

Beanie is my Pitbull/Lab mix - she liked to walk and I can take her with me a lot of the time - but for some reason she HATES white dogs and will attack them - doesn't matter what size... So, when I walk her I have to be hyper aware.

My dog has sort of the same issue...except Daisy is a black lab/border collie and hates get this - black people...now if only she could look in the mirror and see herself. She also HATES HATES HATES bicycles...and will run after/attack them if possible. Other than that she is a very well trained and well behaved dog.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member

Beanie is my Pitbull/Lab mix - she liked to walk and I can take her with me a lot of the time - but for some reason she HATES white dogs and will attack them - doesn't matter what size... So, when I walk her I have to be hyper aware.

My dog has sort of the same issue...except Daisy is a black lab/border collie and hates get this - black people...now if only she could look in the mirror and see herself. She also HATES HATES HATES bicycles...and will run after/attack them if possible. Other than that she is a very well trained and well behaved dog.

I'm actually kind of glad that you posted this... Bella, the foster that's a Pitbull/Boston Terrier mix also does not care of black people. So much so that I can no longer take her to adoption events. It was so embarassing to have to explain to people that "no, I'm sorry you probably don't want to pet her - she's prejudice!" Bella is (obviously) a rescue and at best guess we believe she was used as a "breeder" for fighting rings... she's had several litters. She's also obviously been abused. I can only guess that her former owners were black judging by her reaction. We've tried to teach her that black people are nice by having our friends come over to give her treats... no go. It's sad.

Beanie too was a rescue - so who knows what her past was - maybe she was attacked by a white dog... but she hates poodles and white shepherds alike.

All rescue dogs have their quirks - but it's especially heartbreaking to me when the pitbulls come in... they're hard enough to find loving, safe homes for because of their negative media attention... let alone when you add the aggressive tendencies in.

To the OP - I agree Lexi looks like she might have some Bull Mastiff in her, being that she's a mix- that might be why she doesn't have the jowls... she's just gorgeous though! I love dogs!
This discussion has been closed.