i dont understand some people here

Options

Replies

• campfies92
    Options
    i agree totally..people judge on here by photos and also when you have an opinion on something..i always get judged on here and i don't even know why!!!!
    It happens. I'm sorry. =/
  • campfies92
    Options
    I agree! Although I would like to add that when I do put my foot in my mouth I appreciate someone letting me know, tactfully.
    Agreed.
  • HaleyxErin
    HaleyxErin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I believe in stating an opinion, but if you can't word it in a way that won't hurt someone then gtfo. If it is your opinion that being vegan is bad start with "in my opinion" and don't go all VEGANS ARE STUPID, YOU SHOULD EAT SOME STEAK or something equally ignorant. There is a difference in stating an opinion and being rude.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    i agree totally..people judge on here by photos and also when you have an opinion on something..i always get judged on here and i don't even know why!!!!

Judged on what? Having a hot chick on either side of you? Pfft, must be some fem hate getting thrown your way.
  • campfies92
    Options
    PERCEPTION.

Lots of time people FAIL to see humor, sarcasm or directness.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Its hard to tell on the internet for 1, and for 2 if you don't know the person its hard to say. I appreciate your post.
  • ChristinaR720
    Options
    Hunger brings out the irritability in people. Focus on the good aspects of MFP, and either have fun with or ignore the other stuff.
  • campfies92
    Options
    I believe in stating an opinion, but if you can't word it in a way that won't hurt someone then gtfo. If it is your opinion that being vegan is bad start with "in my opinion" and don't go all VEGANS ARE STUPID, YOU SHOULD EAT SOME STEAK or something equally ignorant. There is a difference in stating an opinion and being rude.
    I also agree!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Awww...do you want some cheese to go wth that whine???
  • campfies92
    Options
    Hunger brings out the irritability in people. Focus on the good aspects of MFP, and either have fun with or ignore the other stuff.
    Also true.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me..I won't be negative to you.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Yes- Let's act like adults, shall we? Last time I checked, adults don't whine and cry and stomp their feet every time someone disagrees with them or makes a joke they don't like. Adults do not run around snitching on other people, trying to get them punished for some small offense. Adults don't call meetings to rant every time someone they know hurts their feelings. An adult should - when they see or hear something they don't like - be able to have the self control to ignore it and move onto something else.

Just because we're all here to lose weight/improve our fitness does not make us all compatible. Do you like everyone in real life? I sure as hell don't. So why would I like everyone on this site?
    Wow, you might wanna add 'lose the attitude' to your ticker.
  • momm07
    momm07 Posts: 10
    Options
    You are exactly right! Some feel that they need to put others down to make themselves feel better, but that doesn't actually work. I love when everyone works together to motivate one another and encourage one another! My MFP friends help me so much. I appreciate them all.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you mean by negative...a lot of people perceive disagreement as negative...or correcting nonsense as negative. If someone asks me if raspberry keytones are going to help them lose weight I'm going to tell them it's bull****...because it is. A lot of people just post pure nonsense that has no basis in science...a lot of us are going to call bull**** on that because it is in fact, bull ****.

When I first started, I didn't know my head from my *kitten* when it came to this stuff. I believed in several unsubstantiated myths and fairy tales...I thank the people that called bull****. Also, many do this with sarcasm...largely because a lot of the same bull**** comes up endlessly on this forum. Never mind the posters who post something just plain stupid like the post yesterday about peoples background in their profile pics being in messy rooms or whatever...people who post stupid **** are going to get railed.

Support isn't always hand holding and agreeing with someone...sometimes support is tough love...it's not beating around the bush and trying to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Before anyone else can beat me to it:

tumblr_m1gb48vfpf1qdiz8w.jpg
    Lol! Too funny! Just read what I said people, All's I was saying was that I wish their were more positive than negative on this site.

it is being positive when someone genuinely tries to help you by negating wrong ideas about weightloss
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Aren't we all here for the same common goal? To lose weight, get fit, and to be healthy.

Yes and no. And the negative comments are generally how you perceive them. Most people on here give good feedback but if it isn't what you want to hear they are told they are mean an nasty and blah blah blah.

Also this is the internet, there are a lot of different people here and people rarely get along if your new to earth welcome, but know that not everyone ever frucking gets along all the time. Its just the way it is.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    PERCEPTION.

Lots of time people FAIL to see humor, sarcasm or directness.

IDEA Fitness member
    Its hard to tell on the internet for 1, and for 2 if you don't know the person its hard to say. I appreciate your post.
    How one reads a post can dictate how one responds as a negative or positive. Go to this one and read it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/893296-pregnancy-weight-gain-some-are-gaining-too-much

IDEA Fitness member
  • campfies92
    Options
    Well everyone! Thanks for your input! I am actually doing an article for human behavior/reactions. I posted this because yes I think people can be rude but I also posted because I needed to see how many different personalities collide with this statement. You all showed very many different reactions to my post. A lot of negatives and some positives. Its a proven fact that the average human thinks more negatives than positives. Good luck to everyone in their weight loss journey!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    As a parent, one of the greatest strengths I can teach my daughters is self-confidence. If someone is mean to them at school, I talk to them about their own choices, their actions. The focus is not on the "mean" person. Why give negativity more attention than it deserves?

Obviously, if my kid was assaulted, I'm not going to ignore that. But in nearly every scenario, my kid has a choice to react. She has some control over how much something bothers her. We have many discussions about words, and the power words have vs. the power we give to words.

There are "mean" people in the world. Calling them out doesn't change that. The number of people on the Internet who have been called out in a forum, then changed their behavior based on being publicly called out, is a very small number. I propose that it is a waste of time and energy to even call them out. You will never find agreement among a group of people on what is direct, honest feedback and what is rude/mean/uncalled for/hurtful. Unless that group is small and very like-minded. In other words, not an Internet forum open to the world.

Rather than name-calling and postulating why someone might be rude/mean/etc., why not focus on the people we claim to care about? If someone's feelings are hurt, and you want to help that person, isn't focusing on that person the right call? I like to encourage others to not take Internet comments seriously, try to learn from different view points, ignore name calling, etc. Isn't that ultimately more helpful than calling out faceless meanies?

(edit: typos)
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options

Support isn't always hand holding and agreeing with someone...sometimes support is tough love...it's not beating around the bush and trying to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy.

This is so true!!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    363bz5.jpg