People who eat back their exercise CALORIES!!

Options

Replies

• carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    1st, no one is burning 1800 calories with exercise each day unless they are running marathons
    2nd its very easy to eat 1800 - too easy!
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    What if you ate 2000+ calories including high sugar and then 18 hours later burned 2000 calories, is it crucial to eat back those exercise calories or would it be wise to hold back a little?
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    1st, no one is burning 1800 calories with exercise each day unless they are running marathons

People over 200 lbs who work out for 2-3 hours certainly do
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    If I feel like I am having a hard time reaching my calories on a certain day - I eat cheese and crackers with a glass of chocolate milk. It's my favourite snack, because apparently I am seven.
  • carrieous
    Options

if you say so. Maybe body builders can burn that much and withstand 2-3 hrs of grueling exercise but its not a reasonable number for any average person to burn in a day. 500 is more reasonable
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I eat what fits in my calories and try to make it fit my macros :)

In the way of the cat, if it fits I eats.

hEF298EDD

Soo cute, Keeping up with the theme..
    BeerCat_zpsbac2f38d.jpg
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I included the exercise I was going to do in my calorie goal as I was planning my meals. I knew approximately many calories I'd burn depending on what exercise I was going to do, so I never thought of it as "eating back" calories, just eating.

Currently, I don't count exercise calories because I already have it factored into my daily goal. It's easier for me this way, to eat approximately the same amount every day, than to have high days when I'd run and lower days when I lifted. My appetite didn't always coincide with my calories burned... running (especially long distance) makes me lose my appetite and lifting turns me into a garbage disposal. I ran yesterday and forgot to eat lunch when I got home. I did weights today, and even after breakfast, mid morning snack, lunch, and an afternoon snack just a little while ago, I'm STARVING right now.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i thought eating back exercise cals was like...if you burn 250 calories, you can eat those 250 calories back. not eating 1800 calories on top of your 1800 calories.

*scratches head*

whatever!
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    it will ask the time you put on a treadmill. but it doesnt know if you ran or what speed.

Don't use the vague and useless entries. Don't use "treadmill" use "running" (and what pace you went) or "walking" (and what pace you went. Or enter your age and weight into the treadmill, and override the calories MFP suggests with what the machine said. Ditto for an exercise bike or elliptical.

I never used a HRM and never plan on it. I used the estimates from MFP, machines or Runkeeper, ate most of my exercise calories. I got the exact results I wanted. When I aimed to lose one pound a week, on average, that's what I lost. When I aimed to lose a half pound a week, on average, that's what I lost.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    If I feel like I am having a hard time reaching my calories on a certain day - I eat cheese and crackers with a glass of chocolate milk. It's my favourite snack, because apparently I am seven.

This made me lol. Then, I am 7, too. i love chocolate milk, string cheese...surely about a dozen other things that should just be for kids, too.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Eating food, mostly good nutritious food. Added more snacks since I've been maintaining.

Today =
    Goal: 2000
    Food: 2591
    Exercise: -814
    Net: 1777

Remaining: 223
  • LorinaLynn
    Options

This made me lol. Then, I am 7, too. i love chocolate milk, string cheese...surely about a dozen other things that should just be for kids, too.

It's in my top 4 most commonly used foods. I have it for a bedtime snack just about every night. It would probably be #1 most commonly used if I just entered "chocolate milk" instead of the specific brand(s).
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options

if you say so. Maybe body builders can burn that much and withstand 2-3 hrs of grueling exercise but its not a reasonable number for any average person to burn in a day. 500 is more reasonable

I did a double take at the 1800-2000 estimate, too. A serious athlete might burn that training but idk if i believe any one at any weight is burning that much with moderate exercise. That said, there are days when i run 4 or 5 miles and take a zumba class or do other cardio. On those days, by my HRM, I have no problem getting a calorie burn of 900-1000 + calories. But I'm exercising HOURS a day.

I'm just saying it would take a heck of a lot of dedication to get that kind of burn. And your energy would probably peak before you could get that high. That said, MFP's calorie estimates (in my experience) have been grossly inflated for every exercise I participate in except running, jump roping and running stairs. Invest in a decent HRM if you want reasonable estimates.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    I assumed she meant 1800-2000 calories total, which is a pretty good range for most active women.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Average box of pop tarts = 1600 calories. Done.
  • lilmissbamaqueen
    Options
    If you find out what your TDEE is, it's probably somewhere in the 2000's. I wear a FitBit and find that I'm burning 1600 calories or so just from walking around at work all day. If your calorie goal is between your BMR and your TDEE, you shouldn't worry about eating back exercise calories, because they're already built in. Now, I'm still learning... I've only been at this for about six weeks, but that's my two cents' worth. :)
  • magerum
    Options

I disagree. I regularly burn 1300+ calories on my cardio days (M/W/F).
  • carrieous
    Options
    it will ask the time you put on a treadmill. but it doesnt know if you ran or what speed.

Don't use the vague and useless entries. Don't use "treadmill" use "running" (and what pace you went) or "walking" (and what pace you went. Or enter your age and weight into the treadmill, and override the calories MFP suggests with what the machine said. Ditto for an exercise bike or elliptical.

i always go by the machine, not MFP, because the machine seems to be a more accurate gauge of how fast/long/hard i actually ran. Maybe im doin it wrong
  • magerum
    Options

i always go by the machine, not MFP, because the machine seems to be a more accurate gauge of how fast/long/hard i actually ran. Maybe im doin it wrong

Get a quality heart rate monitor.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

I disagree. I regularly burn 1300+ calories on my cardio days (M/W/F).

Ditto!! Have no problem burning 1400 calories a day.....