Anyone wanna juice fast?

Options

Replies

• jezama77
    jezama77 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I just completed a fast, but not a juice fast. It was a liquid fast. I drank protein shakes, fruit smoothies, thinned vegetables soups with no 'chunks' (i.e. V8, tomato soup, or homemade ones). I did this fast for religious and personal reasons. Part of the personal reasons were that I have a hard time saying no to food. I also eat emotionally. This fast gave me a chance to remind myself that I have other coping strategies besides eating to deal with my life. I also added fiber to some of my smoothies (good for the bathroom if you know what I mean...). It was a great experience. I have done it once before. I now feel even more committed to being healthy! So, I think some fasts can be okay, but I could not do one that is just 'juice'. I used a Magic Bullet blender to make my smoothies, but not a 'juicer'.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Where's all the protein?

It just seems to me that juicing is for people that typically just don't eat fruits and vegetables. For some reason they think that drinking them is some sort of cure all. They go out buy a bunch of produce and juice it.... drink it and feel amazing.... when in reality is they would have just eat all that produce they would feel just as amazing.

:tongue:

Who says you can't put protein powder inside of a juice? Aren't there vegetables that do contain protein in them? You eat close to a vegan diet, you should know.
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Don't let the naysayers here dissuade you. Juicing is great, and a little fast to get your "diet" started is not a bad way to go, as long as you incorporate juicing past the fast and make it part of your lifestyle permanently. If you are just going to do a 10 day fast though and go back to your old ways, don't bother.

I do smoothies, because I like the extra fiber, and you can check out my diary if you like. Good luck.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    If you're in the mood, go for it!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Where's all the protein?

It just seems to me that juicing is for people that typically just don't eat fruits and vegetables. For some reason they think that drinking them is some sort of cure all. They go out buy a bunch of produce and juice it.... drink it and feel amazing.... when in reality is they would have just eat all that produce they would feel just as amazing.

Who says you can't put protein powder inside of a juice? Aren't there vegetables that do contain protein in them? You eat close to a vegan diet, you should know.

While vegetables may contain some protein, they are very poor sources. Kale is often listed as a high protein vegetable - it has about 1 gram per cup.

Most vegans eat legumes and nuts.

As for the protein powder, it pretty much defeats the purpose of a juicing fast, but you can put anything you want in your juice. The same with the pulp: the purpose of juicing is to remove the bulk.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    No...because you will take weight off and then it will bounce right back. Nothing about fasting is healthy! Stop the madness!
  • ashleey1000
    ashleey1000 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You must have just watched "fat,sick,and nearly dead", eh?
    Interesting documentary.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    Where's all the protein?

While vegetables may contain some protein, they are very poor sources. Kale is often listed as a high protein vegetable - it has about 1 gram per cup.

Most vegans eat legumes and nuts.

As for the protein powder, it pretty much defeats the purpose of a juicing fast, but you can put anything you want in your juice. The same with the pulp: the purpose of juicing is to remove the bulk.

As far as I'm aware, there is no standardize nationwide legal team that says you can't put protein powder inside of a juice. Maybe your preconceived notion as to what you can do with a blender is overshadowed about what the real goal is, and that's to live a healthier lifestyle by offering suggestions that can help others on this journey to make a juicing routine work, instead of demonizing anything that doesn't fit your ideology of healthy eating.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

As far as I'm aware, there is no standardize nationwide legal team that says you can't put protein powder inside of a juice. Maybe your preconceived notion as to what you can do with a blender is overshadowed about what the real goal is, and that's to live a healthier lifestyle by offering suggestions that can help others on this journey to make a juicing routine work, instead of demonizing anything that doesn't fit your ideology of healthy eating.

Are you going to be seriously disappointed if no will pick a fight with you?
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

No, i'm not looking to pick a fight. I just wanted to offer suggestions to help the OP on her journey on the path that she choose. It can work and if someone feels that something is missing such as protein, that someone could simply tell her to add protein instead of just saying it's unhealthy.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

No, i'm not looking to pick a fight. I just wanted to offer suggestions to help the OP on her journey on the path that she choose. It can work and if someone feels that something is missing such as protein, that someone could simply tell her to add protein instead of just saying it's unhealthy.

Don't forget the fiber ;-)
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    A favorite juice combination for me right now is:
    celery
    spinach
    fuji apple
    fresh mint
    It's stunningly delicious

Another great juice is
    carrot
    a whole lemon (I mean, rind and all....you can add half or whatever proportional to the number of carrots, to taste)
    fresh ginger (optional, but tasty!)
    The lemon cuts the super sweetness of the carrots, making a really fine juice:)

Do you have a juicing book? Do you know little facts, such as, don't juice the seeds of an apple....in large quantity they are poisonous, as they contain cyanide. I mean, a few won't hurt you, but don't juice loads of apples day after day, as it will make you sick. There's not a lot of dangers, but lots of little tips. Juicing is a fun adventure, and very very good for you!! Have fun, and don't be hard on yourself....just enjoy it and make yourself healthier/fitter/happier.

I have often had only a green juice for breakfast. I LOVE this, as it is so hydrating/energizing/nourishing, and gives my digestive system a nice break from solid foods.
  • blink1281
    blink1281 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    A great juice is fennel and pear.

I completed a juice/veggie cleanse last yr. I juiced every day and then only ate vegetables or fruit. It lasted about 6 days. I decided to do it after watching Fat sick and nearly dead. I had a bad junk food habit and real bad sugar cravings before i started. Day 3 was the worse. it felt like i had the worse hangover of my life. Day 4 & 5 i felt AMAZING. My skin had a great glow and all my acne cleared up. I had a rash on my wrist for prob 8mths and no matter what creams i was prescribed it never went away. Then after juicing it was gone and has never returned. That was over a yr ago

If i was going to to it again i would only do 5 days. By day 6 i was majorly lacking protein and started to feel really weak. My heart would race when i got out of bed in the morning. Needless to say carbs and protein were entered back into my diet that day.

since i did the juice cleanse i no longer have sugar in my coffee. My sugar cravings in general have greatly diminished. It also kick started my healthy lifestyle. It was the dramatic change i needed to detox, and stop all the junk cravings. I lost 7lbs and never gained it back. I have been on a healthy journey ever since.

I agree w/ the other posts regarding the lack of fibre w/ juicing. Now i drink a veggie smoothie every morning. It ensures i reach my veggie quota every day
  • healthilybeautiful
    Options
    That does not sound healthy at all and your blood sugar level will probably spike high !
  • CoachBRogers
    Options
    I preface what I am about to say that anyone considering a juice fast should visit a doctor first. I hear the naysayers out there about the juice fast and I agree with you that eating raw fruits and vegetables are better than juicing, and that there is a possibility of the YOYO diet occuring, BUT.......

I've approaced my juice fast with a change in attitude. I drank regularly (Beer), ate the fast foods (every drive home fro work), and gained a lot of work. I decided to do something drastic and yes, I watched the movie. Today is the 30th day of my fast and I've lost a total of 44lbs (again results may vary but these are my results). I intend to go another 30 days and come off the fast properly and change my poor nutritional habits. The need for coffee (caffeine is gone) and I don't have desire to pick up a beer. I started working out 2 weeks ago, and last week started the Power 90 program. I knew I needed protein so I've included Hemp Protein in my morning drink... disgusting flavor but accomodates the need for protein.

If you are already in decent shape, raw fruits and veggies are the way to go and I look forward to those in 30 days! :happy: :happy:
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    can I juice a steak?
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Can I still be in if I juice a lasagna?
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    First off... <3 my Breville!

I did try a 3 day juice fast for fun earlier this year, I really had a hard time on it, but it did shrink my stomach and allowed me remember what "full" is. I did eat a small amount of whole grains and even baked a sweet potato during those 3 days, I was just not feeling well only drinking my calories.

The fat, sick and nearly dead website has plans where you still eat whole vegetables and fruit while juicing. I think this is an okay plan to jump start a new lifestyle, but not something to be done constantly. I still do green juice almost every day with a lime and a few apples to just add a bit of sweetness. I will never just pure fruit juice, it's too sweet.

Also Sweet potato, pears, and ginger make for a crazy good desert drink.
  • jgarf4me
    jgarf4me Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i cant do only juice but i will say i have tried juices on weekends and its been awesome
  • candypa
    candypa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I juiced, but it wasn't exclusively juice. I also eat vegies cooked and lean meat. It has helped with the weight loss. I don't follow a recipe I just juice what I have. I never tried kale before juicing and it is pretty good. I haven't tried it any other way yet. I didn't eat pears fresh, but the juice is good. I guess it is a texture thing.