Do you have a brussels sprout recipe? Share!

Options

Replies

• MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Ingredients

1 ½ pounds brussel sprouts

¼ cup olive oil

¾ teaspoon sea salt

¼ teaspoon (or 10 grinds of) black pepper

2 tablespoons maple syrup

½ cup toasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped (optional)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

To prepare the brussel sprouts, remove any yellow or brown outer leaves, cut off the stems, and cut in half.

In a large bowl, toss the brussel sprouts, olive oil, salt, and pepper together. Once all of the brussel sprouts are coated in oil, spread them into a 9×13 (or larger) baking dish or sheet tray to roast. Note: You may want to line your sheet tray with foil for easy cleanup because the caramelizing process leaves a sticky residue.

After 15 minutes, stir the brussel sprouts around with a spatula or large spoon to even out the browning. After 30 minutes, stir in the maple syrup.

Continue to roast the brussel sprouts for about 15 more minutes, or until they are fork tender (about 45 minutes total roasting time).

Toss the roasted brussel sprouts with the hazelnuts and devour!

Do-ahead Tip: Steps 1-4 can be prepared the day before and stored covered in the refrigerator. You can finish the remaining 15 minutes of roasting time (steps 5-6) right before serving.

I skip the nuts because I'm allergic
  • savyjenn
    savyjenn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My favorite, is to steam or boil them until they are just starting to soften, then lightly saute them on the stove with some pancetta, salt and pepper, until they have some nice brown spots. It's very easy and they taste delicious!

mail-1_zps55dcca0a.jpeg

I use canadian bacon(a little lighter) but same basic flavors!
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple.

Wash, stem and trim about a dozen or so...slice in half and toss in a spoonful of olive oil. Roast at 400° till lightly charred all over, flipping them as needed. Hit 'em with sea salt, fresh ground black pepper and sometimes a splash of balsamic vinegar.

A local restaurant serves 'em caramelized with a maple syrup reduction. Very tasty but too sweet for me these days. Although I would probably add some coarsely ground pecans to that, but that's just me.

Just eliminate the maple syrup and the vinegar. Otherwise I love these.
  • raegan1215
    Options
    slice them.
    throw 'em in a skillet with a little olive oil on medium high.
    cook 4-5 minutes until they're getting browned.
    add in minced garlic - i use quite a bit!
    add some red pepper flakes.
    keep browning until some bits are charred and crispy and delicious.

sometimes i pan fry them the same way but throw in cranberries and top with goat cheese.

or cut them in half horizontally and drizzle some maple syrup on them and then roast them in the oven.

YUMMM!!!!!!!!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Mine is really simple and delicious. Per 2 servings of brussels sprouts I coat with 1 Tbsp good extra virgin olive oil...pop in 400 degree preheated oven for 15 minutes...done. S&P as desired.
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Options
    I steam them and top with a little malt vinegar and sea salt when doing low cal.
  • katie_fitzy
    katie_fitzy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I boil them until tender crisp. Drain and cool. Then I toss them with a little low cal zesty italian dressing and serve them over a bed of lettuce and eat as a salad. Nice change from the usual.
  • shearnerve
    shearnerve Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Now I understand your relationship with veggies!
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    These recipes look wonderful!
    I usually just boil mine in a bit of chicken broth.

I love the taste, but the SMELL of cooked Brussels sprouts is so strong that I rarely cook them. Anyone have an idea for lessening the whole-house aroma while cooking these wonderful veggies? Cracking the kitchen window and turning on the vent over the stove doesn't help much.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I cut them in half, saute in some olive oil, add garlic cloves (left whole), black pepper. When they turn bright green and start to get some browning, I add about 1/4 cup of sherry and a couple tablespoons of soy sauce, turn the heat down, cover and let them steam for 10 mins or so. Then I take the lid off, crank the heat up and reduce the liquid in the pan til it's a nice thick sauce. The whole garlic cloves are awesome to eat by themselves, soft and sweet.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • annievl
    annievl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just tried cooking brussel sprouts for the first time last week!
    I mixed them with olive oil, red wine vinegar, and garlic and baked them for 15 minutes.
    Served over cous cous, cooked with a low sodium vegi bullion cube, homemade carrot powder, and cumin seeds. .
    YUMMM!!!
    I read that they can be served over creamed polenta as well!
  • raegan1215
    Options
    I love the taste, but the SMELL of cooked Brussels sprouts is so strong that I rarely cook them. Anyone have an idea for lessening the whole-house aroma while cooking these wonderful veggies? Cracking the kitchen window and turning on the vent over the stove doesn't help much.

don't boil them! i've never noticed an overwhelming smell when pan-frying them (sometimes i don't even use oil, just slice and throw 'em in a hot pan) or roasting them in the oven.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I cook some bacon (don't need much, one or two slices) leaving the fat, add shredded brussels sprouts (they loose some bitterness that way), and finely sliced onions, saute until cooked and at the end drizzle some balsamic over the top... now I want them....

That sounds delish! Now I want some too
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I trim them, cut an X in the base (so they cook evenly) and steam until just tender and still vibrant green.

While they are steaming, I heat a frypan and spray with bran oil. I chop one slice of bacon into little pieces and gently fry with around half an onion (or a whole small onion) chopped into pieces, a clove of garlic and a tablespoon of pine nuts (or sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds).

Once the brussels sprouts are steamed I combine them with the bacon mix, a little knob of butter or margarine, finely ground black pepper and about a tablespoon of fresh chopped herbs (usually parsley and chives or garlic chives) and serve. D-lish.

And for those of you who are worried about cooking smells from the sprouts, the aroma of bacon/onions/garlic cooking more than covers that and has hungry children wandering in to see what that yummy smell is :D
  • kelcro40
    kelcro40 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Here is my mothers recipe.

When cooking them for christmas dinner, add them to boiling water sometime in mid november.
    Then add half a pound of salt to the water. Keep them boiling for a month and a half til the water is grey and opaque and the sprouts are mush.
    Then slop them onto the plate.

In this way you will ensure that when any son you may or may not have grows up he will consider sprouts to be the spawn of satan and ban them permanently from his house.

LMAO Sorry your mom ruined it for you. You should try some of these recipes! Also use fresh ones not frozen if you can find them. They really are good.
  • kelcro40
    kelcro40 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    LOVE sprouts! We just had them this afternoon! I prefer them roasted in the oven, but hubby complains that it makes the house smell of brussel sprouts. I may try them in the frying pan with some garlic after reading some of these suggestions.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Cook them half-raw in water

Then bake them in oven pouring over a mixture of an egg, 3 tbsp sour cream and grated Swiss Cheese (Emmentaler) until it starts turning brown.

csoben-sult-kelbimbo-csirkemellel.jpg

YUM