Do you have a brussels sprout recipe? Share!

Options

Replies

• meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Cook them half-raw in water

Then bake them in oven pouring over a mixture of an egg, 3 tbsp sour cream and grated Swiss Cheese (Emmentaler) until it starts turning brown.

YUM
    Yes please!
  • ljtyler7
    ljtyler7 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Mix together:
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    2 Tbsp 100% maple syrup
    1 tsp dijon mustard
    dash of salt

Toss frozen/thawed brussels sprouts in this mixture and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. I add chestnuts too when I have them on hand. If you are not worried about fat, adding some homemade bacon bits is really nice too!
  • kelcro40
    kelcro40 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Cook them half-raw in water

Then bake them in oven pouring over a mixture of an egg, 3 tbsp sour cream and grated Swiss Cheese (Emmentaler) until it starts turning brown.

csoben-sult-kelbimbo-csirkemellel.jpg

YUM

This looks so goooood! Thanks!

Any more out there?
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    2 slices center cut bacon fried crisp, drained and crumbled
    1 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
    1/4 tsp dried thyme
    1 1/2 cups sliced onion
    1/3 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth

Remove bacon from pan, add thyme and onion to pan and saute 3 minutes. Add broth and sprouts then bring to boil. Cover and simmer about 5-6 minutes. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon.

This was the recipe that convinced my partner to eat brussels sprouts. He'll eat anything with bacon. :)
  • bkciddir
    bkciddir Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love brussel sprouts. Here is a receipt that I cook often and my kids beg for:
    Cut ends off brussel sprouts, then cut in half. Place in a pan over low heat on top of the stove.
    Add 1/2 cup of a sweet balsomic vinegar.
    Season with sea salt and pepper.
    It a seperate pan, cook enough center cut baccon that you will have about 1/3 cup crumbled.
    Add the baccon to the brussel sprouts and balsomic vinegar.
    Add 1-2 tsps. of splenda (depending on how sweet you like) or whole sugar cane.
    Cook on medium to low heat until the brussel sprouts are tender and you have a nice sweet balsomic vinegar reduction.
    Talk about an awsome tasty veggie!!!!! YUM!
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i just had some for lunch & the office stinks, awesome:) i quarter mine...salt & pepper to taste...diced garlic gloves...& i put in a can of white chicken meat...w/the juices...in a bowl, cover & nuke for 5min = full belly & stinky office, yummy lunch!
  • kate123174
    kate123174 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • BrightonChick
    BrightonChick Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm with you guys, I LOVE LOVE LOVE brussel sprouts....how have not one of you mentioned BS Soup?! Oh my goodness seriously amazing and even converts Sprout haters! (Just don't tell them what it is....!)

Here's my fave:

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/300772/Brussels-sprouts-soup

I eliminate the crème fraîche as it is creamy enough without it :)

Enjoy!
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    This is my fave from Giada De Laurentiis

Ingredients

1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    3 ounces paper-thin slices pancetta, coarsely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    3/4 cup low-salt chicken broth

Directions

Partially cook the Brussels sprouts in a large pot of boiling salted water, about 4 minutes. Drain.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta and saute until beginning to crisp, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until pale golden, about 2 minutes. Add the Brussels sprouts to the same skillet and saute until heated through and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the broth and simmer until the broth reduces just enough to coat the Brussels sprouts, about 3 minutes. Serve.

SERVES: 4 (SIDE); Calories: 189; Total Fat: 14 grams; Saturated Fat: 3 grams; Protein: 8 grams; Total carbohydrates: 10 grams; Sugar: 2 grams; Fiber: 4 grams; Cholesterol: 19 milligrams; Sodium: 580 milligrams
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Here is my mothers recipe.

When cooking them for christmas dinner, add them to boiling water sometime in mid november.
    Then add half a pound of salt to the water. Keep them boiling for a month and a half til the water is grey and opaque and the sprouts are mush.
    Then slop them onto the plate.

In this way you will ensure that when any son you may or may not have grows up he will consider sprouts to be the spawn of satan and ban them permanently from his house.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe you can try: Mashed potatoes and brussels sprouts:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Mashed-Potatoes--n--Brussels-Sprouts
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I love brussels, now I want some.. DARN you all! Now I have to go to the store!
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    It sounds weird, but they're amazing pickled! They taste like dilly beans if you combine them in a jar with garlic and dill weed/seed.

They're also good raw, shredded coarsely in a food processor and used as the base for a vegetable salad. I eat the small, crisp ones raw with dill-flavored dip too.
  • jacque1129
    jacque1129 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    bump, drooling over these, need to get brussel sprouts and come back to this page!
    37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Ingredients:

Brussels Sprouts
    Olive Oil (don't use the cheap stuff. The tastier the oil, the tastier the dish)
    Balsamic Vinegar
    Sea Salt
    Fresh Cracked Pepper

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to roast at 375°F.

2. Peel the outer, beat-up layers of the brussels sprouts off. Trim the end, then cut brussels sprouts in half.

3. Toss in a bowl with enough olive oil to coat evenly, then add balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.

4. Lightly oil a sheet pan, then spread out brussels sprouts, cut side down. Roast in oven for 15 min., flip the sprouts to cut side up, then roast for about 10 minutes more or until gently browned.

Brussels sprouts are so gooooood!
  • s_wilson84
    s_wilson84 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Pan sauteed with red onion, garlic, sea salt, and red wine vinegar!
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    If brussels sprouts smell bad, you've either overcooked them (overcooking them releasing sulfur compounds from within the sprout), or you've bought some yucky old ones from Mexico out of season. Brussels sprouts are in season in the U.S. in the fall, and taste the best when the buds are small and tight, harvested right after a light frost to increase their sweetness.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Here is my mothers recipe.

When cooking them for christmas dinner, add them to boiling water sometime in mid november.
    Then add half a pound of salt to the water. Keep them boiling for a month and a half til the water is grey and opaque and the sprouts are mush.
    Then slop them onto the plate.

In this way you will ensure that when any son you may or may not have grows up he will consider sprouts to be the spawn of satan and ban them permanently from his house.

Hahaaa...too funny
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Some great options have been posted. YUM

Here's how I like mine:

1. find the smallest sprouts you can. The little ones are so mild and not bitter at all like some of the big ones can be
    2. Cut off the stems and slice em in half
    3. Drizzle with olive oil
    4. Season with lemon zest, red pepper flake and salt
    5. broil on high about 5 minutes or until some edges are charred, stir and broil a couple minutes more until crisp-tender.
    6. Finish with a little squeeze of fresh lemon juice