A Suggestion for Americans

Options
I have a suggestion that may help as a motivator.
You have probably heard all us Brits talk about "stones" when we talk about weight. That's how we measure bodyweight.
There are 14lb in a stone. So where you would say 145lb, we would say 10st 5lb.

So this morning, I step on the scales, and i'm at 18st 13lb. And boy am I doing the happy dance. Because for the first time in years my weight begins with 18....not 22 like it did when I started this.
Would I have been as happy if I was just going for 266lb to 265lb? I doubt it, but it's the same.

Perhaps, if you worked out your weight in stones it may give you some extra milestones, extra "got there", points, that will help with motivation.

Just a thought.

Replies

• Dragon67
    Dragon67 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I agree... stones an pounds does it for me too!!! its nice to mark off each 1/2 stone lost, and what a feeling when you drop down to the next stone bracket :-)
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    As an Aussie living in London, I add an extra milestone... Kilograms :) So I celebrate at each 10lbs, each stone and each 5kg mark. It's great and provides so much more motivation!
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Great ideas guys!! It's the little victories along the way that help you keep going!
  • brooks124u
    brooks124u Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks from the U.S.A.!!! I have heard people from overseas talk about stones, but did not know what it meant.Now I do :drinker:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Dude lbs. system is bad enough... lets not overcomplicate with this stones. I am glad it works for you and if you're used to it, I am sure it comes in handy but in reality, for anyone not familiar with this system, it will just confuse them (just like the rest of the world is confused why 'Murica continues to use lbs vs. kg)
  • cazzer69
    cazzer69 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion. If dividing by 14 too complex for ya mate, then don't. Tisn't compulsory. :)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion. If dividing by 14 too complex for ya mate, then don't. Tisn't compulsory. :)

Theres many suggestions floating around these neighborhoods. Not all are pure gold sadly
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....more reasons to celebrate...win!
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I see what you did there...mileSTONES.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea. I've started using pounds more because that's what most people on this site do, but I bear in mind the stones too. I may start looking at kgs too.
    I was a tad disappointed to only have lost 1lb this last week, but it got me to 10st, which is half a stone gone. So tha turned it around a bit.
    It's all about looking for the positives wherever you can!
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Good morning and thank you for the suggestion. :smile:
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    You can also celebrate every 10 kilograms.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    9 stone, 4 pds then?

That adds an extra step and I'm too lazy to do conversions, plus my weight in pounds doesn't scare me. Unless my scale agrees to start reading in stones, I'm gonna just stick with the number it gives me. :laugh:
  • cazzer69
    cazzer69 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    At 9st 4lbs it probably doesn't matter :)
    I'm two of you and a bag of sugar :)
  • Faded_Memories
    Options
    Since I'm a Canadian, living in the UK...I do both now since I can tell my folks back home...and my current friends in the UK.

16lbs lost.... or 1 st. 2!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    "Stones" is stupid. Use lbs or kg.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I am in UK, and know what,I hit milestone [no pun intended ] yesterday. I have lost 4 stones since I started, and another milestone coming up any time soon, I will hit the 13 stone barrier
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Not a bad suggestion.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    "Stones" is stupid. Use lbs or kg.

When we can have stones? No chance! :drinker:
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,120 Member
    Options
    Back in the 1970s, the Canadian government started pushing metric for weights and measures. It takes a couple of generations for such notions to sink in, it seems. I have to admit temperatures was the easiest since the Celsius system is far more logical... 0C = freezing point of water. 100C = boiling point of water. Very easy... but weights do not seem to resonate as easily. As luck would have it, my home scale is metric but I still think in standard weights.