Best/ most helpful/ used item for w/loss?! (:

Options
allforthethrill
allforthethrill Posts: 108 Member
I'm curious to know what item everyone either uses the most or has been the biggest help since starting their journey.

Mine would be 2 things: Getting the MFP app, it means I can log everything and anything no matter where I am. Secondly, and I think this one may be the winner, a set of digital kitchen scales. I use the scales every day without a doubt, it takes 2 seconds to weigh something out and it means I know for sure how much I'm eating. It just takes the guess work out of everything, mainly from assuming servings of calorie dense food!

Replies

• PhoenixFitLife
    PhoenixFitLife Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My will to keep pushing
  • allforthethrill
    allforthethrill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My will to keep pushing

Nice answer. :P
    Any material items which helped along the way? (:
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Pictures of myself, hanging all over the house, best motivators ever.
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Definitely kitchen scales and using smaller plates. I've only recently joined MFP and think it's a brilliant tool for helping me realise exactly what I eat.

The scale is mine, too. I bought one that goes up to 15lbs and have converted all of my recipes into spreadsheets where I calculate the nutrition for each ingredient and add them all up. Then divide the total weight of the whole meal into servings. It makes everything, even complex recipes, so easy to track! I know how many calories 100g of my homemade lasagna has.

I'm getting better about eyeballing portions, but I still weigh almost everything before I eat it - packaged or homemade.
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    That Victoria's Secret magazine that keeps showing up in my mailbox.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Kitchen scale, heart rate monitor, a good sports bra, running shoes.

I had a home gym that someone gave me for free, but we bought a house that was much smaller and didn't have the room. It used resistance bands and I was using it to "lift heavy," and it had a stair stepper on the end. Sigh. I miss my home gym, but since we can't afford a gym membership, now I want a few dumbells, but they run about $1/lb. so it'll be pricy.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    MFP and my other motivator which is a little strange is American TV shows. I find watching shows with really skinny actresses on motivates me to work out after because I think damnit, I want to look like that! Haha.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Food scale! I use it every single meal.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    My two essential items: a device that measures your daily TDEE as accurately as possible for everyday use (Body Media Link) and a device that measures your food intake again, as accurately as possible for everyday use (a food scale). Pretty much anything else I use can be fashioned in one way or another from other items or avenues I have available to me.
  • seashell99z
    seashell99z Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Great pair of walking shoes, dusted off the kitchen scales and my FitBit One. The combination of the three have really helped me be successful thus far.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    My brain.
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options
    MFP, heart rate monitor, body fat tester, myo tape.

MFP forums are a big one, I just find that when I read them religiously it keeps me focused.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    my digital kitchen scale has been a terrific tool for me. I've acquired other gadgets, and they are fun and helpful, but the kitchen scale has definitely been the biggest help.
  • BeTheFire
    BeTheFire Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    FitBit One, and this site!
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Limiting the number of times I lift a fork to my mouth .
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    This food list.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dsjohndrow/view/if-you-have-to-eat-use-super-foods-193350

And Endomondo with an a HRM.

I really needed a food scale in the beginning.
  • gailwbh
    gailwbh Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My Nike+ ipod feature. My shoe 'talks' to my ipod. I have my favorite songs on my walking/jogging playlist and I keep pace with the music.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    food scale and measuring cups
  • shanebovee
    shanebovee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My 32oz water bottle, my watch with a stopwatch function, and my IPod for walking outside - I would say these three things are key for my weight loss
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    MFP.

But with MFP I use a food scale, measuring cups, my sneakers and my gym. Plus my kick *kitten* friends list.