Recipes for salmon

Options
theshow4jsu
theshow4jsu Posts: 380 Member
Let me preface this post by saying that I have tried salmon several different ways and I cannot stand it. It is way too fishy for my taste. I like some fish/seafood like shrimp, talapia, catfish, amberjack and snapper. My wife's coworker suggested we try frozen wild salmon, and that it doesn't taste fishy. Just wondering who had a recipe that I might try...

Replies

• McSpike
    McSpike Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Oh, how my family loves salmon!

Our favorite recipe:
    Salmon Veggie Bakes
    preheat oven to 350
    4 4-6oz salmon portions
    2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
    4 garlic cloves halved
    2 cups thinly sliced carrots (about 4 carrots)
    1/2 cup sliced green onions (about 4)
    2 tsp shredded orange peel
    2 tsp fresh oregano or 1/2 tsp dried oregano
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    4 tsp olive oil
    1 medium-large orange, thinly sliced

Blanch the carrots in a saucepan of boiling water for two minutes
    Combine carrots, mushrooms, onions, oregano, salt, pepper, orange peel and garlic in a bowl. Toss to combine.
    Create 4 squares of heavy foil, approx. 12x18 (I usually double the foil)
    Divide the veggies among the 4 squars of foil and place a piece of salmon on each portion. Salt and pepper the salmon to taste, then drizzle with olive oil. Place two slices of orange on each salmon.
    Fold up the foil to create a pouch, and place the foil pouches on a baking pan.
    Bake for 30 minutes, or until the fist flakes easily with a fork.
    Eat straight out of the pouch for family dinners, or transfer the contents to a dinner plate for better presentation.

I make 'em with either roasted potato wedges or a nice green salad.
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    FinallyFindingLisa Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recipe to share because all I do with my salmon is to put it in the oven and bake it - I spray the pan with cooking spray so it comes off clean. BUT, I can tell you the quality of the salmon makes a HUGE difference in how it tastes. We prefer Atlantic salmon at our house, I pick it up at Sam's (about $7/pound). I've heard good things about wild caught, but it is more expensive and since we like the Atlantic it seems silly to change. If you can get it from the meat counter at the store it will be better than the frozen stuff as well. Good luck!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Almond-crusted salmon and sweet potato fries.

Ingredients
    -Salmon fillet(s)
    -Almonds, crushed (roughly 12g per fillet)
    -Whole egg, separated (egg yolk in one bowl, egg white in the other)
    -Black pepper
    -Lime juice
    -Crushed garlic
    -Sweet potato.

Instructions.
    -Slice your sweet potato into wedges and coat in egg yolk, put in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius (350 Fahrenheit).
    -Stir your crushed garlic, black pepper and lime juice into the egg white.
    -Dip the salmon fillet(s) into the egg white, then lay out on a tray. Sprinkle crushed almonds over the salmon fillet, try to coat them as much as you can.
    -After the wedges have been in the oven for five minutes, open it up and put the salmon fillets in with them.
    -Sit around and enjoy life for 10-15 minutes whilst keeping an eye on the oven. Lovely day, isn't it? I dunno. Poach some eggs or something.
    -After 10-15 minutes take both the salmon and wedges out of the oven and serve.

8470622488_be0ef7b7ef.jpg

^Wedgess are slightly burnt and pic quality sucks, but they still tasted awesome.
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    If you need the fish taste gone completely marinade it in teriyaki or some other flavor and add some smoke to it while grilling it.
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I love salmon, even the frozen pre-marinated kind in the grocery store, but I'm trying to get away from the ready-made foods. The recipes posted so far look good so I'm going to try them out. Thanks
  • cllovesdw4eva
    Options
    Saute it very well in EVOO or butter with lemon mixed with strong herbs (tarragon, dill, rosemary)

If you have a grill that can be used as a smoker, rub a steak rub over it, then cook it very slow with indirect heat.

It will taste more like steak than fish. In a good way.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I mix up a glaze of soy sauce and honey. Then I just pan sear it and brush the glaze on as it's cooking.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I sympathize with you. I don't like fish, except for salmon. Use wild-caught salmon, not farmed ( which tastes muddy) and NOT frozen. I sprinkle mine with a little Canadian steak seasoning, a little spritz of lemon juice, and a couple of pats of butter, grill fillet skin side downuntil skin side blackens, then turn and give it a few more minutes, or steaks until turning golden. Use a fish basket on the grill so that you can turn the fish without it flaking away. If you add a little drizzle of honey the fish will remind you of lobster. A great side dish is cooked wild rice with sauteed mushrooms.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    We probably make it a million different ways, but our favorite is by grilling it and basting it with a reduction made from minced garlic, fresh squeezed orange juice and maple syrup. It sounds odd, but it's delicious. We almost always have it with brown rice and a veggies mix of red/yellow/orange bell peppers with sweet onions., or a baked sweet potato.
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump :love:
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Ever try cedar-plank salmon on the grill? It's fantastic. I also put just a bit of maple syrup on the salmon before grilling it. I thought it sounded odd at first too, and I generally do NOT like savory dishes with sweetness added, but the maple syrup flavor is quite subtle and delicious. It even makes a little bit of a crust on the salmon. Drool...
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I have some salmon in my freezer right now... bump!
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Wild salmon tastes completely different. I moved from the west coast to Toronto, and if this icky salmon was the only I'd ever tasted I would never have eaten it again. That being said, I do love this recipe for salmon bulgogi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pc-NizMgg8
  • purplekty
    purplekty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    There were a bunch of good ones in this thread
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/891273-salmon-recipes
  • Rambo529
    Rambo529 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have one I love from a co-worker of mine.

2 fillets of salmon, approximately the same size and shape (or 1 thick one cut in half)
    3 oz of cream cheese, room temp
    1 container of Feta cheese
    1 container of frozen spinach, thawed and drained (I use chopped)
    chopped green onion (if you desire)
    spices and herbs to taste

Preheat oven at 350, take the skin off the salmon (if you need to), use a non-stick spray on a baking dish, place one slab in the baking dish. Mix together the cream cheese, feta cheese, spinach, and chopped green onion until well mixed. Spread mixture onto salmon slab (will be kind of thick) place other slab on top. Drizzle with EVOO and season as you desire. Bake for about 30-40 minutes (depends on thickness of fish). Enjoy!
  • never124get
    Options
    My boyfriends mother always makes tons of salmon and keeps it in the fridge for a quick easy meal lunch or dinner when she doesn't have time to cook for herself. She lives in California so they go to Costco and buys the huge slab of Salmon they have. (I - from Ohio have never seen such a giant store, it was awesome!) She used some teriyaki sauce (low sodium) and some garlic powder, sprinkled the garlic powder on the salmon and then drizzled with the teriyaki sauce and add pepper but that's totally optional. Place in a foil-lined pan and broil for 15-20 mins. When cooked you can drizzle with lemon juice and serve with brown rice and steamed vegetables. Very yummy.
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Ever try cedar-plank salmon on the grill? It's fantastic. I also put just a bit of maple syrup on the salmon before grilling it. I thought it sounded odd at first too, and I generally do NOT like savory dishes with sweetness added, but the maple syrup flavor is quite subtle and delicious. It even makes a little bit of a crust on the salmon. Drool...

This one of my favorites.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    mix brown sugar and dijon mustard together
    top the salmon with mixture
    bake
    enjoy

also, cedar plank salmon is a favorite of mine, with a sweet chipotle BBQ
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Let me preface this post by saying that I have tried salmon several different ways and I cannot stand it. It is way too fishy for my taste. I like some fish/seafood like shrimp, talapia, catfish, amberjack and snapper. My wife's coworker suggested we try frozen wild salmon, and that it doesn't taste fishy. Just wondering who had a recipe that I might try...

Eat the fish you like. You don't have to force yourself to eat salmon if you don't enjoy it.