I miss munching, what are some no calorie foods

Replies

• EvetteM41
    EvetteM41 Posts: 76 Member
    You can make your own veggie chips. Not calorie free. But still crunchy and without the hidden salt or fat. :)
    I am a chip freak. I love crunchy stuff. Forgive me if this doesnt show up right. I don't know how to do everything on MFP yet.
    http://www.chow.com/food-news/80400/make-your-own-veggie-chips/
  • some of the small rice cakes cure my need to crunch!
  • AlliecoreXX
    AlliecoreXX Posts: 78 Member
    Pickles make me happy.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    eat more calories dense high protein foods during your meal and you wont need to munch
  • Rocket leaves . very low on calories
  • They are negative calorie foods in that your body uses more calories to burn and digest than they have in them.
  • When i want a tasty snack i usually will eat white cheddar rice cakes ! they are pretty filling and only 45 calories!
  • yasminortiz
    yasminortiz Posts: 6 Member
    Try making dips w nonfat greek yogurt,
    try stuffing the dip into poblano peppers,
    roasting it in the oven, (it kinda tastes like jalepeno poppers)
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    I always bring low calorie raw vegetables to work for that munching desire I get somewhere around mid-afternoon. I have a rotation of: celery, cucumbers, sugar snap peas, & red, yellow or orange peppers. You can eat a good amount of any of those for about 35 calories. I like to pair these with a wedge of Laughing Farms light cheese (25 calories).
  • michaelalouise3915
    michaelalouise3915 Posts: 124 Member
    Freeze some low sugar cordial juice with water, and have an ice pop :)
  • marcuscross104
    marcuscross104 Posts: 57 Member
    Pork skins are low in calories, and have almost no carbs. Surprisingly healthy
  • FunnyBunnyHunny
    FunnyBunnyHunny Posts: 102 Member
    Baby spinach leaves and pretend they're potato chips. My bff always gets a kick out of that one. :p
  • RhiannonLeighh
    RhiannonLeighh Posts: 46 Member
    If your eating a serve of protein with each meal, you shouldn't feel like munching so much.
    And negative calorie foods are a myth.
    You could go for all the previously mentioned foods, which are pretty much high water content fruits and veges, which are a healthy option. Just watch the fructose content of some fruits; watermelon and pineapple for example have a very high GI.
    OR
    You could just try and replace your unhealthy cravings with healthy ones.
    chocolate - sugar free hot chocolate, carob, chocolate flavored protein snacks (make sure they're low sugar)
    pasta/bread/carbs - salt reduced rice crackers, wholemeal crackers, choose pitta or naan before normal bread. If you have to eat carbs, make sure they are WHOLEGRAIN!
    fatty junk food - choose a sandwich, sushi, salad instead.

Pretty much good munching foods should be high in protein and low GI.
    - almonds, pecans, cashews, macadamias etc. Make sure the nuts you get are unsalted.
    - eggs are pure protein. A boiled egg with pepper, curry powder or fat free mayo are great snacks.
    - natural yoghurt, flavoured with a small spoon of honey, cinnamon or fresh fruit. None of that 'yoplait' or 'skii' stuff, look for a locally made REAL yoghurt. Is thicker, creamier, tastier and better for you.
    - tuna (any fish, really) low in fat, omega oils, comes in a variety of flavours and snack sized tins.
    - cup-a-soup. Little nutritional value, but I find them quite filling and low cal. Just check the salt content.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    ice.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Foods that SUPPOSEDLY burn more calories than they have;

celery
    oranges
    strawberries
    tangerines
    grapefruit
    carrots
    apricots
    lettuce
    tomatoes
    cucumbers
    watermelon
    cauliflower
    apples
    hot chili pepper
    zucchini

Personally, I believe the celery, lettuce and chili peppers, but everything else?
    Yeah no.
    \\
    Bump... pure bunk.
    A tangerine is 50 calories for goodness sakes!
    Try drinking tea.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    There are some very low calorie foods...Claussen pickle spears have 5 cals apiece....raw peleed cucumbers have 15 cals per cup...sugar free jello has 20 calories per cup...grape tomatoes have 30 cals per cup...green peppers are the same...there are a few ideas for you.
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Classic (non-tofu) Shirataki noodles are a non-calorie food. They have zero calories per bag. Not very nutritious though. I just use them as an emergency item when i need to eat a HUGE amount of something vaguely nooodle-y. The tofu ones only have 20 or so calories per bag, too.

I munch on bags full of broccoli heads. They do have calories but not very many at all (you'd have to eat an awful lot of broccoli to really make a dent) and they are VERY nutritious.
    I just got used to snacking on them like chips. I cut off the heads, wash well, and put them in ziploc baggies.
    Peppers, baby kale and carrots serve a similar function (though carrots have a few more cals).
    If you really hate the taste of having them with NO DRESSING (that part is important), just spray with olive oil flavored cooking spray and salt and pepper.

Apples are great they really fill you up.

Laughing Cow light cheese is only 35 per wedge. Not no calorie exactly but you can eat a lot and not do a lot of damage.

All of that said, it's sometimes thE higher calorie foods that fill you up more, like almonds or mozzarella cheese. I totally binge on almonds almost daily (though you do have to watch how many you eat, they are up there) and it hasn't affected my weight loss or maintenance at all (though i stayed under my calorie goals when i needed to). Make yourself a big omelet with two eggs and two egg whites, a couple oz of cheese and some veg, it will fill you up and you'll be surprised how many calories you havent eaten.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    If you're hungry all the time, you may be dehydrated or protein deficient.

People often confuse thirst for hunger. Try bumping up your protein count, and drinking a couple extra glasses of water. You may find you're not so munchy all the time after all.

PS: there is no such thing as a "no calorie food."
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Try tea. I love drinking tea in between meals. No calorie, super tasty and its actually good for you. Everything else has calories. If you need a low calorie snack try any type of berries.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Apple and 10 g peanut butter ... yummy crunchy and less that 150cals