When do squats start becoming effecive?

Options

Replies

• Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    They become effective when you stop being scared of the weights and start lifting heavy.
    Who the hell do you think you are? You know nothing about me apart from what i've written here about squats...you have no idea what my workout looks like.
    You are afraid to squat with a barbell=afraid of the weights. They were correct

FYI - I don't lift heavy either. I'm NOT afraid of the weight. I have a recognized medical condition and previous injury that seriously affects my range of motion. I'm NOT lifting something free-form that's going to injure myself. If I want to go heavier than I'm comfortable on a freeweight, I use a machine. That way, I don't have to worry about dropping something on my toes if my shoulder won't move it into place properly.

At my gym (and potentially at yours, OP) you may have a one-day-with-a-trainer program, where the trainer basically walks you around, shows you how to do the exercises properly. I wasn't able to use a barbell either for squats, but he DID teach me to balance using handweights. So I try to use a kettlebell, or a pair of dumbells. It's just easier for me because of my shoulder.

Trainers are generally familiar with many more exercises than we. Especially when we're new to a weightloss or fitness routine. I'd say spend a couple of dollars on a day with a trainer. It's cheaper than you think, and you may be given some ideas to target the areas that YOU specifically want to change. Online... people's tips & advice about what exercises you should try can only go so far. They DON'T know you... they don't know anything about you.

For me? Chatting with Nyrton at the gym was the BEST thing that I could have done for my body.
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    Decrease your reps to 6-12 and increase your weight... Try doing squats on a bosu to improve your balance.
    Why on earth would you recommend that someone who can't squat on a stable surface try squatting on an unstable surface?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would reduce frequency to 2-3 times/week max, and to increase the weight.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    People telling the OP to squat on BOSU balls and use the Smith machine do not know what they are talking about. You will injure yourself even more doing these things! Horrible advice. Please don't take it - especially about squatting heavy on a bosu ball :noway:
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    If you can squat " hugging " a plate. I would try front squats with a barbell.

This. Front squats give me more of a soreness with less weight than back squats and are easier on the back. Also, 4 times a week may be too much. That means with at least 1 of your squat days you get no rest day between the lest squat day.
  • Rays_Wife
    Options
    Decrease your reps to 6-12 and increase your weight... Try doing squats on a bosu to improve your balance.
    Why on earth would you recommend that someone who can't squat on a stable surface try squatting on an unstable surface?

BINGO!
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

exactly. Maybe try some bodyweight squats on one of those to improve balance but definitely not with weight.
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • carlwhitley
    Options
    Just to weigh in and add support to people who have advised to pick up the barbell.

Feet at shoulder width, keep the knees tracking in a straight line (look in the mirror whilst squatting - that's what it's there for).

Squat barefoot if possible, or in shoes that are flat and non-supportive if your gym doesn't like barefoot/in socks.

Don't worry about very deep squatting. Aim for the thighs to break parallel with the floor, then return. If you can do 10 without breaking form, then the weight isn't enough.

Don't worry about muscular bulking (hypertrophy), even with a small creatine dosage. You'll only put on muscle if you're eating lots of protein, you're in calorie surplus and you have a dip in oestrogen levels/rise in testosterone levels.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options

Because when we put ourselves in unstable environments we learn balance. I'm not saying put 100 lbs on ur shoulders, step on an unstable surface and drop your butt to the ground.

Stand on the bosu, find your balance. Lower your butt until you can squat with full balance.. Your body will adapt to the environment that it is put in. Add a little weight and do it again, and watch your balance improve.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Sorry, haven't read through the responses so this probably has already been said:

Learn to Barbell Squat CORRECTLY. Find a good trainer to teach you proper form. If you don't have that option, start with something super light like a 10 lb bar or even a broomstick and work on form. With enough practice the balance will come. In fact, you'll probably find it's easier to balance with some weight on your back.

Learn proper squat depth-to at least parallel, preferably below. Anything higher and you risk knee injury. Also, the higher you squat the less your hamstrings and glutes are involved.
  • Rays_Wife
    Options
    stupid_zps5022ecf7.jpg

Yeah, let's just have her try this while we're at it :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That should end well...
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    stupid_zps5022ecf7.jpg

Yeah, let's just have her try this while we're at it :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That should end well...

Right, cuz that's what I said. o_O
  • Rays_Wife
    Options

Right, cuz that's what I said. o_O

Sorry, that's just the first thing that popped in my head when you said "squat with a bosu ball".

I know you didn't mean huge heavy weights, but I think someone should master balance on a stable surface before they try an unstable one.
  • Charles4Jesus
    Charles4Jesus Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If you "hug" a plate, Then I recommend Front squats. I prefer front squats anyway.

Other ideas have already been suggested, but you could also try:sandbag(s), kettlebells and/or dumbells.

All that being said, Squats become effective when you get off the couch and actually do them. If you were just doing "air" squats (without any weight) it is helping.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all 3 pages.

1. Wear flat shoes, or go barefoot.
    2. Try doing goblet squats with more weight.
    3. Rep range should be between 5-10.

Unfortunately I believe Front squats/goblet squats focus on different muscles?
    Also leg position affects which muscles are recruited.

Angling your feet out at 30 degrees and letting your knees track outwards should help also.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Because when we put ourselves in unstable environments we learn balance. I'm not saying put 100 lbs on ur shoulders, step on an unstable surface and drop your butt to the ground.

Stand on the bosu, find your balance. Lower your butt until you can squat with full balance.. Your body will adapt to the environment that it is put in. Add a little weight and do it again, and watch your balance improve.

Bosu balls are great for balance, but I think her issue is more related to form than balance. She won't see great results in her glutes, or quads with a bosu ball, as she would be forced to go lighter than she is already going.

An olympic barbell weighs about 45 lbs. That may be too much weight for her to squat, right now. Dumbells, or barbells that are a little lower in weight may be used if she can't keep her balance once she has learned proper form. I would recommend reading starting strength, and/or watching some videos on proper squat technique. Her shoes could also be a factor in losing her balance. When I was using my cross trainers, I fell forward a lot, too.
  • scottdeeby
    scottdeeby Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    People telling the OP to squat on BOSU balls and use the Smith machine do not know what they are talking about. You will injure yourself even more doing these things! Horrible advice. Please don't take it - especially about squatting heavy on a bosu ball :noway:

yup. I'd go beyond this and say that even non-humans giving this advice should be ignored.
  • EKN1417
    EKN1417 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I tried to read over everything on the last 3 pages. I didn't see anyone mention this, but coudl have missed it.

Anyway, if you are having problems balancing during BB squats the culprit could likely be poor core strenght. One of the BEST things about BB squats is that even though they are a lower body lift, they are essentially a full-body movement.

For that reason, BB squats are not directly transferable from other squat types- front squats, smith squats, goblet squats, etc. They will hit the same muscles, but improving one does not necessarilly mean you will imrpove the other.

My advice- deload to just the bar. Squat as far down as you can until you are able to maintain your balance. Do this each workout until you can squat to parraellell. No need to go ATG for now- save that for when you have more strenght and balance to do with a BB. Then add weight slowly.

You'll likely feel it with the BB. Even an empty BB is a lot more weight than you are squatting now. If not, be patient and build up your stabilizing muscles until you can add on more weight. Then you'll be feeling it for sure.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Increase the weight and do 3x5. Increase the weight by 5 or 10 lbs each session. Look into a structured program, like Starting Strength.