jealous of people who take diet pills

Options

Replies

• dgljones
    Options
    Most 'diet pills' are outright shams. The few that are effective tend to disappear fast as they get removed because they have various health risks. Once upon a time 'diet pills' meant 'speed', which actually worked. Try asking for that at a health store now.
  • toxicstarvation
    Options
    those pills are so bad for you. the risk of stroke or heart issues is higher than anyone should be comfortable with.
  • RMNPHike
    RMNPHike Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You know there have to be some long-term bad effects from these things. They are such a temporary fix and it's so lazy!!! You have lost 107 pounds on your own and have less than 50 to go. Holy Wow!! Do you realize how rare that is? I have a friend who opted to have surgery instead of doing it the hard way, the slow way, like you're doing it. He persuaded a couple of other people to do the same. They regretted it after they realized that what they really needed to do was change their mind. Neither of them got down to their goal weight as a result of the surgery, because they didn't change their habits. You are amazing and you should be proud that you are doing what is better in the long run, even though it's so much harder.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I was taking l-carnitine for a little while because from my reading, I thought it would be a slight (emphasis on slight) aid to burning fat. Theoretically, it helps release some energy from fat that can be usable for exercise. But here's the thing. Without a good diet and regular exercise, it does nothing. And when one has a good diet and regularly exercises, then one really doesn't need to take it.

I took it for a month and I've been off of it for a month, and I'm still losing fat at about the same clip. So my conclusion is that if it did help, it was a very tiny benefit - and not worth the $$.

My $.02 (for what it's worth, ha!)
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    Most of those pills just contain a boatload of caffeine. You could get a very similar effect drinking a pot of coffee before you workout. Believe me, they won't make *that* much of a difference.
  • Deemom8
    Options
    About 3 years ago now, my doctor prescribed Phentermine to me to help me lose weight. I lost almost 30 lbs and looked great. I didn't feel hungry so obviously I ate less. After getting off the pills and my appetite coming back, surprise, I gained the weight back. The pills made me extremely dry mouthed and at times my fingers and toes were tingly. I can't believe a doctor would prescribe something so obviously bad.............The only correct way to become fit and healthy and lose the pounds is to eat the right foods and exercise. Don't be jealous at all. The results will more than likely not last when you take some sort of pill. Stick with what you know has worked for you. You have done it the correct way !!!! Be proud. They should be the ones jealous of all your hard work !
  • cedman1
    cedman1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    While some of these have their place and will work if the nutrition and exercise is where it needs to be typically, the side effects and/or price may not justify the final outcome. If your in this for your life and not a contest or fat cutting situation, I would stick with what your comfortable doing. BTW, you've done excellent.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    lol just take them.if your jealous . some of them obviously work

tumblr_m7twlbHsfe1qcg8eu.gif

Haha, this made me laugh out loud.

:laugh:
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'll be upfront with this: I'm on Phentermine.

Now that everyone knows, let me say this: On these diet pills, I have binged. I have literally sat down with a small pizza and ate the whole damn thing. Phentermine and ALL diet pills do NOT make you lose weight! All they do is stop you from feeling hunger pains.

I have started skipping the pills on the weekends. Why? Because all they are is a crutch my doctor put me on to help me with the process. I don't need them, and I know there will come a day that I won't be on them at all. I spend the weekend listening to my body and eating when I'm hungry....the natural way. My food diary is wide open to anyone interested. Actually, I suppose I'm under calories for the amount of exercise I did. I'm working on this.

Here's the thing: The people on here saying "this is a quick fix" and "the people that take diet pills will gain it all back" are wrong. I'm working my *kitten* off, and paying attention to everything I put in my mouth, and the amount of effort I put into my exercise. What will change when I stop the pills? Not a damn thing. I'm not losing any faster than anyone else. 21 lbs. in two months is not an excessive amount of weight to lose, considering there was substantial water weight loss in the beginning.

I'm not trying to lose 100 lbs. in 6 months....or even a year. I've been morbidly obese nearly all my life, and I don't care if I only lose one tenth of a pound every month...at least it's going in the right direction....which means I'm doing SOMETHING right. I'm fighting for my health, and I don't have any bad reactions to Phentermine. EKG is perfect. BP was 110/78 the last time I was at the doctor. All my labs came back GREAT, including liver/kidney function, cholesterol is excellent...etc.

If anyone thinks my path towards health is easier than theirs... they are wrong. I'm working just as hard as everyone else.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Bleh. don't be jealous, my mom took them for awhile and I tried them as a teenager because they were around and seemed 'easy' (I didn't need them, but what the hell. FOR SCIENCE!) and they were really not fun. They made her grouchy and I could see why, super-high-heartrate, felt like a panic attack, feelings of anxiety, lightheaded, made my stomach hurt (and that was the minimum dose)...yuck, no thanks.
  • tracilahart
    Options
    I think there is a big difference between people who take prescribed (hopefully) phentermine and other prescription drugs and those who take supplements (vitamins or amino acids, omega 3-6-9, etc.) such as Advocare or other brands utilize. I don't know that those are some sort of unfair advantage. Having taken phenfluorimine back in the mid-90's- I can tell you that while I LOVED the hyped up feeling- I had no appetite and wasn't getting near the nutrition I needed. Eating a clean and balanced diet (be it "clean" or "paleo") that is primarily free of sugar as well as fried and processed foods is your best bet. We all, by human nature, have ":holes" in our nutrition. Having good supplements (NOT unneccessary ones) from a reputable company to compliment and complete our nutritional needs will, by nature allow our bodies to do what they are meant to do which is, hopefully, to get itself to a healthy weight (a setpoint if you will.) As in everything, it is about moderation. I am not a big fan of medications but am also not averse to natural, medically sound and developed sup[lements being used in certain situations."
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Don't be jealous OP, you'll have something to be proud of and they won't becauce you did it yourself plus you'll be healthier. Your liver alone will thank you.
  • dallas4u
    Options
    Well, who knows the long term damage those pills and formulas can really cause. Remember Fen-phen? I would rather lose weight the slow, hard way than tamper with supplements with unknown contents.

Will you be jealous if the people you envy need a heart or kidney transplant as the result of damage done?
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Be the person today that your future self will thank.

And the person you are today should be an inspiration to the person you were 107 pounds ago :wink:
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Well the thing is in my university years when I used to do party drugs like every weekend I was in fact less than a 100 pounds but let's just say amphetamine spinoffs and ephedrine gets your body wasted (bone density, heartbeat, teeth, blood pressure) .-- so just because they label them diet pills these will still be heavy drugs that simulate the brain in the wrong ways.
    How could it be normal not to be hungry for 4 days please tell me?

And they may not be on the illegal drug list in the U.S. but in my country, ALL of them are banned.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, I dropped 40 pounds the summer after high school taking pills and i DID keep it off. (Until I got pregnant later in life and was not well informed that you ONLY have to eat 500 extra calories and NOT really enough for 2 people as my ex-husbands family had me believing=/) However, I was also living with my mom eating right and walking hours a day because our town was small and there was nothing to do. So in hind sight, I can see that it probably wasn't the pills but the walking and eating habits....
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Wow, you should be proud of how much you have lost! And you've done it the right way, you've learned to fuel your body correctly. In the long run, you'll be better off...so when they're wait comes creeping back up when they come off those pills, they're going to be the ones jealous when they have to start over again!
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous of people who can grow their own veggies, I've tried and they die. Also jealous of teenagers who can live off crap food and be skinny and "perky" but what can ya do?

Oh well, try not to worry about what other people are doing and just focus on your own success. 100+ lbs lost is no small feat especially if you did it the hard way. I do like telling people when they ask how I lost the weight "just diet and exercise" they look so sad because it wasn't some sort of magic ;)

I have this same jealousy about veggies or plants in general... lol I'm a plant killer! I had tomatoes and strawberries last year.... yeah... the produce didn't pay for the plants.
  • ghostdivatonya
    ghostdivatonya Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I take them and I am not dropping weight like most people. I have PCOS insulin resistance and a VERY low metabolism. I take Phentermine and just feel "normal" ... I could not imagine not having the low metabolism or other issues taking it. It would make me feel all tweaked out. I am losing at a normal/steady pace. Those that lose it so fast WILL gain it back unless they are working out like banshees.
  • AshyyMM
    AshyyMM Posts: 131
    Options
    Ok, I have been dealing with something for a while now and I just need a little kick in the rear so I can try to stop feeling this way. So many people around me are taking diet pills, such as Phentermine, Thinogenics, and drinking Plexus and Advocare drinks. They are losing weight so quickly. I know that it's not a race to lose weight, but I am working SOOO hard and not having the same results they are. These products are expensive and I really can't afford them, but I think if I could I would. I'm jealous and I get angry when people sell and take these products because I know there's a better way, but I am so tempted to take them myself or yell at the pill pushers!

Remember when you lost 108lbs clearly not using that!!..
    Your weight is more likely to stay off if you continue on the path you are going... your results may not be as fast as theirs...but atleast you know you are more likely to keep it off because you wont have to take pills to maintain it..
    the truth always stays this.. "You didn't take a pill to gain the weight, so why take one to lose it"
    Be proud of the results you have doing it your way! :)