NOOO! They arrived!

Options

Replies

• livelaughlove384
    Options
    Find an organization that sends care packages to the troops or something, feeling good about a good deed is SO much better than how good samoas taste!

i was going to say the same thing!
  • bluemoon551
    bluemoon551 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Mmmm... frozen thin mints.
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    IMO I WOULD SKIP THE GIRL SCOUT COOKIES! Donate them to the local food bank,

I thought the same thing!

If you struggle with it, what about handing it to a hungry homeless person yourself.
    Seeing the joy and appreciation in their face makes it easier. :)
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    This is brilliant! I was torn about buying any, because I want to support girl scouts, but don't want
    the cookies in my house.
    Once I have one, I won't stop.
    I'm going to buy some with the intention of giving them away.
    Maybe Safe Nest...
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'll PM you my address...ship 'em out tomorrow!! :)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    So, I have a crisis. I started my keto diet about a month ago and before then, I ordered Girl Scout cookies. Unfortunately, I just got them in today and I'm so sad. Who can resist samoas?! I can't :( if any of you aren't familiar with keto, your body stays in the ketosis state, which uses fat instead of carbs for energy. If I eat too many carbs or sugar, my body kicks me out of ketosis. Should I do a cheat day and start keto all over again? :(

I'm hoping you realize that running off fats instead of carbs doesn't mean you can't get fat...No matter what you eat if you don't burn it off, it's stored. So personally, I don't see the point of the ketosis thing? I'd eat the cookies. Haven't hurt me yet.
  • suey07
    suey07 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    So, I have a crisis. I started my keto diet about a month ago and before then, I ordered Girl Scout cookies. Unfortunately, I just got them in today and I'm so sad. Who can resist samoas?! I can't :( if any of you aren't familiar with keto, your body stays in the ketosis state, which uses fat instead of carbs for energy. If I eat too many carbs or sugar, my body kicks me out of ketosis. Should I do a cheat day and start keto all over again? :(

I'm hoping you realize that running off fats instead of carbs doesn't mean you can't get fat...No matter what you eat if you don't burn it off, it's stored. So personally, I don't see the point of the ketosis thing? I'd eat the cookies. Haven't hurt me yet.

Yeah, at first I was a bit hesitant on it but it does work. Here's something I pulled up that gives more scientific info about the keto diet. The keto diet was made for people with epilepsy but changed up a bit for dieters.

"When you eat carbs your blood glucose level is raised and your pancreas secretes insulin. This insulin puts your muscle and fat cells into “storage mode”. Your fat cells store away the glucose as triglycerides. Insulin also prevents your fat cells from breaking down those triglycerides back into fatty acids and releasing them into your blood stream for use as energy. This is important: Insulin both causes fat absorption and prevents fat from being used as energy.

If you were to eat sugary snacks throughout the day you are keeping your insulin level high which constantly keeps your fat cells in a state of absorption and prevents the release of fat and its use as energy.

Eating fat and protein does very little to raise your insulin level.

So the bottom line here is, if you want your body to burn fat – meaning if you want your fat cells to break down triglycerides into fatty acids, release them into your blood stream and actually use them as energy – you need to keep your insulin level as low and absolutely avoid spikes in insulin."
  • Pintsoflove
    Pintsoflove Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Find an organization that sends care packages to the troops or something, feeling good about a good deed is SO much better than how good samoas taste!

This! The appreciation and joy they would get out of a box of Girl Scout cookies would far outweigh the short-lived pleasure I would get out of eating them. Not to mention I would immediately be thinking about how much exercise I would have to do to work them off.
  • fortunafitgoddess
    Options

I love that idea!! Thanks for posting!
  • ShmareParks
    ShmareParks Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Send them to me AT ONCE. It's for your own good.
  • huuxue
    huuxue Posts: 23
    Options
    sending it to troops is brilliant, I'm sure troops out there have little girls who are girlscouts :) a great sentimental thing
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options

this is a GREAT idea! overseas troops would really appreciate something so familar from home
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Yeah, at first I was a bit hesitant on it but it does work. Here's something I pulled up that gives more scientific info about the keto diet. The keto diet was made for people with epilepsy but changed up a bit for dieters.

"When you eat carbs your blood glucose level is raised and your pancreas secretes insulin. This insulin puts your muscle and fat cells into “storage mode”. Your fat cells store away the glucose as triglycerides. Insulin also prevents your fat cells from breaking down those triglycerides back into fatty acids and releasing them into your blood stream for use as energy. This is important: Insulin both causes fat absorption and prevents fat from being used as energy.

If you were to eat sugary snacks throughout the day you are keeping your insulin level high which constantly keeps your fat cells in a state of absorption and prevents the release of fat and its use as energy.

Eating fat and protein does very little to raise your insulin level.

So the bottom line here is, if you want your body to burn fat – meaning if you want your fat cells to break down triglycerides into fatty acids, release them into your blood stream and actually use them as energy – you need to keep your insulin level as low and absolutely avoid spikes in insulin."
    You quoted something but didn't leave the link?

If you are on a calorie deficit, you cannot gain weight...or fat...or protein...You're on a deficit, you are only losing and you can only lose what you already have. It really doesn't matter if someone tells you your fat cells are in the mood to store. You're on a calorie restriction, they wont. Insulin spikes are not the devil, and they certainly do not make you fat.

It really is worth going to this site and busting some myths about the low carb thing:

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
    Lipolysis-Lipogenesis1.png
    *img to large for screen, worth dragging to new window to get his point or visiting the link* "After meals, fat is deposited with the help of insulin. However, between meals and during sleep, fat is lost. Fat balance will be zero over a 24-hour period if energy intake matches energy expenditure."

"He's right on the money. Studies show similar weight loss with widely varying levels of insulin and there is no evidence for high insulin causing weight gain. Weight gain and overeating causes high insulin, not the other way around. Some people in the low carb camp seems to believe otherwise, despite no evidence." "Over a week or so, someone on a high-protein diet will always look better than someone on a high-carbohydrate diet, simply because of dehydration. When a similar study was conducted several years later, researchers found that after about three weeks--when the effects of dehydration had evened out--the weight loss on the two diets was virtually identical. " http://www.leangains.com/2010/06/malcolm-gladwell-on-low-carb-diets.html

*is writing this while eating a pastry wrapped curry chicken while having a body fat in the teens*
  • PamGeirng
    PamGeirng Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You have worked to hard to give in now! Get the temptation out of your house while you have a chance :)
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    This is brilliant! I was torn about buying any, because I want to support girl scouts, but don't want
    the cookies in my house.
    Once I have one, I won't stop.
    I'm going to buy some with the intention of giving them away.
    Maybe Safe Nest...

My daughter is a Girl Scout and each troop has an organization that they choose to donate cookies. You can purchase the cookies and the troop will send the cookies for you.

Edited to add: I am having the temptation attacks too. Could be because I have hundreds of boxes at my house at the moment..lol! :sad: :laugh:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    You can't do keto forever and the cookies aren't going to go bad quickly. Just hide them in the back of your pantry and bring them out when you're done.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

This is an awesome suggestion :)

your local military family resource centre
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd drop the whole keto BS and just eat normal foods. Life's too short to deprive yourself of Girl Scout cookies.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I can. Never got into girl scout cookies actually. If you don't feel like it'll de-rail you and you won't kick yourself later for having some, then go for it. Life's too short. If you will be ticked at yourself later for having some of the cookies, then don't do it.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat a cookie, or two then be all means do.

It's won't hurt your progress to any significant degree, keto or no keto, unless it then causes you to binge.

I promise.