Help-my workout clothes are putrid!

Options
2»

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I just throw a small scoop of OxyClean detergent in with each load and it keeps the smell out as well as doing a great job on keeping sweat stains from setting.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas, so I completely know what you mean.

Definitely ditch the fabric softener. It is the worst thing ever for trapping smells in.

If they are light colored (ie bleachable) clothes soak in straight 3% peroxide (added bonus is it will usually get sweat stains out).

If they are darker colored clothes, sprinkle liberally with baking soda then pour on the vinegar. Yes it needs to be an over-sized bucket to soak, this will cause a chemical foaming reaction, but it does a great job of removing odors. I have had a few clothes this has ruined, but if you are only planning to throw them away anyway, baking soda and vinegar are cheap, and you aren't risking anything.

Then wash as usual. From then on just add vinegar to the wash. And I'll agree with another poster, if you aren't washing them immediately, make sure the clothes don't just get dumped in the hamper, hand up to air dry till washing.
  • squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem too. So embarrassing. Since it's never been a problem before, and my friend has the same issue, I think it has to do with the water quality itself. My friend uses a sports wash, but it's spendy. The only thing that has worked for me is to always use white vinegar as the rinse agent, instead of fabric softener and to gather up the offending items and soak them for a while in a few cups of vinegar before washing. The soaking is what finally killed the stench.
  • phdiva12
    phdiva12 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    So this would be an embarassing problem if not for the fact that the horrible smell coming from my workout clothes is evidence that I'm working my a** off, right? I think that I might be time to just throw some of them away, especially my shirts. However, I wanted to get your advice first. I use Tide Sport, the new laundry pellets, and fabric softener sheets. This seems to get most of the stinch out, but there's still some odor left. I heard that adding baking soda and vinegar helps. What's your opinion? What has worked best for you? How long do you keep your workout clothes, before you accept defeat and throw in the sweaty towel?

Add a tbsp of Washing Soda (sodium carbonate) to your wash cycle and then add vinegar to your rinse. I would ditch the softener as it may coat your clothes in stuff that will prevent water from passing through. I bought a couple of shirts from brooks that have soemthing in them to prevent stink and it actually works.

Thanks! Can't wait to get home and try. Although, I think I will have to invest in some of the stink-reducing clothing-lol!
  • phdiva12
    phdiva12 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem too. So embarrassing. Since it's never been a problem before, and my friend has the same issue, I think it has to do with the water quality itself. My friend uses a sports wash, but it's spendy. The only thing that has worked for me is to always use white vinegar as the rinse agent, instead of fabric softener and to gather up the offending items and soak them for a while in a few cups of vinegar before washing. The soaking is what finally killed the stench.

Thank you- it seems like vinegar and/or baking soda is the best way to go!
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    My workout clothing goes straight into the machine when I get home from the gym, a 40C wash with no chemicals or cleaners most of the time then a full wash with powder/liquid every few weeks, I do have enough gear for 4 days which gets rotated.

Andy
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Plain white vinegar added to the rinse cycle should help. And no...it make your clothes smell like vinegar :smile:
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Are they dri-fit aka wicking sweat workout clothes? If so fabric softener will worsen the smell. It coats the fabric fibers sealing in the stink.

I didn't know this! Thanks! :)
  • mcsweetly
    mcsweetly Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good tip. I am actually going to try that on my hubby's towels!