Anxiety Disorders Anyone?

Options
I think I may have an anxiety disorder. I know to get this properly diagnosed I will need to see a doctor, but in the meantime I'm wondering if anyone who has dealt with anxiety might have some feedback or advice on how to handle the constant worrying and apprehension?

Basically, I have a constant feeling of unease, like a general apprehension all day, everyday, and I cannot figure out WHAT I am anxious about. It fluctuates during the day and I can be fine one minute, then suddenly so overcome with a feeling of dread that I have to stop what I'm doing and make myself calm down. The thing is, I always start racking my brain trying to figure out what I am worrying about, and I always think if I figure out the cause, the worry will go away, but it never does.

So then, when I have something specifically causing me to stress, the feelings are amplified, until whenever that cause of worry is gone or over, but the feeling doesn't really go away, it just lessens a bit.

For a little while I thought I might be depressed, but it didn't seem right because generally I am happy, with an undercurrent of constant apprehension... if that makes any sense?

I should maybe add, my grandfather was a constant worrier, and my mom now is too, she's pretty extreme, like if you don't answer the phone she thinks you have died. I don't want to get that bad... but I am starting to notice it getting worse...like if say I text my friend, and she doesn't answer right away, I assume she's mad at me, even though I know I haven't done anything, and the fear is completely unbased. Or when I'm trying to get to sleep, I start obsessing over everything I haven't done yet in life, and start getting so scared and upset that I'm not on the right track and I'm running out of time... like, I'm not even 30, I shouldn't be so scared about my life and that I don't have everything figured out yet....

Anyway, I will make an appointment to see a professional, but I am just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to handle the anxiety? I don't want to go on meds, but if I have to I will.... I don't think it's to that point yet, most days....

Replies

• themutineer
    themutineer Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    There are some changes you can make to your diet and lifestyle that may provide you some benefit.

Cut out as much caffeine, sugar, and processed foods as you are comfortable with.
    For example, if you have three cups of coffee a day, try to scale back to two, then one, and then see if you can ditch it for good.
    Go for green tea if you really need a boost in your mornings and can't imagine giving up coffee.
    Try calming herbal teas like chamomile, valerian, and kava to relax the nervous system.
    Try taking supplements - Magnesium, melatonin, valerian, 5htp+, etc.
    Magnesium and Melatonin can be found in abundance in a variety of whole foods like bananas, almonds, & green leafy veggies.
    Find a calming ritual that works for you - meditation, yoga, journaling, reading, going for a walk, taking a bath, etc.
    Aromatherapy using essential oils like lavender, sandalwood, and ylang-ylang.

As always, seeing a qualified expert in the matter is best - I've seen a number of Psychologists, Naturopaths, and Physicians over the last few years to tailor a program that works for me. It's a lot of daily upkeep, but it's totally worth it.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    *Raises hand* mainly a health anxiety, my advise is this, see a doctor and get him/her to refer you to a cognitive behavioural therapist. Or read a self cbt book if you feel too anxious to open up to your doctor.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Health anxiety here, I have been suffering in a world of hypochondria for around 25 years...I remember the day like it was yesterday, screaming to my mum "my veins look weird" at 6 years old...since then, in my mind, I have contracted and had supposed symptoms of everything!
    I have been to a therapist and after 25 years I am starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

The ironic thing is...other than surgery for an ectopic pregnancy, I've never been ill, not even the flu :noway:
  • NatWillBeSkinny
    NatWillBeSkinny Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i have anxiety its horrible i was on medication for depression and anxiety for a year and took myself off them, i do feel ok now but i still feel the anxiety at times
  • SadieToughLady
    Options
    I suggest you see a psychologist. I have anxiety and was diagnosed with PTSD 7 years ago. Anxiety also runs in my family on both sides. Anxiety is something that can be dealt with and managed. You don't have to live like this. See someone.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I have and sometimes still do suffer from anxiety. First off.. .do not be afraid to go see your Dr... Mine has given me meds to control it. My anxiety was so severe that I would worry myself sick. Like throwing up sick. I would worry about money, bills, my relationship with my husband, my family ect. I would lay in bed at night and have full blown panic attacks because I would think about everything at bedtime. So here is what I have done before, when either I did not have meds or I wanted to try to calm myself before resorting to the meds. My mom told me these things because she also suffers from severe anxiety.

1. Try to get as warm as possible... to relax you. get under your covers on your bed or a heating blanket. Or put on some warm clothes.
    2. If you are anxious every night when you are laying in bed trying to sleep... try reading until you are too tired or until your mind is clear. I started reading every night and it puts your focus on your book plot instead of whatever you are worrying about. I read until I am dozing off and then I sleep good.

I sure hope this helps you... I know the frustration that goes with anxiety. I started having anxiety in high school, but was in my mid to late 20's before I went to the Dr for help.
  • huuxue
    huuxue Posts: 23
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with panic disorder. I'm glad you're seeing a proffessional and if it's really a problem they'll get you some medication. Cutting out caffeine and sugary foods should help. I would see a pschiatrist for the sake of medication and a psychologist to understand the emotional part. It seems quite physical and genetic but it's always worth understanding.
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    YES! I have major anxiety issues. I'm increasing up to maintenance now and I'm having panic attacks ect.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I have PTSD but it's a lot better these days. what helped:

- therapy with someone who knows what they're doing. try to get someone who has experience treating the condition that you have, not just general experience with therapy etc. some, including PTSD, can be made worse by therapists if they don't know what they're doing. It's better to find someone who's trained and experienced in the condition that you have

- very strenuous exercise - this only relieves the symptoms of anxiety, not the cause, but it is really effective at that. In my experience it has to be really strenuous, e.g. weightlifting to failure or very intense cardio. Gentle exercise can help too, but not as much. Better than nothing though. I'll forego rest days for my mental health, if need be.

- good nutrition - the brain needs carbohydrate and fat, and the healthy ones. Lack of healthy fat can make all kinds of mental health problems worse. The brain needs a lot of fat to function. Low blood sugar can make anxiety a lot worse, and some people with anxiety disorders (myself included) experience worsening or reappearence of anxiety symptoms from low carb diets and intermittent fasting. Personally, I don't go there with that, I eat 4-7 smallish meals a day and always eat a decent meal after exercise. Also pay attention to getting enough micronutrients, as deficiencies in some can affect mental health. Fat soluble vitamins especially.

- get enough sunlight and vitamin D. vitamin D seems to have a role in mental health and deficiency can cause depression and anxiety. consider taking a supplement if you can't get enough sunlight for your skin to make adequate vitamin D. You can get some vitamin D from diet, it's in egg yolks, dairy fat and oily fish. get out of the house every day even if it's not for the vitamin D
  • jenniferwren
    Options
    Please go to your doctor asap xxx you do not need to feel like this, a good thought I use is "this is how I'm feeling now, but it's just a feeling and it will pass" the problem is it feels so real, it's awful, I'm so sorry for you that you are suffering, your doctor will help you xxx
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Diet wont change a chemical imbalance in your brain. I get annoyed when people think it will. Yeah, less caffeine may lessen 'jitters and shaking' but it's not going to cure the problem. See a Dr., dont fear meds, don't take more than prescribed & you'll feel much better. Good luck, you'll do fine. <hugs>
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm an anxiety-prone person, and I know lots of people feel medication has helped them. I am resisting that route. I just don't want psych drugs in my head if I can avoid it. I try to be aware of my mind racing toward anxious concerns that I cannot control. If I can't do anything about it, I refuse to worry about it. If I can do something about it, then I try to take at least one small action right away. It helps. It takes practice to stop myself, but I can improve it when I try.

Good luck!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Yes - see a doctor. But know that depending on your specific case, meds are not always needed. Sometimes, but not always.

It sounds a LOT like what I deal with, and I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. it's not fun. Not fun at all. I can think of things to worry about that would never cross the minds of most normal people.

I'll tell you one thing that is helping me - and a lot more than I could have imagined - exercise. For me it's running and walking. (but I would imagine other exercise would have a similar effect). It's had such a positive impact on my anxiety levels, that I'm now scared to skip more than 1 day in a row.
  • xkdrowex
    xkdrowex Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Me. GAD coupled with IBS for the past 14 years. (Anxiety is caused by the IBS I believe.)... I'm a shut in. Ativan, Pepto, and Imodium if I have to go anywhere. It sucks. See a doctor.. Hope you get feeling better. (hugs) It's awful to deal with but you are not alone.
  • Skellingtonx
    Skellingtonx Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with ptsd, severe panic disorder with agoraphobia. Of course first thing a doctor wanted was me to go on medication, but oddly enough I have a fear to medication as well. Im in therapy along with exposure therapy. I have to say though changing my diet an exercising have decreased my anxiety a whole ton. It's always better to seek help now before later, because I learned the hard way of waiting. I feared everything! Its amazing how our brains work. Sometimes even sugars will end up making me panic because it increases my heart rate an I just get to thinking all crazy things.

I would check what youre eating and seek a professional an see what options you have.
  • elliott82
    elliott82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    i had major anxiety and anger issues. and my anger issues were completely based on nothing. like getting unreasonably angry in my car at other drivers for NO reason. i would also just get super pent up about stuff and not be able to explain why i was so upset. i went to the doctor and explained my feelings. got on celexa and it made a WORLD of difference.

as he said, the point is to make you balanced. you shouldn't be a zombie, but you shouldn't always be on edge or on crying jags. talk to a doctor about it. one of the best decisions of my life.

i also want to note: two years after seeing the doctor and getting on something, i met my bf and realized he had some of the same issues. i've really had to talk to him about it. i don't think you see how you're acting until someone else sees it and tells you about it.

best of luck!
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Yes, I believe it's anxiety. I have the same issues....I've never sought treatment, though (except a sleep aid from time to time with my regular doctor). When there IS something to worry about, I worry. Then, when things are going great, I worry that it can't last and I worry about the "what ifs". I'm 47 years old, and it's not getting better. My twin sister is the same way. She does take meds, though, and it seems to help. I have to say, though, that exercise helps me alot. When I exercise every morning, I feel calmer during the day and I usually sleep better that night. (Sometimes on the treadmill, I pretend I'm "running away" from everything. Goofy, I know, but it helps me.)
    I think you should seek professional help (even if it's not medicated) to learn to cope better.
    Good luck!
  • OutsideCreativ
    OutsideCreativ Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    1. Keep an eye on what you are eating drinking. Blood sugar & caffine swings can worsen anxiety. Try to focus on low glycemic foods, which reduce the blood sugar swing.

2. A counselor told me one thing once that has helped me with anxiety every day since. Each time you come to a trigger, something that makes you worry... look at it as if you have two paths. You can go down the path of dread & worry, or you can go down the other path where you accept that things are fine and you have no reason to believe they will not continue to be fine. Each time you do it, it gets a little easier. This actually is working on two levels... first, it's helping you emotionally deflect your anxiety... second, each time you do this, you are literally creating and building up neuropathways and in effect can 'train your brain'. She told me this about 5 years -ago and I've been using it every day since- and it's gotten easier each time.

3. Don't be afraid to see a counselor. Many peolple do.
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Meditation, yoga, creating calming rituals, and a lot of being aware of the moment helps tremendously. Avoid caffeine, and eat a well balanced diet with lots of fruits, veggies and herbs. Personally I also found it helps to avoid processed foods whenever possible. Books helped me tremendously. I have trouble focusing when I try to read, so I tried audio books and I'm hooked. I listen to selfhelp type books. Deepak Chopra is my favorite. Marianne Williamson, Gabrielle Bernstein, Wayne Dyer, are amongst my favs.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    for me, the trick is to stop the "hamster wheel" effect. if i feel my brain racing away worrying about something, i have to hit the brakes, and ask myself a couple questions

1) can i do anything about this now? is this worrying helping me towards a decision, goal, anything helpful?
    2) what can i do this minute to calm down, a cup of tea? petting my dog? meditation? DO IT.
    3) reassess my problem, can i write down steps to accomplish my goal? can i plan ahead as to how i will handle it? i need a route to go down or else my worrying intensifies.

i'm about to get on some herbal remedies, i stopped taking meds about 2 years ago because i couldn't afford it, and was curious to see how i was without being on them.